The Student Room Group

Getting kicked out of my sixth form

Hi there, my head of sixth form is essentially kicking me out of my sixth form due to my punctuality which I don't even consider to be bad enough for me to be kicked out ; attendance is 90% but I do have 30 lates over the course of the year( or at least threatening to do so). My main concern is whether I will be able to continue into year 13 at another school with all my subjects, however I missed my history exam during gcse but the school still allowed me to take it for alevel, so if I were to go to another school would I not be able to take history ?
(edited 6 years ago)
I can't see why not,as long as they're doing the same spec or a similar spec.
Are they serious? Just for punctuality? That's a bit of a stretch...
I'm sure they'll let you do history at the new school provided that you give a good reason for not having a gcse history grade for that exam.
Reply 3
Original post by DiligentBop
Hi there, my head of sixth form is essentially kicking me out of my sixth form due to my punctuality which I don't even consider to be bad enough for me to be kicked out ; attendance is 90% but I do have 30 lates over the course of the year( or at least threatening to do so). My main concern is whether I will be able to continue into year 13 at another school with all my subjects, however I missed my history exam during gcse but the school still allowed me to take it for alevel, so if I were to go to another school would I not be able to take history ?

what kind of sixth form kicks you out for punctuality.
Original post by Reality Check
With respect, it's not relevant whether you consider your attendance to be bad enough to be kicked out or not - clearly the school does and this is why they've made the decision.

However, I say 'decision' - has this action been formally taken, or have you and your parent(s)/guardian been notified that it is definitely going to happen. It's difficult and expensive to get rid of an unwanted pupil, and unless you have proof positive that they're going to remove you, it might well be a threat as a 'final warning'.

At the moment they're just threatening me no formal action has taken place
Original post by SugarBubbles2000
I'm sure they'll let you do history at the new school provided that you give a good reason for not having a gcse history grade for that exam.

Exactly what I thought , I must add no formal action has been taken however my head of year is saying at the end of the year when they review who will be continuing into year 13 it's unlikely I will be allowed to continue
Original post by SugarBubbles2000

Thanks, how should I go about applying?
Do rules not apply to you then?
It is a good lesson though.
30 plus lates is not acceptable
Get used to turning up on time. You would be sacked from a job for it.
Yes, I thought so. And it will remain just that - a threat. The easiest thing for you to do would be just to get there on time (whether or not you think it's important) and just keep your head down so you can do A levels you want to without a load of unnecessary fuss and hassle for you.

I have honestly been making a much better effort since he warned me about it before ( haven't been late in 3 weeks) however today I slipped up and skipped mass and he has tried to stick it on me again
Original post by Sammylou40
Do rules not apply to you then?
It is a good lesson though.
30 plus lates is not acceptable
Get used to turning up on time. You would be sacked from a job for it.

Big fella I was asking whether I can continue into year 13
Yep - he will. That's the point. He's going to find any infraction of the rules enough to add to the body of evidence which says 'get rid of this difficult pupil'.

So you can't be late at all. Not even once. Or he'll pounce on it.

What's the reason for this continued and sustained lateness? Is it just bad morning routine/getting up late? Or something more difficult to address?

Very bad morning routine , the bus i caught was essentially gambling as to whether I'd get to school on time, I now leave about 10 minutes earlier which really helps and I'm usually at school around 15 minutes early
Thanks, how should I go about applying?

Apply to all the schools nearby you or the ones you'd like to go to. Look out for open days etc and ring up the schools for more info and to see if they accept year 12 students for year 13 entry (some might not). For the history thing, you should express interest in studying the subject which they would take into consideration despite not sitting last year's exam.
If you show enthusiasm passion and determination for A2 they should overlook your circumstances. They may reject if they look at your reference and get into contact with the person you put as reference so be wary.
Good luck!
Big fella I was asking whether I can continue into year 13

Not big or a fella!
So rather than amend and conform you are looking for alternatives?
Original post by Sammylou40
Not big or a fella!
So rather than amend and conform you are looking for alternatives?

The head of sixth form has already told me to start looking for other schools, my question was whether I'd have to resit year 12 or carry on into year 13 at a different school
I've been threatened to be put on stage 1 of the school's report thing for missing about a third of tutors and assemblies I reckon. You only get kicked out if you get to stage 4 and I'm one of the school's best students so they would only kick me out if I did something really bad. Guess your school is just stricter about this stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest