personal statements Watch

This discussion is closed.
s4ch1117
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hi

i need to start writting my ucas personal statement soon and it needs to be impressive as i didnt do too well in my AS levels. so my question is what sort of thing do i have to write in it? (sorry dont know too much about this type of thing)

thanks for any replies
W*W*J*D
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm guessing your going to A2 so basically put your
*interests that relate to degree subject
*extra activities @ school/college
*work experience?
*why u chose your A2s
hope this helps :cool:
angelx
Report 14 years ago
Hi,

1) Well start off by saying what course u wanna do and why. The first paragraph is always important!
2)Tell them how ur choice of AS levels help u to support ur desired degree choice
3)Talk about the work experience/work shadowing, if u've done any and if u can,try to relate it to the course ur planning to do
4)Then tell them about the school activities u've participated in and also ur interests outside of school cos the unis do not want a super intelligent person who has no life but some1 who's smart enough,sociable, willing to learn and at the same time can contribute smth non-academicly
5)There should also be a paragraph about ur results. If u did well in ur GCSEs then DO 'brag' about it cos they r v important too.If u did not do as well as u've hoped in ur ASs and are planning to re-take some modules then again tell them.
My GCESs werent so good but I did well in my AS levels so what I did is I told them why I didnt do well in my GCSEs (u can think of an excuse for urself too with ur ASs )
Besides, u can always deny ur AS grades, so that unis wont know about them and will base their decision on ur GCSEs and ur predicted A level grades.
6)Finally, like in all the esseys there should be a good conclusion. Just sum up on all the good points u ve said about urself.
anyway good luck!
Pemberley_1813
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=angelx]Hi,

1) Well start off by saying what course u wanna do and why. The first paragraph is always important!

Hello,

I am a bit puzzled by your advice. Do I really have to say which course I want to study? I took it for granted that the people who read my PS know what I'm applying for. Besides I think it sounds really boring to write: "I want to study this-and-that because...". As you say the first paragraph is very important and so I wanted to start with something more personal. Is that all wrong?
In general should the PS be very matter-of-fact or can it include private things, feelings etc.?
Thanks.
~Sam~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=Pemberley_1813]
(Original post by angelx)
Hi,

Hello,

I am a bit puzzled by your advice. Do I really have to say which course I want to study? I took it for granted that the people who read my PS know what I'm applying for. Besides I think it sounds really boring to write: "I want to study this-and-that because...". As you say the first paragraph is very important and so I wanted to start with something more personal. Is that all wrong?
In general should the PS be very matter-of-fact or can it include private things, feelings etc.?
Thanks.
The unis will know what subject you are applying to, but they will still want to no why. This is very important because it shows them your passion for the course. In fact, I would say that talking about the subject is the most important part of a PS. What subject are you studying?

I would think it's fine to include private thoughts, after all, it's a statement about you!
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is not necessary to directly say what you are studying, although saying it might be in your favour in showing dedication towards the subject, as people who don't do it often apply for different courses.
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
It is not necessary to directly say what you are studying, although saying it might be in your favour in showing dedication towards the subject, as people who don't do it often apply for different courses.
was my pm useful? mine wasnt the greatest ps in the world, but i got 5 offers and two interviews
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
was my pm useful? mine wasnt the greatest ps in the world, but i got 5 offers and two interviews
It's excellent buddy Thanks alot.
angelx
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pemberley_1813)
Hello,

Thanks.
yeah, they do know what ur applying for but,like Sam said, u have to show them how dedicated or passionate u r about the course u've chosen and that ur not one of those who's applying for the course cos his/her parents told them to do so. They would want to teach some1 who's interested in the course and is willing to learn rather than those who r jus there for the sake of it!
And of course, it may sound v boring saying ''i wanna do this or that cos ....'' but ur job is to make it more interesting and why not make it personal, even the first paragraph!Saying how certain things in ur life and ur feelings and attitude towards certain things/issues have helped u realise what it is u wanna do with ur life, can be seen as a v personal thing, to me anyway!

Anyway u dont have to follow all the bullet points I've made, I was jus trying to give u an idea of what my PS was like and wat things they r expecting to c in urs.
good luck!
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On the UCAS apply guide on the internet, they will tell you a precise list of what to write on the personal statement.
Pemberley_1813
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
The unis will know what subject you are applying to, but they will still want to no why. This is very important because it shows them your passion for the course. In fact, I would say that talking about the subject is the most important part of a PS. What subject are you studying?

I would think it's fine to include private thoughts, after all, it's a statement about you!
Hi Sam and Angelx,

thanks for your replies! I'm applying for English at Oxford and of course, I'll talk about my passion for the subject in my PS.
I wanted to start like that:
"Being the daughter of a librarian I grew up with books and so reading has always played an important role in my life" (or something like that, it's only my first draft so far)
I'll go on about school, my special interests, a writing-award I've received, work experiences I've had etc.
Do you think that'll be all right? Thanks.
s4ch1117
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
cheers for the help guys its been useful
angelx
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pemberley_1813)
Hi Sam and Angelx,

thanks for your replies! I'm applying for English at Oxford and of course, I'll talk about my passion for the subject in my PS.
I wanted to start like that:
"Being the daughter of a librarian I grew up with books and so reading has always played an important role in my life" (or something like that, it's only my first draft so far)
I'll go on about school, my special interests, a writing-award I've received, work experiences I've had etc.
Do you think that'll be all right? Thanks.
yeah, thats perfectly fine
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.54%
No (392)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise