The Student Room Group

What do people think will be the grade boundaries for the new English Lit spec?

What do people think will be the grade boundaries, considering it is a new specification, and the fact that all foundation people will have done it too? And taking into account the fact that common mistakes may have been made (like confusing MR birling with MRS birling, for those doing An Inspector Calls)? Any thoughts?

My guess would be around:

145+ - Grade 9 (this is 3% of the country, only dropping 15 marks)
120 -144 - Grade 8
92 - 119 - Grade 7
80 - 91 - Grade 6
62 - 79 - Grade 5
50 - 61 - Grade 4

Quite clearly, these boundaries are much kinder than most schools have provided, but to be honest, nobody really knows other than comparing themselves to how other schools are doing - so I would hope that this sort of boundary would be much more likely.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by School_ftw
What do people think will be the grade boundaries, considering it is a new specification, and the fact that all foundation people will have done it too? And taking into account the fact that common mistakes may have been made (like confusing MR birling with MRS birling, for those doing An Inspector Calls)? Any thoughts?

My guess would be around:

145+ - Grade 9 (this is 3% of the country, only dropping 15 marks)
115 -144 - Grade 8
92 - 114 - Grade 7
80 - 91 - Grade 6
62 - 79 - Grade 5
50 - 61 - Grade 4

Quite clearly, these boundaries are much kinder than most schools have provided, but to be honest, nobody really knows other than comparing themselves to how other schools are doing - so I would hope that this sort of boundary would be much more likely.

For a 7, I would think it would be 40+70=110 minimum.
For a 9, I would say around 140.
Oh I do hope the grade boundaries are as low as this but that is unlikely:frown:
Reply 3
I hope they're even more lower

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by urgurlbecca
Oh I do hope the grade boundaries are as low as this but that is unlikely:frown:

You never know, considering you only needed around 70% for an A* in the old spec (and they are said to be roughly the same). But yeah these ones I said are quite kind, so may be a little low.
I think the lower grades will have higher boundaries than that. I've heard that while 7, 8 and 9 are quite far apart, 4-6 will be closer together. After all, three grades (4, 5 and 6) span the same ability range as two (C and B) used to. Even the 7 boundary seems pretty low. My guess would be around 105-110 minimum for a 7 and 125 for an 8. From most predictions, it looks like I'll come out with an 8 which is fine by me (I took my predicted 9 with a pinch of salt...)

Quick Reply

Latest