am99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Assess the arguments in favour of the greater use of direct democracy in the UK.

I wanted to ask, if anyone knows if you can do two paragraphs on good reasons so two reasons in favour and one reason against direct democracy, as it says assess or does it have to be all in favour.

I know you can evaluate at the end of each paragraph, but can you do one full paragraph saying against, for example

However, one reason against direct democracy is that it has many problems, firstly the issues may be too complex for the average person to understand, for example the British membership of the European single currency, this can result in people not knowing, what they are voting for and later wanting a second referendum for example the Brexit vote in 2016. Furthermore, if there are too many referendums it can cause voter fatigue and lead to turnouts being very low, for example in 1998 there was only a 34% turnout on if London should have an elected mayor or not. Low turnouts and complex issues both make the results of referendums lack legitimacy, therefore there should not be an increase in the use of direct democracy. However this depends on how many referendums are used, as the UK is a representative democracy, referendums are only used, when the government wants to consult the public therefore turnouts are likely to be high not low.

Thanks.
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by am99)
Assess the arguments in favour of the greater use of direct democracy in the UK.

I wanted to ask, if anyone knows if you can do two paragraphs on good reasons so two reasons in favour and one reason against direct democracy, as it says assess or does it have to be all in favour.

I know you can evaluate at the end of each paragraph, but can you do one full paragraph saying against, for example

However, one reason against direct democracy is that it has many problems, firstly the issues may be too complex for the average person to understand, for example the British membership of the European single currency, this can result in people not knowing, what they are voting for and later wanting a second referendum for example the Brexit vote in 2016. Furthermore, if there are too many referendums it can cause voter fatigue and lead to turnouts being very low, for example in 1998 there was only a 34% turnout on if London should have an elected mayor or not. Low turnouts and complex issues both make the results of referendums lack legitimacy, therefore there should not be an increase in the use of direct democracy. However this depends on how many referendums are used, as the UK is a representative democracy, referendums are only used, when the government wants to consult the public therefore turnouts are likely to be high not low.

Thanks.
It's always a good thing to challenge what the question says as this shows detailed knowledge and gains you marks for analysis. If possible, try to contradict your "in favour" points as your analysis briefly at the end of the paragraph, then do an "against" paragraph, but again try to contradict it if possible. My teacher says that it's always best to agree with the question unless you have a very clear and strong argument against it, however it's still good to be questioning of the question (if that makes sense).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (126)
43%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.36%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (117)
39.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.71%

Watched Threads