The Student Room Group

Chemistry help!!

Please help I have my chemistry exam today! Does an alcohol get completely oxidised to form a Ketone or a carboxylic acid ???? My notes say two different things 😱
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
if it's a primary alcohol then it gets oxidised to a carboxylic acid ^^ and if it's a secondary alcohol it is fully oxidised to a ketonetertiary alcohols have no reaction! Just depends on the type of alcohol you're looking at hun!
Reply 2
Original post by ruqs98
if it's a primary alcohol then it gets oxidised to a carboxylic acid ^^ and if it's a secondary alcohol it is fully oxidised to a ketonetertiary alcohols have no reaction! Just depends on the type of alcohol you're looking at hun!

Oh okay ! Thank you! I knew about primary secondary and tertiary but for some reason some of my notes say that primary alcohols can be partially oxidised to form an aldehyde and then completely oxidised to form a ketone and some say they are completely oxidised to form a carboxylic acid !!! Thanks for clearing that up for me lol would help if my notes were actually consistent 🙄😅
primary alcohol...partially is aldehyde
primary which is fully oxidised is carboxylic acid
secondary which is oxidised is ketone
tertiary cannot be oxidised
oh and don't forget h2o as the product..
Is this AQA ? Alcohols aren't in paper 1 I'm pretty sure?
It should be in Paper 2 (organic chemistry) and not Paper 1

Quick Reply

Latest