The Student Room Group

A Level Edexcel SNAB Biology 25th May 2017 Discussion Thread

I don't know if there's a thread already for this, but how did you find paper 1 (topic 1 and 2)?

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was so difficult! I've lost so many marks and was surprised at the lack of cardiac cycle and DNA stuff. The last 2 pages threw me off, as did Meselson and Stahl and the weird triangle mink question. It was so hard I hope they lower the grade boundaries hopefully paper 2 is easier
Reply 2
Original post by bioenthusiast
I thought it was so difficult! I've lost so many marks and was surprised at the lack of cardiac cycle and DNA stuff. The last 2 pages threw me off, as did Meselson and Stahl and the weird triangle mink question. It was so hard I hope they lower the grade boundaries hopefully paper 2 is easier

what do you think the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by ella.k00
what do you think the grade boundaries will be?

Last year paper 1 was 45/80 for an A, 40 for a B and 35 for a C. However we did that paper for a mock and it wasn't as hard in my opinion as this year. So I'd imagine similar boundaries. Also why are there not many threads or discussion for this exam board do not many people do it? Also does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme
Reply 4

I was unable to do half of the last question because I ran out of time haha...

But in general, I did find stuff quite straightforward in terms of content but I feel I could potentially lose marks on the analyse to explain questions.
I think there were quite a few questions on DNA actually. There was one where you had to explain how nucleotides bonded together. And there was one where you had to compare a nucleotide of DNA with ATP.

The triangle mink question looked trippy intially as well, but you could look at other points and work out how the graph works.

The Meselson and Stahl question is basically about knowing what the experiment involved, but I think I spent waaayyyy too long on the question, so I was kinda time pressured near the end.

I have no idea on what the grade boundaries will be like because we are one of the first to do this specification.

However, my teacher said grade A is usually around 60% in terms of marks.
Reply 5
Last year paper 1 was 45/80 for an A, 40 for a B and 35 for a C. However we did that paper for a mock and it wasn't as hard in my opinion as this year. So I'd imagine similar boundaries. Also why are there not many threads or discussion for this exam board do not many people do it? Also does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme

so low im guessing?
Original post by ella.k00
so low im guessing?

I hope so
From memory this is what I remember came up if anyone has anything else please add

6 marks on Daphnia but applied to spiderfish
4 marks enzymes practical
4 marks substrate comparison of rate of reaction
3 marks artery adapted for high blood pressure
3 marks atherosclerosis
6 marks CF and reproductive/digestive systems
2 marks percentage increase
2 marks percentage in U.K.
3 marks ATP and DNA nucleotide comparison
2 marks glycogen storage
2 marks how glycogen is made
2 marks Nucleotide structure
1 mark question with triangle
3 marks Globular v Fibrous
4 marks Lungs
2 marks Why single cellular organisms don't need gas exchange system
2 marks Emphynesma
2 marks improvement to active transport experiment
4 marks How does the graph show active transport
2 marks glucose role in cell membrane
1 mark weight gain
3 marks ratio analysis
4 marks Meselson and Stahl
2 marks how atherosclerosis in one part of artery can affect other part of same artery
1 mark how is enzyme a catalyst
2 marks water as solvent
4 Multiple choice I can recall also
Reply 8
I hope so

i really want an A, but i dont know. I can settle for a b
Reply 9
Original post by Assssaid
Is this snab AS biology

Yes, Edexcel SNAB AS paper 1
My class got entered into AS last year and were very surprised with how low the grades boundaries were. My teacher's think, same with chemistry, for A2 and for probably AS that the boundaries will be low to get an E or D, but they'll be a big difference between an A, a B and a C.
How was the paper 2? What came up?
Reply 12
Original post by SquishyFishy
How was the paper 2? What came up?

Paper 2 is good, I felt like there weren't any questions that were really tricky.

The 6 marker on malaria was actually confusing at first, but realised it was a disguised natural selection question.
Ahh okay. Hoping my year will get a 6 mark question on natural selection. Anything else? Sorry, our exam is on Monday, and we have no clue what's gonna be on it. It's all of AS plus the first two topics from A2. We're trying to figure out what could come up based on what you guys had.

We can't ask our year 12s because they didn't get entered this year. They're having internal exams instead.
Reply 14
Original post by SquishyFishy
Ahh okay. Hoping my year will get a 6 mark question on natural selection. Anything else? Sorry, our exam is on Monday, and we have no clue what's gonna be on it. It's all of AS plus the first two topics from A2. We're trying to figure out what could come up based on what you guys had.

We can't ask our year 12s because they didn't get entered this year. They're having internal exams instead.

I've actually made a paper 2 discussion thread, which you can find through my profile if you are interested in what came up.
Original post by Baaah
I've actually made a paper 2 discussion thread, which you can find through my profile if you are interested in what came up.

Thank you. It's just been so difficult to find AS threads.
Reply 16
From memory this is what I remember came up if anyone has anything else please add

6 marks on Daphnia but applied to spiderfish
4 marks enzymes practical
4 marks substrate comparison of rate of reaction
3 marks artery adapted for high blood pressure
3 marks atherosclerosis
6 marks CF and reproductive/digestive systems
2 marks percentage increase
2 marks percentage in U.K.
3 marks ATP and DNA nucleotide comparison
2 marks glycogen storage
2 marks how glycogen is made
2 marks Nucleotide structure
1 mark question with triangle
3 marks Globular v Fibrous
4 marks Lungs
2 marks Why single cellular organisms don't need gas exchange system
2 marks Emphynesma
2 marks improvement to active transport experiment
4 marks How does the graph show active transport
2 marks glucose role in cell membrane
1 mark weight gain
3 marks ratio analysis
4 marks Meselson and Stahl
2 marks how atherosclerosis in one part of artery can affect other part of same artery
1 mark how is enzyme a catalyst
2 marks water as solvent
4 Multiple choice I can recall also

?can you be more specific por favor?
(edited 6 years ago)
@Baaah @bioenthusiast @ella.k00 I have the papers if you want to look over them.
Original post by sulaimanali
@Baaah @bioenthusiast @ella.k00 I have the papers if you want to look over them.

Yes please !! Can you send me them
@Baaah @bioenthusiast - Got Paper 1 mark scheme too..

Quick Reply

Latest