PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Education Reform (Wales) Repeal Bill 2017, TSR Government

Education Reform (Wales) Repeal Bill 2017

An Act to repeal provisions of the Education Reform Act 2015 and devolve powers over education to the National Assembly for Wales.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Repeal
(1) Section 1 of the Education Reform (Wales) Act 2015 is hereby repealed.

2: Devolution
(1) The National Assembly for Wales is responsible for all aspects of education in Wales, including teachers’ pay and conditions.

3: Extent
This Act extends to Wales.

4: Commencement
The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.

5: Short Title
This Act may be cited as the Education Reform Repeal Act 2017.

Notes
The decision to return powers over education to Westminster was passed as part of a wider set of reforms as part of the Education Reform (Wales) Repeal Act 2015. The section in question is as follows:

1: Transfer of Powers
(1) Powers over education previously devolved to the National Assembly for Wales shall be returned to the UK Government.

This causes confusion as to what is consequently canon and what is not, with the possibility that bills are applied to Wales as well as England without a synchronisation ever taking place.

It is therefore best, particularly now that we have the Second Canon Amendment and can make changes to primary legislation as if we were the Assembly, that this section is repealed.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.

A nice procedural bill to end the term with.

For clarity, the actual effect on the competences of the MHoC should mean no effect on the ability to pass bills relating to education in Wales (because this can be done by invoking the Second Canon Amendment) but would presumably prohibit the TSR government from passing SoIs or other non-legislative items relating to devolved competences in the field of education (which when the provisions of the (RL) Wales Act 2017 kick in should be effectively everything).

What it does allow is for the natural order of devolution to be restored (especially given the OECD are generally happy with the direction of travel as regards educaiton policy in Wales and that was the reason powers were un-devolved at the time) and to ensure there is no confusion over whether a policy introduced in RL England since the section being repealed was passed applied to TSR England and TSR Wales or just TSR England.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Funding implications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think this Bill should also be produced in Welsh.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Funding implications?
I think we can say neutral because no funding implications were considered when the original was passed. Whatever changes that would have taken place under the original section that were not considered at the time will now be reversed.

(Original post by barnetlad)
I think this Bill should also be produced in Welsh.
Unfortunately as it's a UK bill there is no publishing in Welsh. If I ever write an Assembly bill for this place under the Second Canon Amendment I might be tempted to do it bilingually if I can get my head around the legalese.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
aye
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I think we can say neutral because no funding implications were considered when the original was passed. Whatever changes that would have taken place under the original section that were not considered at the time will now be reversed.

Unfortunately as it's a UK bill there is no publishing in Welsh. If I ever write an Assembly bill for this place under the Second Canon Amendment I might be tempted to do it bilingually if I can get my head around the legalese.
What I mean is would central government funding remain in line with English spending (plus Barnett allowance because for some reason that's still a thing) with any extra having to be provided by the Welsh government according to whatever powers it has.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
What I mean is would central government funding remain in line with English spending (plus Barnett allowance because for some reason that's still a thing) with any extra having to be provided by the Welsh government according to whatever powers it has.
Funding will be at RL levels excepting any changes set out in a Budget dictating otherwise. Barnett consequentials will work as they normally do.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Funding will be at RL levels excepting any changes set out in a Budget dictating otherwise. Barnett consequentials will work as they normally do.
A simple yes would have sufficed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.

Education can be used as a tool to bias political opinion (as showed by making Welsh mandatory).
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Education can be used as a tool to bias political opinion (as showed by making Welsh mandatory).
First of all Welsh was not introduced to the school system in the devolution era, secondly I don't know what teaching a language has to do with biasing political opinion?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Nay.

It's worth noting that Welsh is the only de jure official language in the whole of the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To make things more interesting, it should be remembered the Barnett Formula has been replaced on TSR.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
To make things more interesting, it should be remembered the Barnett Formula has been replaced on TSR.
Can you remember what Act that was – not that it should affect the basic principle of what I said?
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Education in Wales hasn't improved, still below the national average and is more or less the same as it was 10 years ago. Subjects such as Science is in fact seeing a decline over the last 10 years.

Nay.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can you remember what Act that was – not that it should affect the basic principle of what I said?
It was the Funding of Nations Bill 2014, which I believe was the first bills I contributed to writing.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
It was the Funding of Nations Bill 2014, which I believe was the first bills I contributed to writing.
OK, I'm not entirely sure how that works with the new income tax devolution and resultant funding framework. Presumably devolution of income tax remains Canon.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. Revoke devolution!
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.