Which college is the right one for me? Help please :) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Squishy)
Yeah, there are quite a lot of Clare-ites on this board, so they'll probably say I'm wrong, but I heard that it had a reputation a bit like King's. I think Clare was one of the first all-male colleges to go coed, alongside Churchill and King's.
Nope, you're right imo, Clare isn't as extreme as Kings (we have gown and formal hall 4 times a week but don't have sickels painted onto the walls of the 'red bar'). We're pretty liberal and lefty, I know a few people who aren't and a fair few who are apathetic but plenty who are fairly vocal.
We tend to have a pretty high state-independent ratio and an equitable male-female ratio.

And yes we did go mixed in 1972 along with Kings and Churchill.

Alaric.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Squishy)
Yeah, there are quite a lot of Clare-ites on this board, so they'll probably say I'm wrong, but I heard that it had a reputation a bit like King's. I think Clare was one of the first all-male colleges to go coed, alongside Churchill and King's.
Yeah, we were. I don't notice much student politics though

And Acaila - don't worry; not everyone can see the attraction. I'm just glad I do
slashkash
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
When you say that Clare has a reputation of being a bit like Kings what do you mean exactly? That it's way too 'formal' or way too political?

By the way some of the things mentioned in the alt. prospectus clash with those written in the Times Good University Guide. Which should I trust?

It truly does seem that everyone is happy with the college they pick, no matter which one it is. Should I just go for Trinity(since it's the biggest and one of the most popular ones) and leave it at that?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by slashkash)
When you say that Clare has a reputation of being a bit like Kings what do you mean exactly? That it's way too 'formal' or way too political?

By the way some of the things mentioned in the alt. prospectus clash with those written in the Times Good University Guide. Which should I trust?
No, King's is renowned for being very informal. I don't know how Clare is like King's apart from that they're next door and both have cool bars.

What things clash, maybe we can clear them up. The alternative prospectus is now 3/4 years old, remember.
slashkash
Well, for example the Times Guide says that Queen's isn't very sporty, but on the alternative prospectus it says that "in three years, Queens' have been winners, finalists, and semi-finalists in hockey, football and rugby respectively". One of the reasons I didn't consider Queen's in the first place was because I thought it wasn't very good at sports (and man do I hate to lose! :P)

By the way I know this is going to sound lame, but does any of the colleges have this 'Harry Potter' feel to it, if you know what I mean?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, for example the Times Guide says that Queen's isn't very sporty, but on the alternative prospectus it says that "in three years, Queens' have been winners, finalists, and semi-finalists in hockey, football and rugby respectively". One of the reasons I didn't consider Queen's in the first place was because I thought it wasn't very good at sports (and man do I hate to lose! :P)

By the way I know this is going to sound lame, but does any of the colleges have this 'Harry Potter' feel to it, if you know what I mean?
Well, if you're after sports info, I'd check out the college websites, as the alternative prospectus is a bit out of date now.

As for Harry Potter, any of the colleges on the backs have bits like that, but bear in mind that they also have lots of less pretty accommodation - e.g. John's has the fairy castle, but also has Cripps court; Trinity is stunning but then has Burrell's field out the back of the UL etc. There's also Emma, Christ's (but beware New Court!) and Downing if you're looking for aesthetics.
slashkash
New shortlist:

Clare, Trinity or Emmanuel?

What I'm looking for:

Good accomodation
Good sports teams
Good at English
Not very demanding academically (I'd like to have some spare time, please)
Nice gardens, buildings (mixture of modern and classical) & look in general
Central location
Good computer facilities

Which one of the three meets the above best?
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nice gardens
That'll be Clare then! Even the punt tour people (scudamores) think that they're the most beautiful in Cambridge. They're certainly very nice at this time of year, a lovely place to sit whilst I'm not at work .

And being like Kings means that we're a pretty left-wing liberal college and not full of posh tory people. Or something.
We are like them, but less so.

Alaric.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
New shortlist:

What I'm looking for:

Good accomodation
Good sports teams
Good at English
Central location
Good computer facilities

They all pretty much fit your criteria except 'not very demanding academically' - you have to sqeeze whatever spare time you want out of Cambridge no matter what your college! Don't worry, it's easily done. One point worth making is that Clare makes a point of pooling as many initially unsuccessful applicants as it can. So if you are not too concerned about being pooled it is a good choice because, whilst competition for places at Clare is usually exremely fierce, it gives an increased chance of gaining a place at one of the other colleges through the pool.
KHL
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
New shortlist:

What I'm looking for:

Good accomodation
Good sports teams
Good at English
Central location
Good computer facilities

i don't know about English, but otherwise sounds like she's subconsciously thinking about John's...
slashkash
I was just told by a person who attended Fitzwilliam that if he got the chance to apply somewhere else, that would be Emmanuel. He also said I'd like that one best, but it's going to be a bit rough to get into as it's the most popular one, thus it gets many applications
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Go for it - popularity is unimportant. If you are of a good enough standard you will be pooled even if there aren't enough spaces; if you aren't good enough you wouldn't get in anyway! Nicky's philosophy of applying to Cambridge (much-repeated so sorry if you've heard it before!)

Have you got a chance to go down to Cambridge and have a look at the colleges? There should be some open days in September - even if the open days are booked up you can go in the afternoon and some students should be around to give you a tour. But if you haven't got chance and Emmanuel sounds best to you - go for it
Willla2
Report 14 years ago
yes apply to emmanuel....it rocks!

They say all emma open days are over, but just pop down there anyways and go in and just stop some friendly student and ask them some questions, that's what i did. Everyone was really friendly, so I had no doubts in my mind about applying to emma in the end!

But you shouldnt just take your friends opinion....college choice is a personal thing. My mate is off to churchill this year, and he said emma was far too annoying for his liking. I dispute this accusation, but it goes to show that college reaction can be very personal. I wouldnt wanna live in churchill, for example!

Go visit...it's almost a MUST!

And look, I got into Emma, and I'm a lazy bugger, so it can't be all that hard!
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would agree with whoever said she was subconsciously thinking of Johns. It definitely had the Harry Potter feel for me. And they're very good at sport aren't they? And not as academically demanding? Must be reasonably good academically, but not workaholics by the sounds of it.
Willla2
Report 14 years ago
i hope the emma workoholics will spure me on to better things...i'm soo lazy
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm applying for a nice relaxed college. :cool:
ASNaC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
I would agree with whoever said she was subconsciously thinking of Johns. It definitely had the Harry Potter feel for me. And they're very good at sport aren't they? And not as academically demanding? Must be reasonably good academically, but not workaholics by the sounds of it.
Make that three who agree. John's is almost certainly the best sporting college (though Jesus and Fitz are also very good). It can compete with Christ's, Emma, Trinity, or anywhere else in terms of old buildings and Harry Potter feel. On top of all this there is less (given colleges reputations, and the most recent league tables) academic pressure.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ASNaC)
Make that three who agree. John's is almost certainly the best sporting college (though Jesus and Fitz are also very good). It can compete with Christ's, Emma, Trinity, or anywhere else in terms of old buildings and Harry Potter feel. On top of all this there is less (or given colleges reputations, and the most recent league tables) academic pressure.
Yeah, Clare isn't what you're after if you want good sports teams. Aren't Catz meant to be good at sports as well?

Much though it repels me to suggest anyone should go to John's it sounds like it fits your criteria, so take another look at it.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Much though it repels me to suggest anyone should go to John's it sounds like it fits your criteria, so take another look at it.
My thoughts exactly
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willla2)
i hope the emma workoholics will spure me on to better things...i'm soo lazy
Ahh yes, here's hoping. I don't think my college has that many workaholics, so I'm really going to have to motivate myself. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Acaila)
I'm applying for a nice relaxed college. :cool:
You bet. Although on the morning of my interview, I woke up and saw this guy standing on a balcony below me having a cigarette to calm his nerves. *sigh*

I can't get the "I'd rather be at Oxford than John's" song out of my head. It fits so perfectly with "She'll be comin' round the mountains". Nothing against Johnians of course.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (246)
27.24%
No (657)
72.76%

Watched Threads