Muslims, do you go to the pub with your work colleagues? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I went to a pub with my work colleagues for lunch yesterday since it was pay day, dress down day and nice weather. We sat in a 'beer garden' with the sun blazing on us and it was a new experience being there. It was a good opportunity for them to get to know me better and share more about myself personally since I haven't been working at my job long.

We had lunch and they drank and I didn't. I think it's important to show that I have no issue sitting with them while they eat ham and drink beer, and being in their comfort zone and away from mine. I felt welcome being with them and being the only asian person there, people treated me no different and were friendly.

I guess this just showed me that what you read on the internet can be so toxic on forums like this, especially in heightened times when there are terrorist attacks that cause destruction and division, it can make you paranoid that the world hates you, but in reality you encounter so many kind souls.

At times like this it's important to strengthen your personal and working relationships
Poooky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I work in a research group, with a native Bangladesi, Syrian and Iraqi. They're all Muslim and have no issues in eating at a pub, even with others drinking I agree about the personal relationships bit, you're not obliged to join in but if you don't even try, people will stop making effort with you,and that holds true no matter where you are!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Poooky)
I work in a research group, with a native Bangladesi, Syrian and Iraqi. They're all Muslim and have no issues in eating at a pub, even with others drinking I agree about the personal relationships bit, you're not obliged to join in but if you don't even try, people will stop making effort with you,and that holds true no matter where you are!
That is awesome!
Yeah, people have to be open minded and at least try. I've never been to a pub before that and I felt out of place when they were discussing beforehand what they were going to drink and which pub, but I went and didn't need to change myself to be there. I'm glad I went and got chatting to the 2 managers more and my other colleagues. It was nice to speak to them outside of work.
Anonymous #1
We must respect and tolerate other peoples lifestyles even if you don't drink or smoke etc. You have to mix in and not confine yourself to your own community. Venture out of your comfort zone to break the stereotypes and find your common ground with people from different walks of life.
.Iqra.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course I don't go with my work colleagues :noway:
sfaraj
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my co-workers are middle aged parents and im a 17 year old so no...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by iqra2159)
Of course I don't go with my work colleagues :noway:
So what do you do/say when all of them go out at lunch and you don't? You can't keep segregating yourself as an individual in a work team.

I think it takes courage to say yes and venture out of your comfort zone whilst still sticking to your lifestyle choices.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They can do as they wish since it is the lifestyle they chose. You don't need to drink to fit in, don't ever do that.
Holding a conversation doesn't require alcohol, come on.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by wretch12)
They can do as they wish since it is the lifestyle they chose. You don't need to drink to fit in, don't ever do that.
Holding a conversation doesn't require alcohol, come on.
I know, I've been to a work black tie event before where it was just tables full of alcohol and not even any soft drinks. I had to drink water all night but I at least went instead of flaking. It was a new experience.

My point is that you don't have to say no and segregate yourself all the time, you should at least try to get on with different communities.
.Iqra.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So what do you do/say when all of them go out at lunch and you don't? You can't keep segregating yourself as an individual in a work team.

I think it takes courage to say yes and venture out of your comfort zone whilst still sticking to your lifestyle choices.
I'm 16 y/o in school doing GCSEs
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My last workplace had a high % of Muslim staff due to the area it was based. Everyone mixed with everyone and my Muslim colleagues often joined us at the pub etc and just had a coffee/juice/coke instead, it was never a big deal. TBH it was a great experience for me because I learnt so much about Islam that I never knew before. The only time it was an issue was when a staff do was organised with a Hog roast that was felt to be a bit unnecessary...
SmileyChap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

You'd tell them straight out: "I don't sit in places with alcohol present. But I hope you have a lovely time!".

Honest, yet kind will get your point across. If that's what you believe in, then you should implement your views despite others' thoughts.
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went to a pub with my work colleagues for lunch yesterday since it was pay day, dress down day and nice weather. We sat in a 'beer garden' with the sun blazing on us and it was a new experience being there. It was a good opportunity for them to get to know me better and share more about myself personally since I haven't been working at my job long.

We had lunch and they drank and I didn't. I think it's important to show that I have no issue sitting with them while they eat ham and drink beer, and being in their comfort zone and away from mine. I felt welcome being with them and being the only asian person there, people treated me no different and were friendly.

I guess this just showed me that what you read on the internet can be so toxic on forums like this, especially in heightened times when there are terrorist attacks that cause destruction and division, it can make you paranoid that the world hates you, but in reality you encounter so many kind souls.

At times like this it's important to strengthen your personal and working relationships
ok thanks for that you white knight
darfbobo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see muslim in the pub drinking whisky and beer wkds ever saturday
StudentIZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I’m a hijabi and my classmates are planning to meet up at a pub and I’m the only muslim/hijabi in my class and I’m afraid if I don’t go that I’ll be forever alienated from these groups.I can resist alcohol, it doesn’t tempt me anyway and I really want to go just so that we get to know each other well and they don’t avoid me because I’m backward or whatever 🙃All I want to know is, since it’s a pub and it’s in the evening, I don’t know what to do about hijab.I don’t want to attract attention by being the only hijabi in a pub, it’s bad as well as bringing down the image of Muslim women No one is going to know if I’m drinking or no.I know I shouldn’t be going in the first place but I don’t want to say no to the first meeting.After a few of probably stop. But can someone pls tell me how should I go? With hijab seems so bad and I’ve never really gone out without hijab before, I mean I’ve atleast worn a beanie but never without anything. I’m nervous, could someone pls help me out
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StudentIZ)
Hi, I’m a hijabi and my classmates are planning to meet up at a pub and I’m the only muslim/hijabi in my class and I’m afraid if I don’t go that I’ll be forever alienated from these groups.I can resist alcohol, it doesn’t tempt me anyway and I really want to go just so that we get to know each other well and they don’t avoid me because I’m backward or whatever 🙃All I want to know is, since it’s a pub and it’s in the evening, I don’t know what to do about hijab.I don’t want to attract attention by being the only hijabi in a pub, it’s bad as well as bringing down the image of Muslim women No one is going to know if I’m drinking or no.I know I shouldn’t be going in the first place but I don’t want to say no to the first meeting.After a few of probably stop. But can someone pls tell me how should I go? With hijab seems so bad and I’ve never really gone out without hijab before, I mean I’ve atleast worn a beanie but never without anything. I’m nervous, could someone pls help me out
You could tell them straight up that it’s against your religion or you can just say you’re busy and join them another time when they don’t go to the pub. Are you in sixth form or university?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
It's quite sad to see our fellow Muslims falling for such traps and compromising on the deen. If you are friends with Non-Muslims or have colleagues who are non-Muslim make an effort to raise awareness to that aspect of your belief. Kindly decline the invitation and offer alternatives that would be suitable.

Do take into account your choices/action have an effect on the rest of the Ummah...If some Muslims make this a habit of compromising their beliefs then it sets the wrong image when us who are practicing decline as they will go "Oh but I have Muslim friends who come out for drinks with us"...Stick by your beliefs.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't let Shaytan (Satan) lead you to such a path that you may regret later...If you do go they will influence you towards more sins. I don't understand how anyone can be friends with people who do not respect them for their beliefs. You are caught in the middle of doubts one that may lead you to taking the hijaab off. I strong advice against this sister.

You're worried about what people will think if you don't go and at the same time about what others might think if you do...What about Allah ﷻ?

Alcohol is forbidden for a reason - And you will feel very uncomfortable & out of place in a pub. Join the ISOC at your university and make friends with people who won't influence you to compromise your faith.
-Quava-
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's heartbreaking to see members of our Ummah sacrifice their deen for acceptance in this dunya.

That first time you go in with or without your hijab will create a mark in your deen. You've done it and you'll feel comfortable doing it again and you won't think twice being asked going to similar social outings.

What about when everyones drinking? You will also feel the pressure to drink and once you've given in to stepping in side and removing your hijab, come a few the second or third time and you will begin to feel the pressure and you will consider it.

Say no to the first meeting and explain why and say no to any other meeting where your deen has to be compromised.
You shouldn't seek acceptance. If these people love you then they will live you no matter what. If this is going to put them off then you need new company.
And it is seeking acceptance that is backward- not being proud of who you are!

Since you're friends are making you feel this way then I advise seeking new friends.
Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “A man is upon the religion of his best friend, so let one of you look at whom he befriends.” Sunan al-Tirmidhī 2378.
The harsh reality is that over time they will leave their mark on you.
-Quava-
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
Don’t go to the pub. You should tell them straight up that it’s against your religion or you can just say you’re busy and join them another time when they don’t go to the pub. Are you in sixth form or university?
Don't let Shaytan lead you to such a path that you may regret later...If you do go they will influence you towards more sins. I don't understand how anyone can be friends with people who do not respect them for their beliefs. You are caught in the middle of doubts one that may lead you to taking the hijaab off. I strong advice against this sister.

You're worried about what people will think if you don't go and at the same time about what others might think if you do...What about Allah ﷻ?

Alcohol is forbidden for a reason - And you will feel very uncomfortable & out of place in a pub. Join the ISOC at your university and make friends with people who won't influence you to compromise your faith.
It's quite sad to see our fellow Muslims falling for such traps and compromising on the deen. If you are friends with Non-Muslims or have colleagues who are non-Muslim make an effort to raise awareness to that aspect of your belief. Kindly decline the invitation and offer alternatives that would be suitable.

Do take into account your choices/action have an effect on the rest of the Ummah...If some Muslims make this a habit of compromising their beliefs then it sets the wrong image when us who are practicing decline as they will go "Oh but I have Muslim friends who come out for drinks with us"...Stick by your beliefs.
I'm pleased to read these posts- you've all given good advice
May Allah preserve your deen.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads