The Student Room Group

Urgent art a level advice

so ive selected art as one of my a level choices along with maths, physics and english. my questions are

1. how much workload is there (i will be doing edexcel) and does it take away from your other subject??
2. how hard is it to get an A?
3. if you had the choice to go back, would you not take art a level?
4. did u hate art by the end of the two years because of how much work it was??

i want to take art but im unsure. i feel like with the amount of work i put in i wont get as big of a result. i also dont want to take art, which is something i love, and turn it into something i absolutely hate because of the stress. however i really love art and im attracted to the a level course but grades also matter. i also have to study for my SATS during my a levels and i need to be able to have time. if i didnt take art i would take economics.

PLEASE HELP IM IN SUCH A DILEMMA AND I NEED ADVICE !!
I've just finished GCSE art, as far as I've heard the two are pretty much the same. My first question is, did you take Art at GCSE? If you didn't then I would tell you to prepare to be doing art at least 3 nights a week. Art is very time consuming but as you practice more and get better, you also get faster. Furthermore, if you enjoy art and produce work that you actually want to do, then it'll be easy for you. Watch loads of Art GCSE/A-level youtube videos on A*/A sketchbooks. If you follow their advice you should find it easy. I personally stopped enjoying Art near the end because everyone in that class were with their original group of friends, throughout the year our teacher would tell us our art looked horrible or that we need to throw it away because it made him feel sick, he also favoured abstract work and forced us to not go by our own style so I hated the work I was producing. Hopefully I'll come out with a B because of how bias he is but I would say don't let others demotivate you to do your best.
Original post by saroshn
so ive selected art as one of my a level choices along with maths, physics and english. my questions are

1. how much workload is there (i will be doing edexcel) and does it take away from your other subject??
2. how hard is it to get an A?
3. if you had the choice to go back, would you not take art a level?
4. did u hate art by the end of the two years because of how much work it was??

i want to take art but im unsure. i feel like with the amount of work i put in i wont get as big of a result. i also dont want to take art, which is something i love, and turn it into something i absolutely hate because of the stress. however i really love art and im attracted to the a level course but grades also matter. i also have to study for my SATS during my a levels and i need to be able to have time. if i didnt take art i would take economics.

PLEASE HELP IM IN SUCH A DILEMMA AND I NEED ADVICE !!

When I first joined AS those were my EXACT subjects, but i switched from physics to history.

1. it just depends on how much you let it take over the other subjects, its quite easy (in my case) to neglect art and then the day before marking day i'd usually do as many pages as I could
2. It's subjective and in my case it was really down to my teacher's personal preference, i mean it isn't hard but like every subject you have to be filling the criteria. I did WJEC btw and I've just finished my art a level (im on study leave)
3.I would 100% continue to take art, it's a very calming subject where like i said before it's very subjective unlike the subjects you've chosen (with somewhat exception of english) there's only real one right answer
4. i didn't hate art, although at some point i noticed that i was spending a bit too much time on art and i hated that, but it was a subject i enjoyed a LOT and i couldn't say the same for subjects like maths or physics
Reply 3
Original post by CinnamonSmol
I've just finished GCSE art, as far as I've heard the two are pretty much the same. My first question is, did you take Art at GCSE? If you didn't then I would tell you to prepare to be doing art at least 3 nights a week. Art is very time consuming but as you practice more and get better, you also get faster. Furthermore, if you enjoy art and produce work that you actually want to do, then it'll be easy for you. Watch loads of Art GCSE/A-level youtube videos on A*/A sketchbooks. If you follow their advice you should find it easy. I personally stopped enjoying Art near the end because everyone in that class were with their original group of friends, throughout the year our teacher would tell us our art looked horrible or that we need to throw it away because it made him feel sick, he also favoured abstract work and forced us to not go by our own style so I hated the work I was producing. Hopefully I'll come out with a B because of how bias he is but I would say don't let others demotivate you to do your best.

well i didnt take art at gcse which is why im rethinking it :/ and yeah i guess it is true that it depends a lot on the teacher but i think the teacher i have is really nice and helpful so maybe i wont have that problem?? thanks for the advice!!
Reply 4
Original post by maccaism
When I first joined AS those were my EXACT subjects, but i switched from physics to history.

1. it just depends on how much you let it take over the other subjects, its quite easy (in my case) to neglect art and then the day before marking day i'd usually do as many pages as I could
2. It's subjective and in my case it was really down to my teacher's personal preference, i mean it isn't hard but like every subject you have to be filling the criteria. I did WJEC btw and I've just finished my art a level (im on study leave)
3.I would 100% continue to take art, it's a very calming subject where like i said before it's very subjective unlike the subjects you've chosen (with somewhat exception of english) there's only real one right answer
4. i didn't hate art, although at some point i noticed that i was spending a bit too much time on art and i hated that, but it was a subject i enjoyed a LOT and i couldn't say the same for subjects like maths or physics

yeah i guess i would favour art over my other subjects too. also if you dont mind me asking, how was english a level? believe it or not, im rethinking THAT too! was there a lot of workload? also with art on average how much time did you spend on it at home? sigh im so confused on whether or not to take it because my family do support me but i can tell they think that i REALLY shouldnt take it because i want an A and i would have to spend so much time to do that. also i didnt take it at gcse so do you think that would affect me? thank you so much for your advice tho and im sorry if i just bombarded you with so many questions!
English A level is going okay so far (my board is AQA) i mean the key thing to getting a decent grade is your writing style. if you can't write the examiner just won't bother looking for ur arguments or giving u a good mark because they're immediately thrown off. I study 5 books and 1 poem so it's not that bad if im honest, and since i've done my art a level there's only 2 subjects to revise for really.

I'd spend one day a week just catching up on the work, so i'd spend all of after school just doing art work but the rest of the week i'd revise for my other subjects.

Don't listen to what other people say, if i did, I wouldn't have taken art and I wouldn't have another subject that I enjoyed so much.

I don't think it matters to much you didnt do gcse art because I've improved so much since GCSE and none of the tactics I've used then actually benefited me in A Levels

So moral of the story if you're actually passionate about art, why not take it?

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
I take maths and English at AS and I did GCSE art. As has been previously mentioned, take a look on YouTube at A* GCSE art work. At my school everyone who got an A* in GCSE is getting an A at AS, everyone who got an A has been getting a B etc, so judge if your work is A* standard off the videos. If its not, and you really want an A, then I wouldn't recommend art. All my best friends do art and they say that the workload isn't too bad as they use their study periods to do it. It's also nice to have a subject without written exams.
Reply 7
Original post by maccaism
English A level is going okay so far (my board is AQA) i mean the key thing to getting a decent grade is your writing style. if you can't write the examiner just won't bother looking for ur arguments or giving u a good mark because they're immediately thrown off. I study 5 books and 1 poem so it's not that bad if im honest, and since i've done my art a level there's only 2 subjects to revise for really.

I'd spend one day a week just catching up on the work, so i'd spend all of after school just doing art work but the rest of the week i'd revise for my other subjects.

Don't listen to what other people say, if i did, I wouldn't have taken art and I wouldn't have another subject that I enjoyed so much.

I don't think it matters to much you didnt do gcse art because I've improved so much since GCSE and none of the tactics I've used then actually benefited me in A Levels

So moral of the story if you're actually passionate about art, why not take it?

I hope this helps :smile:

yes it did it was very helpful!! thanks you so much i have a little more clarity on the situation now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest