The Student Room Group

Lord of the Flies human nature question

Hi
I'm sorry as I've already made this post on a couple of other threads, I'm just stressing after the exam and want to know if what i put was OK. Here are the points I made:
If anyone did Lord of the Flies 'human nature' question, do you mind telling me if the points I made are suitable?
-'long scar' made by the plane - evil effect of mankind on nature. This is eventually covered with undergrowth and bushes - nature overpowers all other feelings.
-Hunters paint their faces and kill pigs - presents them as primitive and suggests they feel liberated from civilised feelings when concealed under paint - Jack 'hid' under the mask.
-Language deterioration - 'Sam and Eric' to 'Samneric', 'little ones' to littluns'. Also talked about the blunt, short, primitive sentences 'I'm chief. I'll go. Don't argue.
-Roger throws stones at Henry, but throws to miss. 'Here, invisible yet strong, was the taboo of the old life'. Trying to get as close as possible to breaking societal boundaries, yet still connected enough to civilisation to contain his evil, sadistic impulses. Further reinforced by Maurice - still felt 'unease of wrong-doing' when he kicks littluns sandcastles over. Humans evil, and only society's rules prevents it from surfacing.
Talked about beast - evil is inside humans - society can only mitigate evil but not eradicate it.
-Narrative perspective fits the mob - describe Simon as the beast when they kill him as they are so consumed in their own savagery.
-Conch - democratic order. Have meetings, etc. Symbolises values of previous existence.
-Dead parachutist - island a microcosm of outside world and what adults are doing is no better than boys. Talked a bit about context with Golding having fought in the Second World War - had a pessimistic outlook on human nature.
-By the end boys have lost all ties to civilisation and succumbed to their savage instincts - however, some remnants - Samneric protest out of 'the heart of civilisation' with the English exclamation 'Oh, I say!'
Clothing as a symbol - represents shame and so as clothing becomes more scant, suggests they are losing the shame for what they're doing and that social constraints disappearing.

Probably should've written about the chants as well, ran out of time and missed some points out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending