The Student Room Group

How do you stop thinking about how badly an exam went?

So today I took my English Literature Paper 2 exam and safe to say it was a complete disaster - my mind completely blanked and I couldn't remember any quotes in section B. I think this affected my performance in section C as my confidence was already worn down and I spent so long trying to think of something to write in section B that I didn't have much time left.

I really wanted a 7, but don't think I will be getting it. I can't revise for my other subjects because my mind just keeps wandering back to this paper, thinking how badly it went.
Original post by urgurlbecca
So today I took my English Literature Paper 2 exam and safe to say it was a complete disaster - my mind completely blanked and I couldn't remember any quotes in section B. I think this affected my performance in section C as my confidence was already worn down and I spent so long trying to think of something to write in section B that I didn't have much time left.

I really wanted a 7, but don't think I will be getting it. I can't revise for my other subjects because my mind just keeps wandering back to this paper, thinking how badly it went.

Take a few hour off, go for a walk, have a bath, do some meditation etc.

You have to put t to the back of your mind bceause its a waste of time. Time spent worrying gets ) extra marks and causes you to lose them because it takes away from revision time. Focus on other exams or undermine yourself. You cna always retake English.
you need to take a deep breath - because unfortunately there's nothing that you can do about it now. there is no point in worrying and panicking, and i know that feels like the most impossible thing right now, but just park it for now. you can worry about all that in a few weeks - or better yet, just don't worry about it at all.

the best thing you can do right now is be kind to yourself. forgive yourself. and know that you can always resit it if it's so awful - but for right now, take a break. you've worked hard and im really proud of you, but if you're tired and stressed and overworked then you won't do as well as you can on future exams.

put it all to the back of your mind - there will be time for that later. visualise yourself locking those feelings away, because it's not important right now.
grades aren't the only important thing in the world - or even one of the more important things in the world. just do your best, because at the end of the day, that's all you can do.

i wish you the best of luck darling - sending positive vibes to you xx
It works the opposite too, you thnk you've done OK and you flunk (I got a U for my Lit synoptic lmao :colonhash:) you'll never know til results day you may have made some points which got a lot of marks.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
It works the opposite too, you thnk you've done OK and you flunk (I got a U for my Lit synoptic lmao :colonhash:) you'll never know til results day you may have made some points which got a lot of marks.

Original post by togepixels
you need to take a deep breath - because unfortunately there's nothing that you can do about it now. there is no point in worrying and panicking, and i know that feels like the most impossible thing right now, but just park it for now. you can worry about all that in a few weeks - or better yet, just don't worry about it at all.

the best thing you can do right now is be kind to yourself. forgive yourself. and know that you can always resit it if it's so awful - but for right now, take a break. you've worked hard and im really proud of you, but if you're tired and stressed and overworked then you won't do as well as you can on future exams.

put it all to the back of your mind - there will be time for that later. visualise yourself locking those feelings away, because it's not important right now.
grades aren't the only important thing in the world - or even one of the more important things in the world. just do your best, because at the end of the day, that's all you can do.

i wish you the best of luck darling - sending positive vibes to you xx

Original post by 999tigger
Take a few hour off, go for a walk, have a bath, do some meditation etc.

You have to put t to the back of your mind bceause its a waste of time. Time spent worrying gets ) extra marks and causes you to lose them because it takes away from revision time. Focus on other exams or undermine yourself. You cna always retake English.

I'm crying at this thread I ended up getting a 9πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

so you must have really dramatised how 'badly' that exam went.

Congratulations on the 9!!! :smile:
Original post by user20167
Congratulations on the 9!!! :smile:

Thank you
Original post by meandegreen
so you must have really dramatised how 'badly' that exam went.

I always do thisπŸ˜‚
Thank you

I always do thisπŸ˜‚

Gratz, but I avoided people like you like the plague.

You will get yourself a reputation.
Reply 9

You sound like me after every single exam. No matter how it went I always feel like I'm destined for failure :tongue:

Congrats on the 9!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest