The Student Room Group

Londoners are least likely to support a gay or transgender child

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannahk999
ONLY 7%- Whilst 45% of London's population is White British, the graph shows that it is by far the most common ethno-national group. A further 15% are from other white groups. The next largest ethnic groups in London are Indian and Black African each making up around 7% of the population.

Yes. 45% is very low compared to most places in the country. It's relative.

I'm really surprised that as a Muslim, you don't see that Muslims are more likely to be against homosexuality than the general population. I would also bet that London has more people who don't eat pork than the national average.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sternumator
Agreed. I'd definitely be in the unhappy category. I don't really know what "support" means. I wouldn't kick them out on the street over it but it is a great shame. I couldn't see myself being alright with the gay partner coming over to my house.

Why would it be a shame?
Original post by Trapz99
It's not 'homophobic" to want your child to avoid living a sinful lifestyle.

I hope you never have kids
Original post by slade p
Religious white also don't accept it. You can't just cherry the leftist atheist whites who accept it and say they represent all whites. A lot of the fervant opposition to gays is from religious whites.

Whites are less far less religious though.
Original post by desaf1
Exactly but in today's messed up society Anyone who believes in traditional family values is called a 'homophobe'.

I'd say that it's more messed up that a quarter of young homeless people on the streets of Britain today are LGBT, despite only accounting for 5-7% of the population - and the reason why? Because people like you value some old fashioned, damaging "traditional family structure" that rises suicide rates, pushes vulnerable people onto the streets and leaves the people who believe in this structure to still say "but I'm not a homophobe !!!!!!!!"
Original post by Trapz99

What a vile thing to say. For shame.
Original post by desaf1
Exactly but in today's messed up society Anyone who believes in traditional family values is called a 'homophobe'.

Sounds like something a homophobe would say
Original post by SingAboutMe
But as white British Christian populations in London are far lower than the vast majority of the country, your point doesn't explain why there is a much larger amount of homophobes in the capital city than in the rest of the country.

Whilst 45% of London's population is White British, the graph shows that it is by far the most common ethno-national group.
Asians and Black's make up a mere 7%.
According to the 2011 Census, the largest religious groupings are Christians (48.4 per cent), followed by those of no religion (20.7 per cent).
They are much more than any other in London.

According to the 2011 UK census, Christianity is the major religion.
Within this ethnic group, White British was the largest, with 45.1 million people (80.5 per cent), followed by Any Other White1 with 2.5 million people (4.4 per cent).

They aren't far lower, they are higher than any other.
Although the articles from 2015 I doubt the results would've significantly morphed into that of pro lgbt ights. And I agree, that it's largely because of the high percentage of asain/black immigrants. But also, Londoners being more religious than the rest of Britain is a contributing factor.
Reply 49
Original post by Trapz99

Being gay is not a sin. How could loving someone be a sin?? Also saying being gay is a sinful lifestyle IS being homophobic.:unimpressed:
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I'd say that it's more messed up that a quarter of young homeless people on the streets of Britain today are LGBT, despite only accounting for 5-7% of the population - and the reason why? Because people like you value some old fashioned, damaging "traditional family structure" that rises suicide rates, pushes vulnerable people onto the streets and leaves the people who believe in this structure to still say "but I'm not a homophobe !!!!!!!!"

Having a preference doesn't make you a homophobe
Original post by SingAboutMe
YouGove poll shows that Londoners are five times more likely than the rest of Britain to reject support for a gay child

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/03/18/exclusive-londoners-are-least-likely-to-accept-a-gay-or-transgender-child/

I thought London was supposed to be one of the more progressive, liberal areas in the UK. This is after all an area which mainly votes Labour.

Can anyone work out why there is so much more homophobia in London?

I'm a Londoner and don't hate gays, I'm fine with them being bisexual, gay or lesbian - but after that it's getting into fairy land
Original post by Kravence
Having a preference doesn't make you a homophobe

I probably should have made this clearer, but you are homophobic if you think that a child being gay is bad because it disturbs this structure
Reply 53
Original post by slade p
Religious white also don't accept it. You can't just cherry the leftist atheist whites who accept it and say they represent all whites. A lot of the fervant opposition to gays is from religious whites.

Not anymore:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/12/18/most-u-s-christian-groups-grow-more-accepting-of-homosexuality/

Although this is for the USA, the trend is even more pronounced in the UK, since Mormons and evangelical Protestants are rare there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Love how people love spouting the fact that muslims are homophobic when homophobia is very prevalent in black communities, asian communities ( not just muslim, oriental communities too), latinos are very homophobic, arabs( even non muslims) are homophobic, turks, loads of eastern european countries, russians, the reason people hate homosexual people is because they feel that on a basic level it feels wrong, the view that a family should consist of a man and a woman and children is by no means limited to any religion or country. People trying to claim that being homophobic puts you in a minority, sorry to say but most of the world is homophobic, those who accept homosexuality are in fact the minority.
Original post by That'sGreat
I'm a Londoner and don't hate gays, I'm fine with them being bisexual, gay or lesbian - but after that it's getting into fairy land

Asexuality?
Reply 56
Original post by akbar0123
Why would you want your child to become gay or 'trans'?

You don't become gay or trans. YOU AR GAY OR TRANS. It's like saying you became straight and you came out saying "oh....im straight."
Original post by feministy
Asexuality?

Sorry, a should have been called eater. I meant I'm fine with liking boys, liking girls,Minot like anyone etc., but not the gender problems
Original post by dream00
You don't become gay or trans. YOU AR GAY OR TRANS. It's like saying you became straight and you came out saying "oh....im straight."

Homophobes think we are all born straight, like are babies meant to feel that kinda stuff??
Reply 59
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus

Well perhaps if they don't want to live on the streets they can get a job and work. Parents don't have to care for you if you're an adult. If my child ever wanted to live that sort of lifestyle I'm certainly not paying for it. I won't attack him/her obviously but I'm not going to fund that lifestyle.

Original post by feministy
Sounds like something a homophobe would say

Yes, in today's society everyone a homophobe unless they give up their deeply held beliefs and embrace sin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending