The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi,
I'm doing maths, further maths and chemistry for A level next year, but i can't pick a fourth. I don't want to do physics as i want to do an essay subject, but I find that learning all the facts for history is too tedious. Any advice?
Well what do you want to study at university?
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
Well what do you want to study at university?

Something definitely to do with maths, although probably not just maths by itself
Original post by zwtdel
Hi,
I'm doing maths, further maths and chemistry for A level next year, but i can't pick a fourth. I don't want to do physics as i want to do an essay subject, but I find that learning all the facts for history is too tedious. Any advice?

Do eco
Do you really want an essay subject? This year I did maths, physics, chemistry and english and english was really hard for me to keep up with and do all the essays and reading required. I really enjoyed the class discussions but yeah gonna drop it after study leave for as-level is done. Is your sixth form doing as levels? If my school wasn't then there's no way I would have taken english because I might have been forced to finish it or get nothing out of it. I'm taking up both years of further next year anyway so I had to drop something. I do kinda wish I had taken biology or geography this year as I'm much more comfortable with exams.
Original post by zwtdel
Hi,

If you want to do an essay based subject which requires maths, Economics might be a good choice. If you want to have an A Level that doesn't concentrate on maths/science, something like Government and Politics might be good, or English Lit. Unfortunately there are always facts you need to learn for essay subjects, but hopefully if you choose an essay subject which you find really interesting the facts won't be too tedious.
Reply 6
I mean but if you dont want to go into something essay based, why dont you save yourself the trouble and only do 3 subjects. English is really hard especially if you dont enjoy it. Psychology and things like that require you to remember less than history but if thats not what you wanna go into it would really be pointless. I can only really think of economics
If your school is offering them, maybe you should do an enrichment course which is essay based?
Original post by zwtdel
Something definitely to do with maths, although probably not just maths by itself

For anything to do with maths I don't see why you wouldn't take physics, chemistry seems irrelevant and without physics or biology you probably wouldn't get onto a chemistry course. This is from Cambridge for maths but it makes sense for other good places: 'applicants are normally expected to offer Maths, Further Maths and Physics'. https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

Chemistry seems very irrelevant for other degrees which involve maths like economics and computer science, and you wouldn't get onto an engineering course without physics.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zwtdel
Hi,

How about economics?

Quick Reply

Latest