The Student Room Group

Evolution requires more faith than religion.

In my opinion, evolution requires more faith than religion.

Evolution: Everything came from nothing
Religion: God made everything

At least religion has an explanation, albeit a supernatural one...

Evolution: Somehow, amino acids just decided to come together which made cells which somehow made humans and all other life

Religion: An omniscient god intelligently created humans and other living beings

Again, at least religion has an explaination, like seriously how can we just emerge from nothing?

Evolution: We have no point in life apart from just being here as a consequence of some amino acids coming together just right (nearly always leads to nihilism)

Religion: We all have a purpose on the earth and have a moral conscience and a moral code to live by (very rarely if ever leads to nihilism)

If anyone has arguments to the contrary I would love to hear them

Scroll to see replies

Where did the god come from?
Original post by Zorox1911

Evolution: Somehow, amino acids just decided to come together which made cells which somehow made humans and all other life

Religion: An omniscient god intelligently created humans and other living beings

Again, at least religion has an explaination, like seriously how can we just emerge from nothing?

Evolution: We have no point in life apart from just being here as a consequence of some amino acids coming together just right (nearly always leads to nihilism)

Religion: We all have a purpose on the earth and have a moral conscience and a moral code to live by (very rarely if ever leads to nihilism)

You refer to nihilism as if science and evolution requires there to be a greater explanation when it doesn't. So you're wrong in that aspect. Nihilism is about life being meaningless, evolution is about life being part of a process and an inevitability due to the way the universe works, a fundamental concept we need to accept.

You've also simplified the evolution argument into something rather nonsensical, another fallacy there. Science is ever expanding and we still don't know everything there is to know about how the universe was created. Also there is more evidence for the big bang theory than there is for a god so the religious argument easily requires more faith.

Religion actually acknowledges that fundamental to its argument is faith whereas science has reasoning, why are you trying to refute this?
Evolutionary theory does provide an explanation. You just don't understand it properly.
Reply 4
The Big Bang theory is based on the idea that everything was brought into being from nothing, that's impossible... even a child realises you can't create something from nothing.

Also, how can cells become sentient if they weren't in the first place? How did evolution ( a highly random process) produce such an intricate body with such little room for manoeuvre (for example in body temperature) all of this points to inteligent design as opposed to some cell magically transforming itself into organ systems and creating humans and other living beings...

Original post by lolfloplol
You refer to nihilism as if science and evolution requires there to be a greater explanation when it doesn't. So you're wrong in that aspect. Nihilism is about life being meaningless, evolution is about life being part of a process and an inevitability due to the way the universe works, a fundamental concept we need to accept.

You've also simplified the evolution argument into something rather nonsensical, another fallacy there. Science is ever expanding and we still don't know everything there is to know about how the universe was created. Also there is more evidence for the big bang theory than there is for a god so the religious argument easily requires more faith.

Religion actually acknowledges that fundamental to its argument is faith whereas science has reasoning, why are you trying to refute this?
Reply 5
Original post by Vikingninja

God created time itself.
Reply 6
Well in that case explain it to me

Original post by Sternumator
Evolutionary theory does provide an explanation. You just don't understand it properly.

You're being extremely ignorant. Evolution does not require faith, because evolution isn't an idea, a religion or anything like that. There is scientific proof that it is real.

After reading what you said there, it seems to me that you're not quite ready to accept the harsh truth, and are therefore going for the sugar-coated option: God/ creationism. I understand where you're coming from, though.

Also, it is not only possible that the amino acids you're talking about have evolved from nothing, it has been demonstrated that matter can create itself out of nothing. Look up some studies and you'll see what I am talking about.

Furthermore, I feel the need to mention the fact that you're treating atheism - which I know you don't mention - as a religion. It's not. Atheism doesn't make any claims. It is simply the lack of belief in gods of any kind.
Reply 8
God exists outside of time. Where did the Big Bang come from? At least we have a supernatural explaination, evolution doesn't even have that o_o

Reply 9
Proof? If anything there is a dire lack of evidence for it. Where if the fossil records proving descent from one ancestor? Why would evolution happen? Also, why are dark skinned people living in hotter areas when white skin would be preferable in term of the heat. That alone brings natural selection into question.

But, if you could link me said evidence I would be more than happy to consider it

Original post by Rhaenys10
You're being extremely ignorant. Evolution does not require faith, because evolution isn't an idea, a religion or anything like that. There is scientific proof that it is real.

After reading what you said there, it seems to me that you're not quite ready to accept the harsh truth, and are therefore going for the sugar-coated option: God/ creationism. I understand where you're coming from, though.

Also, it is not only possible that the amino acids you're talking about have evolved from nothing, it has been demonstrated that matter can create itself out of nothing. Look up some studies and you'll see what I am talking about.

Furthermore, I feel the need to mention the fact that you're treating atheism - which I know you don't mention - as a religion. It's not. Atheism doesn't make any claims. It is simply the lack of belief in gods of any kind.
Original post by desaf1
God created time itself.

God exists outside of time. Where did the Big Bang come from? At least we have a supernatural explaination, evolution doesn't even have that o_o

Doesn't answer the question. Has to have been created by something before which isn't answered.
The primordial soup theory you have suggest is separate from evolution theory. So, don't conflate the two. Also a supernatural explanation isn't evidence, proof or even an explanation. Just ******** anyone can make up.
A scientific theory isn't the same thing as when we call our ideas a "theory".
The Evolution theory has a lot of evidence illustrating it to be true.
The origin of life is still debated with quite a few different theories. You simply used a strawman to further your weirdass argument and put yourself on a pedestal.
But surely God came from nothing? Its just as ridiculous to suggest that some guy with magic powers suddenly appeared to create space and time
I think you're confusing evolution and the Big Bang theory, they are not the same thing. The Big Bang theory is about how the universe came about, evolution is about how lifeforms change.
Proof? If anything there is a dire lack of evidence for it. Where if the fossil records proving descent from one ancestor? Why would evolution happen? Also, why are dark skinned people living in hotter areas when white skin would be preferable in term of the heat. That alone brings natural selection into question.

But, if you could link me said evidence I would be more than happy to consider it

There is irrefutable proof that evolution is real. You can choose to ignore it, but this doesn't make it any less true. Anyway, evolution happened because everything in this universe strives to survive.

Also, you're looking at things from a wrong angle. White skin isn't preferable in hot areas. People that live closer to the Equator have a higher concentration of melanin in their skin because they needed more protection. In Northern regions, they have whiter skin - almost see-through, in some cases - to facilitate Vitamin D retention.

The thing about science is, it doesn't make ridiculous claims like religion does. Non-believers accept that there are things that cannot be explained - for now, at least.

Here's a link for you:
https://phys.org/news/2010-12-theoretical-physics-breakthrough-antimatter-vacuum.html
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
The Big Bang theory is based on the idea that everything was brought into being from nothing, that's impossible... even a child realises you can't create something from nothing.

Exactly. I was a creationist in primary school because that's what made sense to my brain since everything in the world was based on my narrow perception of what was true.

When you study science you realise that not everything in the universe follows the simple ideas like e.g. "you can't create something from nothing". It seems like this rule must be true because everything that you see on Earth follows this rule. But strange things happen at the subatomic level that don't follow the Earth's rules.

It's the same with evolution : everything complex that you see has a creator so you assume that life must have been created. But then you study evolution and realise that there is a different explanation.
Reply 16
God existed before creation, therefore you can't apply to rules of the creation to the creator, that's simply idiotic.

To summarise, he wasn't created

Doesn't answer the question. Has to have been created by something before which isn't answered.
God existed before creation, therefore you can't apply to rules of the creation to the creator, that's simply idiotic.

To summarise, he wasn't created

Which is a completely nonsensical theory which doesn't have any proof that he existed before it, atleast evidence exists for the other scientific theories that you say against.
Reply 18
Back to the Big Bang theory, let's look at the second law of thermodynamics. It proves that order cannot emerge from chaos. Therefore intelligent life and an orderly cosmos could not emerge from a disorderly event such as the Big Bang.

Original post by notnek
Exactly. I was a creationist in primary school because that's what made sense to my brain since everything in the world was based on my narrow perception of what was true.

When you study science you realise that not everything in the universe follows the simple ideas like e.g. "you can't create something from nothing". It seems like this rule must be true because everything that you see on Earth follows this rule. But strange things happen at the subatomic level that don't follow the Earth's rules.

It's the same with evolution : everything complex that you see has a creator so you assume that life must have been created. But then you study evolution and realise that there is a different explanation.

-if you mean fossil records from a human common ancestor, they exist, if you mean fossil records from the earliest common ancestor of all life, they don't exist because that would have been some kind of microscopic organism without a skeleton.
-White skin would not be preferable in hotter areas, as it would burn. Please get away from your computer, go outside and experience sunburn, then read what you just wrote again and laugh at yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest