Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

move in or stay home watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ive still not decided whether to move in accomadation or not lol. the thing is it would take 45 mins - hour to get there on bus but i would only be in 3 days a week. my mum has said shed convert a spare room into a study at home for me but it still wouldn't get round the problem of constantly hearing the loud TV downstairs

so theres the option of staying at home and having 2 rooms - bedroom and study, and only paying about £2000 for tutition
    or....
    moving in accomodation and having a social life but paying £4000 and being in serious debt when i leave

can any1 help me out

ReputationRep:
    move out, I wouldn't want to give up the social life and the privacy from parents factor.

ReputationRep:
    its strange to hear of everyone moving away to uni. Only kids who come from WAY out west get accom. People here just usually live at home and do uni as a day uni. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    get your parents to clean the wax from their ears and lower the volume of the TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    ive still not decided whether to move in accomadation or not lol. the thing is it would take 45 mins - hour to get there on bus but i would only be in 3 days a week. my mum has said shed convert a spare room into a study at home for me but it still wouldn't get round the problem of constantly hearing the loud TV downstairs

so theres the option of staying at home and having 2 rooms - bedroom and study, and only paying about £2000 for tutition
    or....
    moving in accomodation and having a social life but paying £4000 and being in serious debt when i leave

can any1 help me out
    emma, you should move out..its part of uni, when you're not studying. you know.. but if you're really worry about the money then i guess you'll have to stay at home..

by the way, i think you should decide quick, you wont have priority over others..

ReputationRep:
    mooooooooooove

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    mooooooooooove
    ur booody

ReputationRep:
    You have to move out! I cannot wait to get away from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    ur booody
    giiiiiiiirl

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends if you can afford to move out, if moving out means working 30 hours a week, getting into huge debt and failing your degree its not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    im staying at home coz my uni is pretty near and i dnt wana spend money on accomodation if i cud be living at home! wud rather spend money on more important things like text books :rolleyes: cough alcohol cough .....

ReputationRep:
    Move in :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd move into accommodation - the whole uni experience is a once in a lifetime thing, and I think independence and a whole new lifestyle is a big part of it. If you don't like it, you can always move back home later in your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Personally I'd move into accommodation - the whole uni experience is a once in a lifetime thing, and I think independence and a whole new lifestyle is a big part of it. If you don't like it, you can always move back home later in your course.
    hmm thanks for all ure replies, the thing is i wouldnt be able to move back once ive agreed to spending 40 weeks there id lose a load of money but im sure id like it anyway
    its not a big thing but ive got an hamster to look after at home so id be coming home now and again anyway :rolleyes:
    the main reason i wanna move in is the social life coz here i have none whatsoever however i dont think paying £4000 is worth it

ReputationRep:
    you should definatly move out - you'll meet soooo many new people and you'll get a lot more out of uni if you go....quite a few people move out into halls in the first year to make friends etc and then move back for their 2nd and 3rd years to save money and for a better studying environment so maybe you should think about doing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woox)
    you should definatly move out - you'll meet soooo many new people and you'll get a lot more out of uni if you go....quite a few people move out into halls in the first year to make friends etc and then move back for their 2nd and 3rd years to save money and for a better studying environment so maybe you should think about doing that
    yea i suppose my hamster will still be alive next year is it far too late to get out a student loan etc now? uni begins late september

ReputationRep:
    I know the money is a big consideration but I'd recommend moving out - not only do you get the social life, the independence is a big thing and hugely useful later on in life. The way I see it, I can pay off my debts once I start working; but if I'd stayed at home I would probably not have left for a very long time, so never got the experience of living on my own and looking after myself.

Having said this - don't you already have to have declared whether or not you're living at home before you can get a student loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    yea i suppose my hamster will still be alive next year is it far too late to get out a student loan etc now? uni begins late september
    Aha! Well I think you can apply now but you might not get the money right at the start of the term. If you do get a loan out though do it as soon as possible!

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't u move into halls for the first year and then in the 2nd year either choose to live at home or get a place with friends...? Then at least you'll have one year of independence.

ReputationRep:
    personally, id move out for your first year.

if you dont like it/find its too expensive you can live at home for your 2nd and subsequent years.

however, if you find that you dont like living at home you'll be stuck there because you wont have the same level of friendship as people who have already lived together and may struggle to find someone to share with in the second year.

you wont have the same chance of friendship if you dont live at uni, as you said you'd only be there for 3 days, and most of that time you'll be in lectures. its the sunday evenings when theres nothing to do but sit around and chat is when you make your real friends.

love Katy ***

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.