The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE postgrad intake statistics: small clarification

Hi all, every postgrad course profile on the LSE website shows the applicants/intake ratio. My question (probably a stupid one, but as a non-native English speaker I've had this doubt for a while): by "intake" they mean the number of people who actually enrolled, not the number of offers they gave, right?

If the course I'm interested in has an applicants/intake ratio of 300/50, that does not mean that I have a one-in-six chance of receiving an offer; rather, a one-in-six of receiving an offer, getting the grade they want and actually enrolling. Right? Based on the stats Cambridge provides generally the offer/intake ratio is around 2:1, so that'd almost double my hope of getting into the course I'm interest in. Thanks in advance!
Original post by off-hugh-oh
Hi all, every postgrad course profile on the LSE website shows the applicants/intake ratio. My question (probably a stupid one, but as a non-native English speaker I've had this doubt for a while): by "intake" they mean the number of people who actually enrolled, not the number of offers they gave, right?

If the course I'm interested in has an applicants/intake ratio of 300/50, that does not mean that I have a one-in-six chance of receiving an offer; rather, a one-in-six of receiving an offer, getting the grade they want and actually enrolling. Right? Based on the stats Cambridge provides generally the offer/intake ratio is around 2:1, so that'd almost double my hope of getting into the course I'm interest in. Thanks in advance!

You are correct. It's amazing the amount of people studying at LSE that don't know this, and therefore think they are much more special for being admitted than they actually are :rolleyes:

If you actually want to know the offer rate, you can submit a Freedom of Information request to LSE. For example, here's one submitted about the LLM, which shows that although only 14% of applicants enrolled, 39% of applicants were made offers.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/llm_admissions_11#incoming-905926
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending