Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've not seen a thread on Higher drama so far so I thought I would make one for people sitting the exam on Thursday to discuss the questions that may come up.

ReputationRep:
    Here are some possible stems that the SQA could use in the Performance Analysis Essay (among others):
    • Conflict
    • Climax / Key Moment
    • Message and Purpose
    • Tension
    • Contrasts / Similarities
    • Themes / Issues
    • Mood and Atmosphere
    • Characters
    • Opening / Closing

In 2016, the question was based around: Tension
    In 2015, the question was based around: Message and Purpose

It's probably not going to involve either of those this year.

ReputationRep:
    On a separate note, what texts are everyone studying this year?

My class has been doing The Crucible for Textual Analysis; Hamlet and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for Performance Analysis.

How did everyone's practical exams go? Are you happy with the performance/work you produced?

ReputationRep:
    My class is doing The Crucible for TA and a play called "The Cheviot, the Stag and the Black, Black Oil" for PA, which we went to see in September last year. My practical exam went really well and I'm hoping to get as many marks as I possibly can in that as I'm not that great at the essays. 😖

ReputationRep:
    What do ou guys think will be an option to write about for section two? Like sound/directing/acting/lighting etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lensash)
    What do ou guys think will be an option to write about for section two? Like sound/directing/acting/lighting etc
    I'm hoping it's: acting/directing/sound/set as these are the only ones I could write on. However I am considering learning lighting points as a backup. What I'm concerned about is that acting may not come up however directing is pretty similar so should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Quick question - I don't know whether my teacher is pushing me over the edge but do you all write plot summaries in your essays after the introduction?
    I've always written one for textual analysis, and only started to recently write one for production skills and don't know whether it's a waste of time to do so or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna340)
    Quick question - I don't know whether my teacher is pushing me over the edge but do you all write plot summaries in your essays after the introduction?
    I've always written one for textual analysis, and only started to recently write one for production skills and don't know whether it's a waste of time to do so or not.
    My teacher tells us not to because it's a waste of time - if you aren't going to get any marks for it, don't put it in. You can mention relevant plot points where needed throughout the essay to further your points made in the paragraph. Like my teacher says: don't waffle.

ReputationRep:
    Nah we don't we just do intro then first point

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm thinking of combining the two so I can't really go wrong.
    Doing House of Bernarda Alba (Rona Munro version) for textual analysis and Cuttin' a Rug for performance analysis.

Praying it's not genre for performance analysis because I have no idea why it's a comedy because I've only ever analysed moments of conflict or something of the like.

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find that? I thought the questions were great. I did the Performance Analysis first and then the Textual Analysis second. My TA essay was a tad rushed but apart from that, it was a decent paper. I'm just so happy that I've finished exams!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm thinking of combining the two so I can't really go wrong.
    Doing House of Bernarda Alba (Rona Munro version) for textual analysis and Cuttin' a Rug for performance analysis.

Praying it's not genre for performance analysis because I have no idea why it's a comedy because I've only ever analysed moments of conflict or something of the like.
    So genre came up lol, how'd it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _John6478)
    How did everyone find that? I thought the questions were great. I did the Performance Analysis first and then the Textual Analysis second. My TA essay was a tad rushed but apart from that, it was a decent paper. I'm just so happy that I've finished exams!
    Perfect tbh. Did the theme question for section 1 and section 2 I did tragicomedy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrunchieBoy)
    So genre came up lol, how'd it go?
    just my luck to be honest. the saving grace was the acting and directing, I've been getting 20/20 all year so there was no stress I couldn't write a good essay just I didn't like the question. I had planned genre as my worst case question, so was able to get through it comfortably and was able to take a new spin on the points that I'd made previously as to why those moments were actually funny.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Advanced Higher next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _John6478)
    Is anyone doing Advanced Higher next year?
    At our school we do NPA Acting and Performance or NPA Technical Theatre instead of Advanced Higher. I think it lets us focus more on the area that we like better, and the NPA course sounds more interesting than Advanced Higher. I'm doing NPA Acting and Performance next year and looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by françaisécossais)
    At our school we do NPA Acting and Performance or NPA Technical Theatre instead of Advanced Higher. I think it lets us focus more on the area that we like better, and the NPA course sounds more interesting than Advanced Higher. I'm doing NPA Acting and Performance next year and looking forward to it!
    Our school offers this too - however I'm unable to pick it because of Advanced Higher Computing. Still have school show to look forward to, though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I realise we got our results ages ago, but I haven't seen anyone talking about the Higher drama results. I was just wondering how you guys did? Our whole class did really badly. I only just scraped a B despite being predicted a high A, and when I was given my breakdown I was told I only got 15/40 on the writing section even though on my practice essays I was always getting around full marks. Not sure if I just had a bad day or anyone else had something similar happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehogwartsfairy)
    Hey guys, I realise we got our results ages ago, but I haven't seen anyone talking about the Higher drama results. I was just wondering how you guys did? Our whole class did really badly. I only just scraped a B despite being predicted a high A, and when I was given my breakdown I was told I only got 15/40 on the writing section even though on my practice essays I was always getting around full marks. Not sure if I just had a bad day or anyone else had something similar happen.

I wasn't allowed a breakdown, but I got a distinction so I'm assuming A1? I was allowed crack a guess and I was told it was around 55/60 for acting and 36/40 for essays.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B- 69%, 55 in my performance (10/10 for prep) and 24 in my essays (I really messed up on Performance Analysis). I was predicted an A too, so I was quite disappointed to end up so close. However, I'm thrilled I got nearly full marks in my performance and full marks on my textual analysis essay (I know I must have gotten full marks on textual because I only wrote like four points for performance analysis). Well done to you guys for getting As and Bs!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.