Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Platanes!

Thats where I was. I chose my large, spacious room! The best!

ReputationRep:
    Woo!! Got my accommodation stuff through this morning. Turns out I got the Brian Creamer House - my first choice. Really wasn't expecting it.

Now I've just got to start worrying about not ending up friendless.

ReputationRep:
    got mine yesterday- wolfson house

ReputationRep:
    Hey people.

What date are you all going down??? I know everyones agreements start on the 18th, but there doesnt appear to be any freshers activities till the 21st, so what are we supposed to do till then?? Plus, due to parents being away, I might not be able to make it until the 19th anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Got mine this morning -Stamford Street (hiya fellow resident eternal sunshine!). It was my first choice so I'm very happy!! Is everybody planning to go up to the open days next week?

ReputationRep:
    I am going down on the 18th with some of my stuff, my parents are coming down for the day then (mainly to help me carry the stuff on the plane) and then they are coming down the next weekend with the rest of the stuff in the car and staying in London a couple of nights because they have a holiday weekend.

ReputationRep:
    I will be living at Stamford Street, wohoo! I'm so excited right now! Lots of forms to fill in though..

ReputationRep:
    I got into Kings through clearing, so have been allocated a place in the King's College halls my course is based at the Strand Campus, so I'll have a 40min bus journey every morning. I'm not sure whether to accept the place of find accommodation elsewhere... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weirdo)
    I got into Kings through clearing, so have been allocated a place in the King's College halls my course is based at the Strand Campus, so I'll have a 40min bus journey every morning. I'm not sure whether to accept the place of find accommodation elsewhere... :confused:
    Like I said above mate, Kings College Hall on the face of it is rubbish. It's old, and the catered food isn't great (breakfast is nice though). The thing that makes it is the social life. If you make an effort at KCH, you will never be short of friends or things to do. It is far superior to Stamford Street or Dover Street in terms of the social life you'll have.

Quote from above, by me!
    This time last year I was really disapointed when allocated by 14th choice, King's College Hall. Now I am so glad that I didn't go anywhere else - it is an amazing place socially despite being a little old and manky.... I would have stayed there again this year (albeit in one of the big cosy rooms in Platanes) if I hadn't found such a great flat already.

Will definitely be trying to slip in to the parties and the bar etc next year, and any of you going to KCH, I'll probably see you in the pub - The Fox on The Hill or some of the cooler bars in Camberwell...
    On arrival, ask if you can get a room in Platanes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Like I said above mate, Kings College Hall on the face of it is rubbish. It's old, and the catered food isn't great (breakfast is nice though). The thing that makes it is the social life. If you make an effort at KCH, you will never be short of friends or things to do. It is far superior to Stamford Street or Dover Street in terms of the social life you'll have.

KCH RULES!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I second that.

ReputationRep:
    Mm.. is travelling down to the Strand Campus easy from KCH though?

ReputationRep:
    Yeap. 15-20 minutes away by train to Blackfriars from Denmark Hill (regular and prompt service). Demark Hill Station is outside the Halls. Blackfriars station is a 5 minute walk from the campus.

Dont forget that there will be loads of people taking that route. Just as well because Denmark Hill Station is quite dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    i haven't received my forms yet!!!!
    but i've called the office up and been told i've been allocated to great dover st apartments! (my 1st choice!)

now...when is the deadline to send the forms back? is it really one week from the postmarked date? coz i believe it's been a week since they've been sent out...in which case i must call them tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    I think we all have to accept by the 1st of September - but I'm sure in your case they'd make an allowance.

I think I'm going to be the only Law student amongst all the Medics at Great Dover Street!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonCynic)
    Yeap. 15-20 minutes away by train to Blackfriars from Denmark Hill (regular and prompt service). Demark Hill Station is outside the Halls. Blackfriars station is a 5 minute walk from the campus.

Dont forget that there will be loads of people taking that route. Just as well because Denmark Hill Station is quite dodgy.
    I'm just worried about the fact that it's quite far away from the uni. What if I'm out late... what time do the trains run till? Getting around will be quite difficult during freshers week. I suppose they should calm down a bit after that coz I'll meet other people living in the KCH, but still.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecossaise)
    I think we all have to accept by the 1st of September - but I'm sure in your case they'd make an allowance.

I think I'm going to be the only Law student amongst all the Medics at Great Dover Street!
    I have no idea who I'm gonna be with in the Brian Creamer House. Its quite near the Strand, Waterloo and St Thomas', so it could be a good mix. As long as there are some fellow law students with me.

Does anyone know what is taught in St Thomas'??

ReputationRep:
    I'm just worried about the fact that it's quite far away from the uni. What if I'm out late... what time do the trains run till?

They run until 11 -12 pm but I suggest you dont use them after 9pm/dark. I did but I was also slightly crazier in those days.

At these times, a bus down to and from Elephant and Castle tube station is advisable. A bus service after 12pm from outside Kings strand campus 68/468/176 drops you outside the halls.

Getting around will be quite difficult during freshers week. I suppose they should calm down a bit after that coz I'll meet other people living in the KCH, but still..

This is something you will not appreciate through words but being at KCH is an experience in itself. The reason for this lies in the very fact that it is so detached spatially, from the main campus. Dinner times and the Common room are real bonding places.

Does anyone know what is taught in St Thomas'??

Largely post graduate medicine (85%). Final year medics (12.5%). Some one off Bsc lectures also run there (2.5%). Statistics made up on the spot

ReputationRep:
    ive only confirmed my place recently at kings college. is there any chance of me getting accomodation, more particularly chnace for me getting accomodation at greta dover street??

any info will be much appreciated.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Kinda difficult if you are in London already. Great Dover street is huge but there is almost nil chance an offer. I didnt get a place in any of my 3 years there!

Thing to do is to go to accomodation office at the Strand as soon as possible and beg and plead that you want to use your 'guaranteed place in halls' this year.

Say you are willing to be put anywhere (even KCH lol ) and that you are really keen on being with first year people, even if it means Oct or Dec entry.

See what happens.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.