Differences between new and old spec OCR Physics A.

Watch
no-chains
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm studying the new spec H556. As theres not many past papers I have to do the past papers from the old spec G484. I know that there are slight differences between the two. Does anybody know what is not included in G484 that I will need to know for H556? Thanks.
physion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anybody know what are the differences between old and new specs in CIE IAL Physics. Also, what about the differences between old and new specs in Edexcel IAL Physics? Thank you!!
suhaylpatel786
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by no-chains)
I'm studying the new spec H556. As theres not many past papers I have to do the past papers from the old spec G484. I know that there are slight differences between the two. Does anybody know what is not included in G484 that I will need to know for H556? Thanks.
Hi there, as you said there's not many past paper's for the new spec, but there are 3 sets of specimen papers and more practice papers that your college may purchase.

I'm guessing you are an AS student moving to A2. I'd suggest at the moment work on question by topic packs, like those found on the Cowen Physics website. Do the topic packs for each chapter in your A2 book. These topic packs are made from the old spec papers. Doing these will prepare you to do papers later on.

Your textbooks and the cgp revision guide whichever I recommend using both, is split into two, one half for paper 1 and the other for paper 2.

After completing paper 1 content and the topic packs from Cowen physics and possibly also from Physics and Maths tutor for this half, you can start G484 papers. Ideally, since those papers were shorter than the new ones. I'd suggest joining G481 and G484 together and do that as one paper and timed.

After completing content for paper 2 and the topic packs, you can start G485, but join it with G482. Doing this would prep you better than doing them separately.

Eventually, after completing these, they'll feel easy for you, and then the spec papers will be the next challenge. Those are harder, and the best way to prepare for them is to do all the specimen papers from OCR B and OCR A. Two sets of specimens from both boards are locked for students, so you'll get those from your teachers.
Note that OCR B and OCR A are different in paper style, but it's good to practice the new style content and try questions on dodgy practicals.

Don't worry about what's not in the spec anymore etc, and what's been added. As you'll go through the new spec textbooks and revision guides you'll figure out what you don't need. However, the style.of questions are changing, and they are testing more on practical skills and knowledge on uncertainties, so reading from different sources and different books will help improve this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads