Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me the difference between AS F.Maths and A-level normal maths? Does a level normal maths cancel out AS f maths, and is there an overlap between the modules taken? This is for edexcel.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There is no overlap...u do 6 modules for normal maths and fo As f maths u do 3 more modules and some of them are compulsary

ReputationRep:
    And P4 is compulsory for AS Further Maths.

This is the case for OCR, but should apply to Edexcel as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxyStar)
    And P4 is compulsory for AS Further Maths.

This is the case for OCR, but should apply to Edexcel as well.
    Yeah, that's right.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm thinking of doing an AS F. Maths in my second year
    possible P4, P5 and either S1 or D1

Can anyone give me advice onthe most difficult topics in the above modules and the best way/resources to learn them from

Danker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzy)
    Hey,

I'm thinking of doing an AS F. Maths in my second year
    possible P4, P5 and either S1 or D1

Can anyone give me advice onthe most difficult topics in the above modules and the best way/resources to learn them from

Danker

Haven't done any of the above apart from S1. S1 is not very demanding. It's not very hard to get an A, but to get a high UMS for S1 is a challenging task. Actually, just put it in this way, basically S1 and D1 are both of "1" level, which is the lowest. What makes them seem horrible is that we're not familiar with the stuff, not like P1. That's why they're not difficult at all.

While my friend said that P5 is real something.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't done any of the above apart from S1. S1 is not very demanding. It's not very hard to get an A, but to get a high UMS for S1 is a challenging task. Actually, just put it in this way, basically S1 and D1 are both of "1" level, which is the lowest. What makes them seem horrible is that we're not familiar with the stuff, not like P1. That's why they're not difficult at all.

While my friend said that P5 is real something.
    i found P5 the hardest and got my lowest UMS for it (76)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralNeo)
    i found P5 the hardest and got my lowest UMS for it (76)
    Oh Dear, I am planning to teach P4-P6 to myself during my gap year...ur scaring me now
    Did u teach it to urself? I know this depends on ones ability but in your opinion is it possible to do these 3 pure modules without anyone’s help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Oh Dear, I am planning to teach P4-P6 to myself during my gap year...ur scaring me now
    Did u teach it to urself? I know this depends on ones ability but in your opinion is it possible to do these 3 pure modules without anyone’s help?
    read this...

this will boost ur confidence..as i did it in the most unlikeliest circumstances u can do it too

ReputationRep:
    read this...

this will boost ur confident..as i did it in the most unlikeliest circumstances u can do it too

Well done mate, I rate for "English Lit/Lang:A/B".
    How come 2 for step III and 3 for Step II....i thought II was easier :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    dont know myself i was hopin 1 on STEP II
    i attempted 6 questions on STEP II 3 answered in full and 3 nearly full...
    i attempted 3 questions on STEP III 1 full, 1 partial, 1 less than half!!

dont know what happened there... :rolleyes:
    did it for fun so doesnt really matter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)

Roughly, Step I & II has the same syllibus as A-level maths but Step II harder than I, while in order to do Step III, you need knowledge of F.Maths. That makes the difference and personally I believe Step II is more difficult, though I've never seen it

ReputationRep:
    Roughly, Step I & II has the same syllibus as A-level maths but Step II harder than I, while in order to do Step III, you need knowledge of F.Maths. That makes the difference and personally I believe Step II is more difficult, though I've never seen it
    lollll how can u think that STEP II is easier when u havent seen it?

ReputationRep:
    personally I believe Step II is more difficult, though I've never seen it
    lollll how can u think that STEP II is easier when u havent seen it?

I say I think Step II is harder...which means, in another words, Step III is easier.

Well, it's not bad a way to reassure myself so that I'll have the confidence to try Step II and III.

ReputationRep:
    I say I think Step II is harder...which means, in another words, Step III is easier.

Well, it's not bad a way to reassure myself so that I'll have the confidence to try Step II and III.
    i mixed that one up
    ur gonna do STEPs why? which year r u in? where u considering applying? for what? wot subjects u doin?

ReputationRep:
    read this...

this will boost ur confidence..as i did it in the most unlikeliest circumstances u can do it too
    I still don't know how you did it,but I wish I was as determained as you are,you deserve it man,good for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    I still don't know how you did it,but I wish I was as determained as you are,you deserve it man,good for you
    thanx alot...
    and before anyone says anything i want ot make it clear that im not boasting about my achievements but just wanted to show that if i did it in the most unlikeliest circumstances anyone can succedd with determination and will power...

ReputationRep:
    i mixed that one up
    ur gonna do STEPs why? which year r u in? where u considering applying? for what? wot subjects u doin?
    Coz I'm applying for Cam this Oct. that's why have to take Step... And I'm also considering Imperial, Warwick and Durham. Certainly, Imperial is a great choice and I'm soooooooooo interested in the Maths and Computing course though I don't do computing A/L. Dunno whether I can still apply for that.

My AS
    Double maths, Bus. Stud. and physics

ReputationRep:
    Coz I'm applying for Cam this Oct. that's why have to take Step... And I'm also considering Imperial, Warwick and Durham. Certainly, Imperial is a great choice and I'm soooooooooo interested in the Maths and Computing course though I don't do computing A/L. Dunno whether I can still apply for that.

My AS
    Phyiscs rocks,i dore that subject though still didn't decide wether to take it in A level or not,but it's just the something that can be understood,just like the light bulb that appears when someone have a new idea,in cartoon*LOL*and no I didn't get an A,but I adore the subject

ReputationRep:

My AS
    I AM going to do maths and computer science at imperial this october!! i didnt do computing u dont need any knowledge of computing and with f maths u can definitely get in...if u get an offer from cam then u will do STEPs or r u gonna do it anyway? which college u considering...i applied trinity (unsucessful _

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.