The Student Room Group

Teacher marking you down even via Turnitin?

Even when i submit my essay anonymously (no name) via Turnitin, I'm worried the marker knows who I am because they might be able to see my student number... and all they need to do is memorise my student number to mark me down, or just look it up on the university database to match it with my name...

is this possible?
It's possible. Against the uni rules obvs but unless you've been a right dickhead you have nothing to worry about :h:
I've come up against this myself. My Student ID is the only one in my university which starts with a specific number as I was a student there in 1998. I wasn't happy about it and asked the university to change my number but they refused. I'm fully aware that all my lecturers recognize my student ID.
Original post by Voi
Even when i submit my essay anonymously (no name) via Turnitin, I'm worried the marker knows who I am because they might be able to see my student number... and all they need to do is memorise my student number to mark me down, or just look it up on the university database to match it with my name...

is this possible?

Why would they want to memorize your ID?
Reply 4
Original post by Seamus123
Why would they want to memorize your ID?

To mark me down of course? :s-smilie:

I feel like before you even start, lecturers automatically know who will get a 1st or 2.1... they can we judge how you loook, and if you fit in, the way you talk, and your personality etc...

I feel like they prioritise ethnic minorities and those with disabilities ... no matter if their work isn't that good..

Maybe I'm being paranoid?

Ugh... I just feel like no matter how hard I try they will always mark me down just by account of who I am. - like they're always limiting you ...

Can anyone relate to this?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Voi

I feel like before you even start, lecturers automatically know who will get a 1st or 2.1... they can we judge how you loook, and if you fit in, the way you talk, and your personality etc...

I feel like they prioritise ethnic minorities and those with disabilities ... no matter if their work isn't that good..

Maybe I'm being paranoid?

Ugh... I just feel like no matter how hard I try they will always mark me down just by account of who I am. - like they're always limiting you ...

Can anyone relate to this?

I don't understand why you're si worried about who you are unless you think who you are is not likeable/annoying to a tutor in which case...don't be like that?
Reply 6
Original post by infairverona
I don't understand why you're si worried about who you are unless you think who you are is not likeable/annoying to a tutor in which case...don't be like that?

No I'm the opposite..I'm quite shy around them... the fact that I don't talk much might make them think I don't know as much as I actually do...

One particular lecturer I was talking to was like...'yes yes, you want a first, but you look to me like you're from a working class background, and I can see by how you look that you don't have it in you to get one... if you try and get cocky by producing good work, il just mark it down to the level that reflects your working class upbringing ... don't make me laugh with all that anonymous Turnitin rubbish'

He didn't say this but this is the vibe I'm getting off him through his body language and how he behaves when talking to me...
Original post by Voi
No I'm the opposite..I'm quite shy around them... the fact that I don't talk much might make them think I don't know as much as I actually do...

One particular lecturer I was talking to was like...'yes yes, you want a first, but you look to me like you're from a working class background, and I can see by how you look that you don't have it in you to get one... if you try and get cocky by producing good work, il just mark it down to the level that reflects your working class upbringing ... don't make me laugh with all that anonymous Turnitin rubbish'

He didn't say this but this is the vibe I'm getting off him through his body language and how he behaves when talking to me...

I think being quiet won't be a problem. I had a class where I only physically attended one out of twelve classes for the term because it was dull and none of my friends were in the class. It was my highest grade, I got the highest first in the class and the lecturer would probably have had no idea who I was because I never spoke to her or turned up.

Also, do you get to discuss your essay plans with your tutors or not? I have always wondered when you have to submit a plan and things like your dissertation where your supervisor marks it, it's not anonymous marking and could be subject to bias and yet at most unis they don't let you challenge a mark which is ******** under those circumstances. I don't think anyone will bother memorising your student number though they are busy people with better things to do, you'd have to have been really annoying or rude for someone to consider doing that I reckon.
Original post by Voi

Definitely paranoia. What's with the 'ethnic and disability' thing? Working class?
It a good theory, but I doubt they would do that to you.
Original post by Voi

Sounds like you have a bit of a persecution complex there.
Idk who's put it in your head that people still think of working class people as being lesser and willing hold them down, but I guarantee that the vast majority of people don't care or don't even know that you're from a working class background.
Just do the best work you can and if you're still not getting a 1st then ask your lecturers what they're looking for to award a 1st. Or alternatively, ask someone who has managed to get a 1st if you can take a look at their work to see what you're missing.
Good luck in hitting those firsts OP!
You're being paranoid...if you think that a lecturer has time or/and patience to memorise student id numbers, you have no idea, they have better things to do. And even if they tried, you still have a second marker and external examiner to ensure that the lecturers are marking fairly, so they would put a stop to it if there was any bias. I'm really sorry for being harsh, but it sounds like you should accept the grades and work towards getting better ones instead of trying to put the blame on someone else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Voi

I think you should go to student services. They can provide couselling for your worries or if your lecturer did in fact say anything like this help you navigate the situation and complain.
I mean, theoretically it would be possible, but I think it's incredibly unlikely. It doesn't sound like you've given them any reason to do so, and very very few people would do something like that for the hell of it. It's also worth noting that they will be teaching so many students that I doubt they'd be able to memorise everyone's names for a fair while, let alone their student numbers.
Original post by Voi

Why would they do that other than because your essay was pants? You are going to seriously struggle in this life if you are convinced the world is against you.

Quick Reply

Latest