The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for a Medicine Degree?

I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I was wondering if the grades I have been predicted would be good enough for a Medicine Degree (at any university really, but Cambridge is one of my top options):
English: 7 (A)
Maths: 7 (A)
Biology: A/A*
Chemistry: A/A*
Physics: A/A*
Geography: A
Music: B
Computer Science: B/A
RE (Religious Education): A/A*
-Since I'm still doing my GCSEs there's no certainty that I'm going to get these grades exactly but I really really want to do medicine and I'm going to continue trying super hard at A-Level for good results too. Any help about this would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I have a few months left till I have to officially decide on my A-level options so are these options for A-level relevant to Medicine:
option 1 - Chemistry
option 2 - Biology
option 3 - Physics
option 4 - Psychology
(Not sure whether I should drop Psychology or Physics after the first year though)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notgonnasaymisha
I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I was wondering if the grades I have been predicted would be good enough for a Medicine Degree (at any university really, but Cambridge is one of my top options):
English: 7 (A)
Maths: 7 (A)
Biology: A/A*
Chemistry: A/A*
Physics: A/A*
Geography: A
Music: B
Computer Science: B/A
RE (Religious Education): A/A*
-Since I'm still doing my GCSEs there's no certainty that I'm going to get these grades exactly but I really really want to do medicine and I'm going to continue trying super hard at A-Level for good results too. Any help about this would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I have a few months left till I have to officially decide on my A-level options so are these options for A-level relevant to Medicine:
option 1 - Chemistry
option 2 - Biology
option 3 - Physics
option 4 - Psychology
(Not sure whether I should drop Psychology or Physics after the first year though)

Chemistry and bio to A2 along with one other subject (doesn't matter if psych or physics) is ideal.

Yes, but tbh, UKCAT/BMAT is probably the second most important factor (generally) to getting admitted (top is naturally getting the A level grades). A lot of places just ask for minimum to be met, and they rank you on UKCAT. Others take a balanced view, others focus on PS, others focus on GCSE grades

Regarding Cambridge specifically, they ask for 3 sciences/maths to at least AS. They mention that candidates who have 3 science/maths to A2 fare a lot better in terms of getting accepted, so it might be worth keeping physics if you strongly want to try at Cambridge.
before clicking on this, i said if OP is going to give me straight A*/A grades im going to stab myself,

byee

before i leave this world, why you taking physics/ psychology out of curiosity
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you for replying quite quickly, considering what you said I might keep Physics then (hopefully the exam will go well). Also, if the university I was applying to was going to look at my GCSE grades, would they be okay/good enough for a medicine degree?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Chemistry and bio to A2 along with one other subject (doesn't matter if psych or physics) is ideal.

Yes, but tbh, UKCAT/BMAT is probably the second most important factor (generally) to getting admitted (top is naturally getting the A level grades). A lot of places just ask for minimum to be met, and they rank you on UKCAT. Others take a balanced view, others focus on PS, others focus on GCSE grades

Regarding Cambridge specifically, they ask for 3 sciences/maths to at least AS. They mention that candidates who have 3 science/maths to A2 fare a lot better in terms of getting accepted, so it might be worth keeping physics if you strongly want to try at Cambridge.
Aw no & I want to take physics because (a) the subject isn't too bad, the exams just give me a mare (b) I've read on some A-level requirements that a good option after Biology and Chemistry would be Physics or Maths, I quite enjoy Maths too but I don't know whether I'm good enough so I guess we'll wait for that answer on Results Day && I want to take psychology because it generally seems interesting and fascinating, it also seems quite less stressful alongside Biology and Chemsitry yk?
Original post by sfaraj
before clicking on this, i said if OP is going to give me straight A*/A grades im going to stab myself,

byee

before i leave this world, why you taking physics/ psychology out of curiosity
Aw no & I want to take physics because (a) the subject isn't too bad, the exams just give me a mare (b) I've read on some A-level requirements that a good option after Biology and Chemistry would be Physics or Maths, I quite enjoy Maths too but I don't know whether I'm good enough so I guess we'll wait for that answer on Results Day && I want to take psychology because it generally seems interesting and fascinating, it also seems quite less stressful alongside Biology and Chemsitry yk?

psychology is a good subject, i'm currently enjoying it but theres a lot of case studies to remember if you are taking it for 2 years.

physics is not compulsory, my friends have taken bio chem mahts further maths and physics and honestly you have more or less the same chance as someone with bio chem history or bio chem maths. if you look on different uni admissions, you'd see that many require chem and 1 other from bio, phys and maths, most require chem, bio and 1 other. but do your research properly, bio and chem is a must but make sure your 3rd isn't influenced too much by medicine because the people i mentioned above cannot wait to drop physics, so basically a whole year down the drain
wow wish i was predicated for these results last year. i have messed up all my exams so i cannot do medicine which i really wanted to do :frown:

Lmao, subject isnt too bad- physics A level is easily in top 3 most difficult A levels, i find it hardest out of sciences, but it looks really good for unis so your choice, oxbridge also dont consider psychology a science btw
Original post by Amyjane__
wow wish i was predicated for these results last year. i have messed up all my exams so i cannot do medicine which i really wanted to do :frown:

There are always options. What sort of grades have you got?
Original post by Neostigmine
There are always options. What sort of grades have you got?

really bad ones
physics f
biology f
chemistry f
english lang coursework b
english lang d re taking this year hoping for b
maths f retaking next year
additional science c. a in coursework
really bad ones
physics f
biology f
chemistry f
english lang coursework b
english lang d re taking this year hoping for b
maths f retaking next year
additional science c. a in coursework

Is this GCSE?

You are limited if these are your end-of-Year-11 grades. But there are always ways round it. Post graduate medicine? Entry courses?
Original post by Neostigmine
Is this GCSE?

You are limited if these are your end-of-Year-11 grades. But there are always ways round it. Post graduate medicine? Entry courses?

yeah gsce. yeah i know its just going to take me a little longer than most. would need to do a levels as well?
Cambridge has no requirement as to the number of A/A* in GCSE as long as at least 6 GCSEs have been done

Most universities will demand at least AAABB or above in Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, Mathematics, and Physics.

Oxford is very demanding on GCSE's and the average applicant there has 9.8 A* (dependant on you cohort as a school)

In general a medicine applicant is expected to excel in academics, as this is the minimum requirement (given that work experience and reflexion on a career on medicine is the real divider among students)

What you need to focus most on are very (VERY) strong science A levels. Chemistry is compulsory, and doing Maths, Bio and Physics is advisable. You should consider taking 3 science A levels, as 98% of applicants do (and 3/4 science A levels has the highest rate of successful entry)

Doing the 4 sciences for A level is not necessary, and indeed it may impair your ability to deal with work experience and extra-curricular research. That being said, doing the 4 sciences will be very beneficial when it comes to preparing for BMAT (which is indeed one of the main requirements for Cambridge)

Edit: Psychology is not considered a relevant subject for medicine, so you would probably be better off not choosing it if you really don't think you can choose maths instead of it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Aw no & I want to take physics because (a) the subject isn't too bad, the exams just give me a mare (b) I've read on some A-level requirements that a good option after Biology and Chemistry would be Physics or Maths, I quite enjoy Maths too but I don't know whether I'm good enough so I guess we'll wait for that answer on Results Day && I want to take psychology because it genverally seems interesting and fascinating, it also seems quite less stressful alongside Biology and Chemsitry yk?

If you do have the choice between physics and maths then do bear in mind that maths is correlated with getting a better result in the bmat, whereas physics is not.
I might consider psychology then, plus I don't think the case studies will be a problem because after GCSE Geography, case studies seem to flow :') unless theres like lots and lots, but thank you, I might do some further research too
Original post by sfaraj
psychology is a good subject, i'm currently enjoying it but theres a lot of case studies to remember if you are taking it for 2 years.

physics is not compulsory, my friends have taken bio chem mahts further maths and physics and honestly you have more or less the same chance as someone with bio chem history or bio chem maths. if you look on different uni admissions, you'd see that many require chem and 1 other from bio, phys and maths, most require chem, bio and 1 other. but do your research properly, bio and chem is a must but make sure your 3rd isn't influenced too much by medicine because the people i mentioned above cannot wait to drop physics, so basically a whole year down the drain
Goshhh, I have a lot of thinking to do over the summer & yeah I got informed that a few months back but I thought it might give some variety to my options
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Lmao, subject isnt too bad- physics A level is easily in top 3 most difficult A levels, i find it hardest out of sciences, but it looks really good for unis so your choice, oxbridge also dont consider psychology a science btw
Original post by glad-he-ate-her

Like on paper I feel like chemistry is harder but when it comes to tests I always do at least 10% better in chemistry.
yeah gsce. yeah i know its just going to take me a little longer than most. would need to do a levels as well?

This will vary from place to place so look into it early.

Think carefully about why your GCSEs were what they were and if you could endure medicine. It's not hard in terms of complicated, but it's big. Lots to learn. Then look into post grad (so you'd need to do a levels and do another degree first) or entry courses which all have different requirements but you'd then join the standard medicine degrees. Not all entry courses are accepted by all unis etc. You're going to need to do a lot of leg work to research it all, but it'll be worth it if it all works out!
I was on the Cambridge website earlier and they said that it does depend on how your high school at the time performed, I know one student last year got all A*s which was so impressing but I just hope that I do well enough to at least get considered for it, after reading what you've written, I might take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology and then just drop Psychology. Or I even might take maths instead of psychology and drop maths after the first year too. I'm not too sure.
Original post by tremen222
Cambridge has no requirement as to the number of A/A* in GCSE as long as at least 6 GCSEs have been done

Most universities will demand at least AAABB or above in Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, Mathematics, and Physics.

Oxford is very demanding on GCSE's and the average applicant there has 9.8 A* (dependant on you cohort as a school)

In general a medicine applicant is expected to excel in academics, as this is the minimum requirement (given that work experience and reflexion on a career on medicine is the real divider among students)

What you need to focus most on are very (VERY) strong science A levels. Chemistry is compulsory, and doing Maths, Bio and Physics is advisable. You should consider taking 3 science A levels, as 98% of applicants do (and 3/4 science A levels has the highest rate of successful entry)

Doing the 4 sciences for A level is not necessary, and indeed it may impair your ability to deal with work experience and extra-curricular research. That being said, doing the 4 sciences will be very beneficial when it comes to preparing for BMAT (which is indeed one of the main requirements for Cambridge)

Edit: Psychology is not considered a relevant subject for medicine, so you would probably be better off not choosing it if you really don't think you can choose maths instead of it.
After re-taking some I'm sure there is a way, dont lose hope out on your dream! You can achieve it one day I'm sure

Quick Reply