The Student Room Group

help with a level options please!

I’m really struggling choosing between economics, history, maths, physics, politics.
all of them sound interesting but I am only allowed to pick 3 which I’ve got to do for 2 years and I can't seem to find a combination that works.

I like the theory element of physics and if I pick it I have to take maths, which as it is I’m not amazing at, and I’m doubting if I really will be able to cope with how hard the course will be. However, these are facilitating subjects and even if I want to do economics at university I can by just taking maths or law which has no requirements.

I really enjoy the humanities also and I’m doing reasonably well but career wise I can’t see any good/well-paying jobs and I limit myself if I take these, I won’t be able to do economics or physics if later I change my mind.
Honesty I lose and gain interest in things so quickly I’m worried I’ll take one of the harder subjects and lose interest mid-way. Also in my history a level there’s a topic I’m not too interested in and its worth 30% but is that really an excuse not to take an entire subject or can I just tough it out?

I’ve researched every subject in depth and I know I need to wait for my GCSE results but I’m wasting the whole summer where I could be bringing myself up to speed with maths.

Someone please give me a new perspective at looking at this before I go mad
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Politics is long and it's not even that good of a subject. Even if you like politics, I wouldn't recommend it.
Pick History Physics Economics,
Or History Maths Economics.

Why do you have to pick physics with math?
Reply 2
Original post by BobBobson
Politics is long and it's not even that good of a subject. Even if you like politics, I wouldn't recommend it.
Pick History Physics Economics,
Or History Maths Economics.

Why do you have to pick physics with math?

I've heard it makes it easier and that's what everyone does also if you want to do physics at degree level you need a level maths
Reply 3
Original post by Mr...
I think you should take History, Physics, Maths and economics to start with the see which one you'd like to drop.
If you like politics. ore then swap it out for a one of the other subjects.

You don't need economics to do enomoncia at a lot of universities, but you may need maths

Unfortunately I can't pick more than 3 but I can swap and drop subjects, so I could do that
Original post by hannahbannana00
I’m really struggling choosing between economics, history, maths, physics, politics.
all of them sound interesting but I am only allowed to pick 3 which I’ve got to do for 2 years and I can't seem to find a combination that works.

I like the theory element of physics and if I pick it I have to take maths, which as it is I’m not amazing at, and I’m doubting if I really will be able to cope with how hard the course will be. However, these are facilitating subjects and even if I want to do economics at university I can by just taking maths or law which has no requirements.

I really enjoy the humanities also and I’m doing reasonably well but career wise I can’t see any good/well-paying jobs and I limit myself if I take these, I won’t be able to do economics or physics if later I change my mind.
Honesty I lose and gain interest in things so quickly I’m worried I’ll take one of the harder subjects and lose interest mid-way. Also in my history a level there’s a topic I’m not too interested in and its worth 30% but is that really an excuse not to take an entire subject or can I just tough it out?

I’ve researched every subject in depth and I know I need to wait for my GCSE results but I’m wasting the whole summer where I could be bringing myself up to speed with maths.

Someone please give me a new perspective at looking at this before I go mad

economics, history, maths, physics, politics.

Politics is terrible a-level
Do Eco, maths, history
Or chose Eco, physics, maths ( if get good at rearranging and mechanics over summer)
Reply 5
Original post by Konanabanana
economics, history, maths, physics, politics.

Politics is terrible a-level
Do Eco, maths, history
Or chose Eco, physics, maths ( if get good at rearranging and mechanics over summer)

Woah this is the first time I've heard people say politics is a bad choice, I've only heard good

Is it literally a bad subject or just not an acedemic one?
Woah this is the first time I've heard people say politics is a bad choice, I've only heard good

It is mainly because it's not a faciliating subject and partly because it's not considered that vigorous.

Subjects like politics and Law are just not very good at A-Level, you't need them as requirements for universities for a reason. If anything they'd prefer you don't have them lol.
If you like humanities and sciences, economics has a really nice mixture of analytical and social elements, so I think you'll like it. Being numerate is very important for econ. degrees, so I'd go with maths, physics and economics; you'll still get to write essays in economics and won't miss out on that aspect of humanities.

Politics is a badly regarded and oversimplified A-Level, and history is something you can easily study outside of school since it's not cumulative like maths or physics.
Reply 9
Subjects like politics and Law are just not very good at A-Level, you't need them as requirements for universities for a reason. If anything they'd prefer you don't have them lol.

thinking about it now, subconsciously, I probably picked them out of laziness and not wanting to suffer too much next year
thinking about it now, subconsciously, I probably picked them out of laziness and not wanting to suffer too much next year

Pick what you will do best in as as get you into what you want.
No point saying i had fun during a-levels but have nothing to show.

You cant study physics without maths at uni. You can't do eco without maths at most places. This makes it clear you need maths. Physics is made slightly easier with maths it also makes your application to physics allowed. Study economics as it is a respected written subject as well as being useful whe applying to eco at uni. If you changed your mind and you wanted ot study history eco is a good subject to prove you have writing skills. The combination as follows is what is best. Physics, Eco, Maths. If you find physics to get a good mark which you most likely will, get a tutor or start revision early.
Original post by Sonechka
If you like humanities and sciences, economics has a really nice mixture of analytical and social elements, so I think you'll like it. Being numerate is very important for econ. degrees, so I'd go with maths, physics and economics; you'll still get to write essays in economics and won't miss out on that aspect of humanities.

Politics is a badly regarded and oversimplified A-Level, and history is something you can easily study outside of school since it's not cumulative like maths or physics.

Thanks I think it's going to be maths, physics and/or economics/history

Which one out of economics/history would you suggest trying out first before dropping?
If I choose to do Geography, Maths and Chemistry can I study medicine
Original post by Abidbanter
If I choose to do Geography, Maths and Chemistry can I study medicine

No you need Chemistry and Biology and preferred 1 other science subject e.g physics or maths.
Pick what you will do best in as as get you into what you want.
No point saying i had fun during a-levels but have nothing to show.

You cant study physics without maths at uni. You can't do eco without maths at most places. This makes it clear you need maths. Physics is made slightly easier with maths it also makes your application to physics allowed. Study economics as it is a respected written subject as well as being useful whe applying to eco at uni. If you changed your mind and you wanted ot study history eco is a good subject to prove you have writing skills. The combination as follows is what is best. Physics, Eco, Maths. If you find physics to get a good mark which you most likely will, get a tutor or start revision early.

Thank you very much :smile:
Thanks I think it's going to be maths, physics and/or economics/history

Which one out of economics/history would you suggest trying out first before dropping?

Definitely economics; you can apply to uni for econ. without the A-Level, but it gives you a nice insight into the subject to do the A-Level, and unlike politics, psychology and some others the A-Level isn't oversimplified (perhaps it is mathematically, but the theories don't get diluted like political theory does). History is definitely something you can teach yourself - I spent most of my secondary school career thinking I was going to do A-Level history but since history isn't quantitative, I think it's more liberating to be able to dabble freely in whatever bits of history interest you.
No you need Chemistry and Biology and preferred 1 other science subject e.g physics or maths.

damn, I really hope the sixth form I wanted lets me get away with an AC at dual Biology to do Biology, if not then there's other places that allow it but still I'm sad cuz I met a peng gyal at an intake thing.
I'm in the same situation - although I know I'd really like to take Maths and Physics, I have no idea if I'm good enough for them. I'm only predicted a level 7 (A) in maths.
I've heard it makes it easier and that's what everyone does also if you want to do physics at degree level you need a level maths

Do you want to do a physics degree. And it will only make it slightly easier, not a big enough to base your options over.
Original post by BobBobson
Do you want to do a physics degree. And it will only make it slightly easier, not a big enough to base your options over.

I have no idea and I guess people are saying it will help with economics as well

Quick Reply

Latest