The Student Room Group

Don't think I made my firm offer...

I don't think I made a specific subject requirement for my firm choice university, and am wondering what to do now.

What is the best thing to do in order to maximise my chances of my uni giving me a place even if I miss the offer? Should I email them to warn them of me missing my offer? What could persuade them to give me a place anyways at this point?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by natureiscool
I don't think I made a specific subject requirement for my firm choice university, and am wondering what to do now.

What is the best thing to do in order to maximise my chances of my uni giving me a place even if I miss the offer? Should I email them to warn them of me missing my offer? What could persuade them to give me a place anyways at this point?

Thanks

You should only tell them now if you have any extenuating circumstances. This is things like illness, bereavement etc. Unis need to know about these things in advance of results day.

For anything else, there's no point telling them. What are you going to say - you messed up your exams? Why do they need to know that now?

The only way to maximise your chances is to focus on your remaining exams. You need to do as well as you possibly can. If you have time, then you may wish to consider doing something like work experience or volunteering over the summer. This could make you look like a better candidate. It may not make a difference, though.
Reply 2
Original post by natureiscool

Thanks

It will entirely depend on the circumstances and also on the other offer holders.

It's not uncommon for a university to allow a 1 or 2 grade miss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
It will entirely depend on the circumstances and also on the other offer holders.

It's not uncommon for a university to allow a 1 or 2 grade miss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Though bear in mind this is very dependent on the course. It's much more likely to happen for journalism at Manchester Met than it is to happen for Law at UCL

(No dis to manchester met or journalism, it's just not a paticularly competitive course/uni)
Original post by Michael_Fishy
Manchester Met than it is to happen for Law at UCL

I know what you mean but why did you have to make such a big comparison leap xD When I went to a Southampton Open Day (which is Russell Group), despite the offer being BBB I met a number of people who got BCC to CDD. Also true (to a lesser extent) with less competitive courses at Birmingham

Having higher "entry requirements" makes a course look more competitive and makes more people apply, even if in practice they tend to accept lower than this
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Not much you can do now but on results day if you do miss your offer then def try ringing them up - nothing to lose and they may still have places on similar courses. Try not to spend all summer stressing about it - A-level results can be unpredictable! x
Original post by auburnstar
I know what you mean but why did you have to make such a big comparison leap xD When I went to a Southampton Open Day (which is Russell Group), despite the offer being BBB I met a number of people who got BCC to CDD. Also true (to a lesser extent) with less competitive courses at Birmingham

Having higher "entry requirements" makes a course look more competitive and makes more people apply, even if in practice they tend to accept lower than this

depends on the individual courses, something like underwater basket weaving would be less competitive (thus more lenient) than electronic engineering at soton
Reply 7
Though bear in mind this is very dependent on the course. It's much more likely to happen for journalism at Manchester Met than it is to happen for Law at UCL

(No dis to manchester met or journalism, it's just not a paticularly competitive course/uni)

Don't be so presumptive. "Even" Cambridge is known to allow a 1 grade miss if the circumstances merit it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't be so presumptive. "Even" Cambridge is known to allow a 1 grade miss if the circumstances merit it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it does happen, hence why I said much more likey, as opposed to will only happen if. I just think it's better that OP errs on the side of caution, since it is a lot less likely with more competitive courses.
I honestly know a lot of people who have missed their grade offers and still been accepted. I know one who was meant to get;

ABB

She got BBD. Still got accepted into said RG.
Reply 10
I know it does happen, hence why I said much more likey, as opposed to will only happen if. I just think it's better that OP errs on the side of caution, since it is a lot less likely with more competitive courses.

UCL law : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2786463&p=67087104&page=111&highlight=UCL#post67087104
and: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=58565039&postcount=1285

There's probably others too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Manchester offered me AA in Maths and Further Maths if I got AB or A*B is their a reasonable chance that they would still take me?

this is for the maths and statistics degree btw
Reply 12
Original post by Luke7456
Manchester offered me AA in Maths and Further Maths if I got AB or A*B is their a reasonable chance that they would still take me?

this is for the maths and statistics degree btw

As with any question like this the answer is; it entirely depends on the circumstances. Only Manchester can answer, and only really once they see how well all their other applicants have done on Results Day. You could ask Manchester today if they have previously accepted candidates with those grades, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean they will this year.
As with any question like this the answer is; it entirely depends on the circumstances. Only Manchester can answer, and only really once they see how well all their other applicants have done on Results Day. You could ask Manchester today if they have previously accepted candidates with those grades, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean they will this year.

from the data I took 32% of their students had B grade in further Maths which certainly looks promising. It would be very difficult for me to do worse then AB and my guess is Manchester are still a highly respected and quality maths course so I could live with that.I still want MORSE at Warwick guess will just have to see how things go. if I have a strong showing in the remaining stats 4 modules for further Maths an A* grade is still realistic just really not sure how Warwick would look at things if I got A*A* in maths and further Maths but had DD in FP1 and FP2.

thing is though the data I got is not all that good. Manchester Math course averages 343.8 on my spreadsheet which comes to between AAB and AAA but they ask for AAA. just we don't know how much variance their is in their student grade numbers.

arent applicant numbers down this year?
Reply 14
arent applicant numbers down this year?

Not for Maths, up 3% on last year.
https://www.ucas.com/file/92621/download?token=DX3KK1Vq

thats not good for me. No way of getting applicant numbers for Manchester and Nottingham?

if I do end up at York are they okay would I still get a decent Math education their?
Reply 16
just really not sure how Warwick would look at things if I got A*A* in maths and further Maths but had DD in FP1 and FP2.

If your offer doesn't specify modules (which it almost certainly doesn't) then an A* is an A* and meets the requirement.
If your offer doesn't specify modules (which it almost certainly doesn't) then an A* is an A* and meets the requirement.

yeah I explain myself poorly I know If I get AA I am in anyway what i meant to say is If I took a year out and applied to Warwick MORSE course with A*A* but DD in FP1 and FP2 would an offer be realistic or unrealistic?

I have not applied their yet its what I do if I do well.
Reply 18
thats not good for me. No way of getting applicant numbers for Manchester and Nottingham?

if I do end up at York are they okay would I still get a decent Math education their?

I don't think provider-level course data is available until after the cycle has finished.

Why do you doubt York's ability to give a "decent Maths education"? Of course it will be decent.
Reply 19
yeah I explain myself poorly I know If I get AA I am in anyway what i meant to say is If I took a year out and applied to Warwick MORSE course with A*A* but DD in FP1 and FP2 would an offer be realistic or unrealistic?

I have not applied their yet its what I do if I do well.

You would need to ask Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest