The Student Room Group

can you already have published your dissertation online

Hi!
I'm going to university of Brighton because apparently you can do creative dissertations, like films or graphic novels.
For mine I have wanted to finally complete and entire graphic novel (it is already started, but I heard this is not a problem), but a friend told me that they may not allow me to submit my comic if it is already published online (I was planning to post pages weekly as a webcomic), does anyone know if this is true?
Not much information out there for this as it's very specific, hope someone can help T_T
Thank you!
Original post by fawnboyo
Hi!
I'm going to university of Brighton because apparently you can do creative dissertations, like films or graphic novels.
For mine I have wanted to finally complete and entire graphic novel (it is already started, but I heard this is not a problem), but a friend told me that they may not allow me to submit my comic if it is already published online (I was planning to post pages weekly as a webcomic), does anyone know if this is true?
Not much information out there for this as it's very specific, hope someone can help T_T
Thank you!

You should talk to them and get clearance. There is an offence of self plagiairism, so watch out for that.
I did creative writing at nottingham and we couldn't use anything previously published for our dissertation. That included anything posted independently online. I'd check with your tutor. But also- dissertation isn't until 3rd year and you haven't started uni yet if I've read that correctly, so I'm sure you'll have more than 1 good idea for a graphic novel before then.

Quick Reply