The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Kent
Ive heard that to even be considered for an offer at oxbridge youll ned at least 270 UMS in all your as levels :eek: . Is this true? Any current Oxbridge medics out there who can remember what ther UMS marks were at as-level?

2005 will be the first year that your UMS points will be used offically. edit: actually, have Oxford or Cambs officially announced this yet? I guess they must have as it's nearly application time, unless they're not going ahead with it.

On the whole, as long as you ace the BMAT, you'll be fine. Not sure what the UMS level required would be if they used it.
Reply 2
Fluffy

On the whole, as long as you ace the BMAT, you'll be fine.

eeaaassyyy
Reply 3
Kent
Ive heard that to even be considered for an offer at oxbridge youll ned at least 270 UMS in all your as levels :eek: . Is this true? Any current Oxbridge medics out there who can remember what ther UMS marks were at as-level?

Hmmm...roughly....

Maths 298/291 depending which modules you count (I took 4, and only 3 count for the AS)
Chemistry 291
Biology 296
German 253.

I think. But they didn't ask for them when I applied.
Reply 4
Kent

oops..that would have been me out! (though i was significantly concerned to massively overcompensate in chemistry! & all my A2 UMS were better, except English Lit, but that was a strategic decision! :tongue: )

Unlike Ms Helenia 'scientific excellence is my middle name' my AS UMS just suggest i should have been an arts person..lol. :wink:

Chem - 269
Bio - 275
Phys - 275
History - 294
English Lit - 297

we did GS all in one go..& in the U6th.

I wasn't asked for any module scores, though referee mentioned the 100% modules in reference.

I suspect the straight As was good enough & it was my rankings in the OMAT that were significant.

HTH
Reply 5
Kent
Ive heard that to even be considered for an offer at oxbridge youll ned at least 270 UMS in all your as levels :eek: .

That would have been me out as well. I think mine were-

Bio- 265/300
Chem- 261/300
German-241/300
His- 286/300
Maths- 277/300
Reply 6
Elles

Unlike Ms Helenia 'scientific excellence is my middle name' my AS UMS just suggest i should have been an arts person..lol. :wink:

Yeah, but look at who's wearing a scholar's gown at the end of her first year? :tongue: (And that's not just because we don't have them :rolleyes: )
Reply 7
Helenia
Hmmm...roughly....

Maths 298/291 depending which modules you count (I took 4, and only 3 count for the AS)
Chemistry 291
Biology 296
German 253.

I think. But they didn't ask for them when I applied.

Your academic exploits depress me :frown:
Reply 8
shiny
Your academic exploits depress me :frown:

Shiny darling, you didn't even do ASs! Besides, I'm a spoon-fed private schoolgirl, what can you expect. I hardly shone this year, did I?
Reply 9
Fluffy
2005 will be the first year that your UMS points will be used offically. edit: actually, have Oxford or Cambs officially announced this yet? I guess they must have as it's nearly application time, unless they're not going ahead with it.

On the whole, as long as you ace the BMAT, you'll be fine. Not sure what the UMS level required would be if they used it.

dont think this is strictly true (bout the bmat that is) - i did the mvat - the old bmat that i had to do to get into vetmed in cam and i really did quite shite - a B (middle 30%) and a C (bottom 50%) and my essay was reeeeally bad. but i still got an offer - 3As out of 4 A levels. and cam were the only people to accept that environmental science (total dossy subject) was an alevel. so in fact my cam offer was lower than all my others (rvc and liverpool). i think cambridge especially decide on whether to offer a place soley on interview. all everyone told us as the beginning of michelmas was that Alevels mean nothing once you start the course! so i really wouldnt worry about the ums thing.
Reply 10
nez_the_vet
dont think this is strictly true (bout the bmat that is) - i did the mvat - the old bmat that i had to do to get into vetmed in cam and i really did quite shite - a B (middle 30%) and a C (bottom 50%) and my essay was reeeeally bad. but i still got an offer - 3As out of 4 A levels. and cam were the only people to accept that environmental science (total dossy subject) was an alevel. so in fact my cam offer was lower than all my others (rvc and liverpool). i think cambridge especially decide on whether to offer a place soley on interview. all everyone told us as the beginning of michelmas was that Alevels mean nothing once you start the course! so i really wouldnt worry about the ums thing.

The whole importance of the BMAT is different to that they used to put on the MVAT. Apparently this is based on an agreement made between Ox, Cambs and UCL (Pricipley between Ox and UCl and Cambs and UCL as there aren't too many peeps who qualify to apply to both Ox and Cambs).

(I took the MVAT in 2003 - got B, B for section 1 and 2 which I was happy with as I've never done physics before. However, not having done physics I needed to get A, A to satisfy the Pre-med requirements grr and damn!)
Reply 11
Thanks, these replies have really helped. Exactly how difficult is the BMAT. Ive downloaded the sample paper from the website and the first two sections dont seem that hard. I'm not sure about the essay titles though: never did RS/E and only got an A in GCSE English lang.
Reply 12
Kent
...and only got an A in GCSE English lang.

Only?!
Reply 13
Kent

Well i got 244 in biology, 276 in maths, 298 in chemistry and
Helenia
Hmmm...roughly....

Chemistry 291
Biology 296
German 253.

:eek:

Helen is a genius (doubt I'd have got that in all subjects even if I did try.. :redface: )!
Reply 16
polthegael
:eek:

Helen is a genius (doubt I'd have got that in all subjects even if I did try.. :redface: )!

I'm not! Not at all. I left that (incorrect) label behind in school.
Reply 17
There is now a sticky in the oxbridge forum which expresses my views::smile:

http://www.uk-learning.net/t61359.html .
Reply 18
polthegael
Watch out Visesh... Your DoS probably likes little boys :wink:

Well...after retakes and a reasonable A2 year i did bring it up to 555. I did well in the olypmpiad too :smile: . My excuse for my AS marks is that until sixth form, I had never been to a lab before, or done any practicals:smile:. My DoS is a cool dude though (well from what I saw at my interview). It lasted a whole 12 minutes :eek: !!

Latest