Leicester123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys i was thinking of commuting from London to Leicester for my third year at university. What do you guys think ?
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Leicester123)
Hey guys i was thinking of commuting from London to Leicester for my third year at university. What do you guys think ?
That's crazy.

You could rent a room for the cost of it and not spend 3 hours+ per day travelling.
.A_C.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello - I lived in halls for my first year of uni to meet new people, and get the 'student experience'. I go to Aberdeen Uni, however I decided to move back home for my 2nd year, and this Sept I will be commuting again for 3rd year.

It's about an hour in total door to door, on train + bus/walk. So about 2 hrs in total travelling to get to uni and back in a day. I found it to be a pain in the morning waking up 2 hrs earlier for 9ams, I had big gaps in my timetable so I had to hang around a lot to wait for classes, and got back home later. I felt really worn out after a day at uni, which is a major disadvantage.

However, you save a shed load of money - especially advantageous for you paying 27k just to step foot in your institution, which frankly is unfair. You also have your own home comforts. I was considering moving back to Aberdeen but by the time I make a meal and do the washing up, I can get back to my home - so I feel like there isn't much point spending 5k for halls or a flat for the year when I would stay at home most of the time.

It's totally up to you. A quick google of your travel circumstances looks quite timely, about 1.5 hrs to get there, so that would be about 3 hrs a day?
Sophia32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Leicester 123,

What did you decide to do in the end? I'm also considering this option as I'm a mature student and already have an established life at home in London.

Thanks
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Commute from London to Leicester? Lol
Sophia32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Commute from London to Leicester? Lol
I think it's a very person to person thing and unless you've lived in London you've no idea. We're not all 18 yrs old and left our parents. My degree is linked to my job and other than Brighton, DMU was the only university to provide it. I do more work than some of the people in class so I'll be okay lol back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (196)
71.27%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
17.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (31)
11.27%

Watched Threads