The Student Room Group

Please help me with my revision

Hello i'm currently in year 10 and i have my crucial end of year mocks in 2 weeks time and my revision has gone appallingly so far. I have an endless amount of topics I need to teach myself however i can't get any of the information to stick. Every time i go online i get the same generic types of "making a timetable" and "keep my room clean" i have all of that but sitting down and actually learning has become almost impossible task. If any of you were in my situation or have any tips of helping me break my appalling cycle please help. Also do you need to learn all the mini topics on a page of a textbook or can you just pick up the main topics. PLEASE HELP ME AND THANK YOU FOR READING
Original post by annonomus
Hello i'm currently in year 10 and i have my crucial end of year mocks in 2 weeks time and my revision has gone appallingly so far. I have an endless amount of topics I need to teach myself however i can't get any of the information to stick. Every time i go online i get the same generic types of "making a timetable" and "keep my room clean" i have all of that but sitting down and actually learning has become almost impossible task. If any of you were in my situation or have any tips of helping me break my appalling cycle please help. Also do you need to learn all the mini topics on a page of a textbook or can you just pick up the main topics. PLEASE HELP ME AND THANK YOU FOR READING

Hi, I'm an a level student so I'll try to help. If procrastination is your problem then try to think about your future goals and what grades you need as well as how you would feel on results day opening a disappointing set of results. Revision wise I use posted notes, flash cards and mind maps. But it really depends what subjects you are doing. I think the key is to break down information as much as you can. For example, if you make a revision guide of notes, highlight the key parts and make them into flash cards/mindmaps. Stick posted notes of key terms etc where you are most likely to see them. Also maybe try reading stuff out loud and recording yourself to listen to later like a podcast, or just walk around your room reading your notes (for some reason I find this helpful).
Original post by annonomus

If you find yourself procrastinating, hide your tech. Put your phone in a drawer or even give it to someone else to safeguard (of course lock it first). If it's in sight or in reach, you'll go for it.

You shouldn't be "teaching yourself". The teachers have done that - you just need to go over it. Do a past paper in each subject and see what you struggled on, then specifically revise those things. Reading is not a good method of revision unless you're actively thinking and debating the topic in your head (for stuff like science and geography I find this helps). Making something like mind-maps and cue-cards tend to work best.
First, get a workbook with loads of questions and start doing them, you will then be able to benchmark what your strengths and weaknesses are. If you don't have one, get your topic list for the mocks and find questions online for them.
Nonetheless, make notes and test yourself by making flash cards and trying to remember what the key points are.
I wish I was in year 10 right now 😭 Just Remember this in ur head 'I have to work HARD to get what I want' ..... these grades are not going to appear at grade 9 and A* without ur effort.... so DO IT and stop slacking off

Hope this helps LOL

Quick Reply

Latest