The Student Room Group

Terrified about my AS maths grade

I want to apply to medicine but I have this fear that this year my AS maths result is not going to be up to the standards that it should be. I have been off quite a lot because of illness and I wanted to take the exams this year. I'm not sure what to do if the grade comes back as, well, below a B. Has anyone else been in a similar position and what did you do/ advice???? Thank you so much
what grade r u In ? and where do u want to study medicine ?
Original post by sophier7200
I want to apply to medicine but I have this fear that this year my AS maths result is not going to be up to the standards that it should be. I have been off quite a lot because of illness and I wanted to take the exams this year. I'm not sure what to do if the grade comes back as, well, below a B. Has anyone else been in a similar position and what did you do/ advice???? Thank you so much

As long as your predicted grades are what they ask for then it does not matter. Literally if you are predicted A*AA then they will move your application onto the next step. I got into vet med and i got an E in 1 of my biology exams but still got predicted an A* and i was fine. 3 of the people who applied to medicine in my year got like ABC or BBB, only 1 got AAAA. The person who got AAAA got 4 rejections and only got in on second application. The first 2 got offered to 1 but then did not meet the requirements. Just get good personal statement and good predicted. Having a good AS grade is a bonus but not mandatory

Just resit C1 and C2 next year whilst doing your C3 and C4 because im doing that aswell most likely
Reply 4
retake and if you cant, make up for it next year
Reply 5
Original post by mohammedbydoon
what grade r u In ? and where do u want to study medicine ?

I'm in year 12, in the process of doing the 3 maths exams and I want to go to Manchester
Reply 6
Original post by Konanabanana
As long as your predicted grades are what they ask for then it does not matter. Literally if you are predicted A*AA then they will move your application onto the next step. I got into vet med and i got an E in 1 of my biology exams but still got predicted an A* and i was fine. 3 of the people who applied to medicine in my year got like ABC or BBB, only 1 got AAAA. The person who got AAAA got 4 rejections and only got in on second application. The first 2 got offered to 1 but then did not meet the requirements. Just get good personal statement and good predicted. Having a good AS grade is a bonus but not mandatory

So the AS grade isn't as important as the overall A level? It's been stressing me out since the first exam I did
Reply 7
Original post by TheYearNiner
Just resit C1 and C2 next year whilst doing your C3 and C4 because im doing that aswell most likely

I'm a bit worried to retake because I heard it doesn't look that good when you're applying
Reply 8
Original post by storm95
retake and if you cant, make up for it next year

I think that a retake looks bad when applying to medicine, but it may be my only option..
Reply 9
I think that a retake looks bad when applying to medicine, but it may be my only option..

hmm i think it depends where you apply? im not quite sure but still give it a go
So the AS grade isn't as important as the overall A level? It's been stressing me out since the first exam I did

Of course not. most people retake as grades even if they get A's. I retook my biology unit 1 and i got an A in it. I also retook my biology unit 2 which i got an E. They do not even care as long as you meet the required grades within 1 retake. + it's only 1 maths exam by the time you have done A2 maths you will find it much easier, be less stressed during that retake, thus you will most likely do very well in it. Trust me don't stress i got pretty shocking grades for what i would say my standards are but i did well in retakes and A2.

Your not applying for Cambridge. If your applying for medicine and your retaking. Just go for Bristol, Exeter, Southampton and Queen Mary. As long as you get into medicine it really does not matter what uni you have this is because of the demand for them. Those stated above are most likely the better choices. It's not guaranteed but i'd be confident your chances are higher applying to those and not UCL, Imperial. <---- they don't like retakes
(edited 6 years ago)
Of course not. most people retake as grades even if they get A's. I retook my biology unit 1 and i got an A in it. I also retook my biology unit 2 which i got an E. They do not even care as long as you meet the required grades within 1 retake. + it's only 1 maths exam by the time you have done A2 maths you will find it much easier, be less stressed during that retake, thus you will most likely do very well in it. Trust me don't stress i got pretty shocking grades for what i would say my standards are but i did well in retakes and A2.

Your not applying for Cambridge. If your applying for medicine and your retaking. Just go for Bristol, Exeter, Southampton and Queen Mary. As long as you get into medicine it really does not matter what uni you have this is because of the demand for them. Those stated above are most likely the better choices. It's not guaranteed but i'd be confident your chances are higher applying to those and not UCL, Imperial. <---- they don't like retakes

I'm looking to go to Manchester as my first choice, I'm not sure about their view on retakes. Thank you so much for your help, that has definitely put my mind at rest
I'm looking to go to Manchester as my first choice, I'm not sure about their view on retakes. Thank you so much for your help, that has definitely put my mind at rest

When you apply for Medicine use up all 4 spots, you can only make the decision of where you want to go. If you only have your mind set on Manchester all it does it show me your not passionate enough to want to do medicine regardless of the location. Just apply to 4 unis if you get an offer from Manchester then you decide that's where you want to go. for now just try get an offer. :smile:.

You also need a lot of various experience that is official and clinical. Having some in like a care home is also a nice change, they also have to be within the past like 18 months or 2 years or something.
When you apply for Medicine use up all 4 spots, you can only make the decision of where you want to go. If you only have your mind set on Manchester all it does it show me your not passionate enough to want to do medicine regardless of the location. Just apply to 4 unis if you get an offer from Manchester then you decide that's where you want to go. for now just try get an offer. :smile:.

You also need a lot of various experience that is official and clinical. Having some in like a care home is also a nice change, they also have to be within the past like 18 months or 2 years or something.

I do have 4 choices of Med schools that I want to go to, Manchester is just my top choice. I have got a lot of different work experiences and I've been volunteering at a care home too.
I do have 4 choices of Med schools that I want to go to, Manchester is just my top choice. I have got a lot of different work experiences and I've been volunteering at a care home too.

You should be good. I recommend you doing some research into NHS and like how it has changed when it started. And try to prepare for your ukkat you'll need 700 to be confident you'll get an interview. Any lower than 650 it not too good. Just practise and just hope they give you the interview xD. Good luck if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest