OCR Eng. Lit GCSE mistake in exam - board apologises and Ofqual responds

Watch
StressyGirl 101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How did the exam go and what were you guys told? I heard that they might have to discredit that question so if you did better in R+J than the poems you're screwed.
NeedHelpHelpNeed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A teacher had to interrupt the exam about 1 hour and 20 minutes in when people started getting confused. Thank god i do Merchant of Venice - which in itself is not a good thing (boy would i rather be doing Macbeth!) But at least i didn't have to deal with this.
Alternatively, it good be seen as a good thing since people who answered this question will most likely be credited extra marks by default.
Darkly ironic that an English exam of all exams messes up the writing on their paper...
dx31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NeedHelpHelpNeed)
A teacher had to interrupt the exam about 1 hour and 20 minutes in when people started getting confused. Thank god i do Merchant of Venice - which in itself is not a good thing (boy would i rather be doing Macbeth!) But at least i didn't have to deal with this.
Alternatively, it good be seen as a good thing since people who answered this question will most likely be credited extra marks by default.
Darkly ironic that an English exam of all exams messes up the writing on their paper...
I did merchant of venice and Love and relationships, how did you find it?
NeedHelpHelpNeed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did conflict - the unseen was lovely, quite easy (I think). Although when i feel happy about my english exams, i never do well, and when i feel sad about what i wrote i weirdly do well, so...

I answered about Jessica and Shylock. I learned a ton of quotes for every character, but i mainly focused on revenge and justice, so im dissapointed none of them were major themes of the questions. Still, I didn't want to talk about Bassanio and i had quite a bit to say about Jessica and Shylock's attitude so i did that. It went well again, im happy, but it made me realise how badly i did in the paper 1 on monday! Hopefully the papers will average out to an ok score
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's the BBC article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40059967

What do candidates think of this? Who was affected by it?
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Completely embarrassing.
Drostina
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unbelievable!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
Completely embarrassing.
Isn't it. Heads will really roll for this.
sulaimanali
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OCR made a mistake in units for my chemistry exam today for AS and we received an erratum notice stating what to correct!
StressyGirl 101
Rep:
?
Yeah the unseen was easy for structure but tbh i just didn't have enough time to write more
dx31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NeedHelpHelpNeed)
I did conflict - the unseen was lovely, quite easy (I think). Although when i feel happy about my english exams, i never do well, and when i feel sad about what i wrote i weirdly do well, so...

I answered about Jessica and Shylock. I learned a ton of quotes for every character, but i mainly focused on revenge and justice, so im dissapointed none of them were major themes of the questions. Still, I didn't want to talk about Bassanio and i had quite a bit to say about Jessica and Shylock's attitude so i did that. It went well again, im happy, but it made me realise how badly i did in the paper 1 on monday! Hopefully the papers will average out to an ok score
I did the extract one, I really wanted to talk about Shylock but I didn't learn quotes specifically for his relationship with Jessica and could only think of the moment at his house where he tells her to lock the doors etc.

Do you know what grade boundaries could be? And yeah, I really thought they would ask about Shylock being a victim or Antonio and Shylock's relationship.

The love and relationships compare was horrible!! And the poem they chose was so unexpected as well,
frostfly
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by StressyGirl 101)
How did the exam go and what were you guys told? I heard that they might have to discredit that question so if you did better in R+J than the poems you're screwed.
Wait what? What happened?
StressyGirl 101
Rep:
?
(Original post by honour)
Wait what? What happened?
Basically instead of saying how does Tybalt's hatred for the Montagues lead to events in the play, they said how does Tybalt's hate for the Capulets lead to events in the play, which makes no sense as Tybalt is a capulet.
NeedHelpHelpNeed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dx31)
I did the extract one, I really wanted to talk about Shylock but I didn't learn quotes specifically for his relationship with Jessica and could only think of the moment at his house where he tells her to lock the doors etc.

Do you know what grade boundaries could be? And yeah, I really thought they would ask about Shylock being a victim or Antonio and Shylock's relationship.

The love and relationships compare was horrible!! And the poem they chose was so unexpected as well,
I don't know what they could be, i don't think anyone does. I've dreamt of a 9 but that's wishful thinking.

With all this raucous with OCR and people misreading AQA questions perhaps we will be blessed with low low low grade boundaries <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (326)
34.57%
No (617)
65.43%

Watched Threads