The Student Room Group

How to get a first in a law exam?

I have my exams coming up, and just wondering how to get those top-class marks? Of course, exam criterias differ from course to course, but what can I do to really make my exam papers stand out?

Thank you!!!!
Reply 1
This is something you should have practiced throughout the year, like doing practice questions and getting your tutor to give you feedback, that is the best way. If you still have time do it.

Knowledge, structure, language, analysis, discussion these are some of the qualities of a very good essay. You have to have the basics nailed, can't stress that enough, and then expand beyond your recommended reading into academic articles, journals etc.
Original post by too many legs.
I have my exams coming up, and just wondering how to get those top-class marks? Of course, exam criterias differ from course to course, but what can I do to really make my exam papers stand out?

Thank you!!!!

First of all, please ensure that you do not make silly grammatical mistakes like writing "criterias" (criteria is already the plural form). Secondly, the trick is to distinguish and/or analogise with the facts of previous cases well. That's all there is to it. If your understanding of the cases is such that you know how to compare and contrast the current fact scenario with the facts of the cases, you are on your way to a first.

If you know your cases well enough to do the above, it is obvious that you will be able to spot all the issues and sub-issues well enough to get a 2.1. But to get that first, you need to know not just the rules and sub-rules from the cases, but also the material facts. I can't stress this enough.
Original post by too many legs.

Thank you!!!!

Really, it's all about the cases and how you use them. For a I, it's not enough just to regurgitate the standard cases (the starred ones on the reading list) - you need to go further and try to refine it by choosing more relevant cases to the question you're being asked. The only way to be able to do this is through further reading, of course. If you can weave the cases together seamlessly, and write with flair and conviction, you're on your way to a I.
Original post by Reality Check
Really, it's all about the cases and how you use them. For a I, it's not enough just to regurgitate the standard cases (the starred ones on the reading list) - you need to go further and try to refine it by choosing more relevant cases to the question you're being asked. The only way to be able to do this is through further reading, of course. If you can weave the cases together seamlessly, and write with flair and conviction, you're on your way to a I.

Original post by jessjanellbhons1
First of all, please ensure that you do not make silly grammatical mistakes like writing "criterias" (criteria is already the plural form). Secondly, the trick is to distinguish and/or analogise with the facts of previous cases well. That's all there is to it. If your understanding of the cases is such that you know how to compare and contrast the current fact scenario with the facts of the cases, you are on your way to a first.

If you know your cases well enough to do the above, it is obvious that you will be able to spot all the issues and sub-issues well enough to get a 2.1. But to get that first, you need to know not just the rules and sub-rules from the cases, but also the material facts. I can't stress this enough.

Original post by Beanpie
This is something you should have practiced throughout the year, like doing practice questions and getting your tutor to give you feedback, that is the best way. If you still have time do it.

Knowledge, structure, language, analysis, discussion these are some of the qualities of a very good essay. You have to have the basics nailed, can't stress that enough, and then expand beyond your recommended reading into academic articles, journals etc.

Thanks so much guys!!! :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending