The Student Room Group
Why don't we throw in prose as well, for the benefit of everyone
Reply 2
I think that your school may use different language than mine, but the trick to analyzing poetry (at least for me), is to let it have some sort of visceral impact of you before you go into analyzing it. If it were meant to be something cerebral, then it would have been written in prose. Poetry is more artistic, and therefore is meant to be felt somewhere a little deeper.

Here's my suggestion: read the poem a couple times, and try to identify how the whole thing makes you feel. Take that idea, perhaps brainstorm it a little, and then start your deep analysis. Look at how the words contribute to that feeling that you had, and then ask yourself why the poet wanted you to feel that. And bam! You have a thesis! "Poet uses (insert lit devices) in order to convey (insert feeling), ultimately commenting on (insert lofty and pretentious ideal of human nature, etc)."

The creative component of it is then finding a way not to express it analytically, but to convey the same feeling, and then put it into the context of what the author is trying to say or your own.

Make sense?

Latest

Trending

Trending