The Student Room Group

Tory "Dark Ads" discouraging voter registration. Discuss

Made a similar thread about this before based on analogy from Labours campaign but now there's an article that seems to articulate it better:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/27/conservatives-facebook-dark-ads-data-protection-election

Scroll to see replies

They are vile and some of the most dirtiest politicians that have ever gained power in this country. I truly truly hope voters see some sense and vote these cowards out.

They have the biased media with them so they know they can get away with it.
Original post by truthteller010
They are vile and some of the most dirtiest politicians that have ever gained power in this country. I truly truly hope voters see some sense and vote these cowards out.

1. "Most dirtiest"?
2. They have a biased media? Yeah because it's not like you'd think all the Tories want to do is legalise fox hunting if you only looked at headlines

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
1. "Most dirtiest"?
2. They have a biased media? Yeah because it's not like you'd think all the Tories want to do is legalise fox hunting if you only looked at headlines

Posted from TSR Mobile

The media is completely biased against Labour, you've picked out one instance and the fox hunting thing is no longer around anyway.

I mean, all the ads just feature clips of Corbyn and facts about him.
Original post by SingAboutMe
I mean, all the ads just feature clips of Corbyn and facts about him.

Ads targeted at one constituency and it's people to change their votes. That's dirty play.

And dont even claim it's facts. It's propaganda, for example 95% of families wont even be affected by corbyns income tax plans so the ad given is misleading. Dont keep using this "facts" rhetoric when its clear blatant bias.
The media is completely biased against Labour, you've picked out one instance and the fox hunting thing is no longer around anyway.

Yeah you're right, the media have forgotten the fox hunting issue...
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-manifesto-bring-back-fox-hunting-only-one-in-10-voters-support-a7757891.html
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/this-is-the-worst-tory-election-campaign-ever/
www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/why-not-vote-conservative-election-10303180

The media is not skewed in favour of the conservatives, the media seem to be increasingly supporting Labour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ads targeted at one constituency and it's people to change their votes. That's dirty play.

And dont even claim it's facts. It's propaganda, for example 95% of families wont even be affected by corbyns income tax plans so the ad given is misleading. Dont keep using this "facts" rhetoric when its clear blatant bias.

According to the Labour party. It's highly likely they are biased towards themselves.
Original post by RuneFreeze
Made a similar thread about this before based on analogy from Labours campaign but now there's an article that seems to articulate it better:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/27/conservatives-facebook-dark-ads-data-protection-election

You may not like the Tories(I don't either), but they are allowed to pay to advertise on social media.

Absolute bull, the right wing media is biased in favour of the Tories, the left wing is biased in favour of Corbyn. And from my newsfeed the past month, the BBC which would be neutral is very pro-Corbyn unless it's something that can make them a few extra bucks

I'm not even going to bother to argue with someone so misinformed as you. It's already accepted by people that the media is biased, from figures like Tony Robinson to the "corbyn is an extremist" rhetoric.

Your argument is weak, you've pulled up a few articles and now you're saying that because of that, they're all biased. For starters learn to differentiate between thinkpieces and news articles. they're two different things that you're clearly missing.
According to the Labour party. It's highly likely they are biased towards themselves.

Wrong. only 5% earn more than than 100,000 and theyre the ones affected. From their manifesto this is a fact.

Your way of thinking is just wrong, you need education.
Original post by That'sGreat
BBC which would be neutral is very pro-Corbyn

You're an idiot.
Some of you morons need to differentiate between reporting and bias.

Just because the Tories have had a disastrous campaign from the Dementia Tax to Boris Johnson being a hypocrite and the media have pointed that out, doesn't mean it's bias.

A lot more than 5% of families could be effected if many rich people leave the country and the pound drops even further.
A lot more than 5% of families could be effected if many rich people leave the country and the pound drops even further.

That's not as a result of the labour's policies.

"rich people leave the country" god it's like talking to a child.
That's not as a result of the labour's policies.

"rich people leave the country" god it's like talking to a child.

If income tax goes up it's likely many wealthier people would move to countries with lower income tax.
If income tax goes up it's likely many wealthier people would move to countries with lower income tax.

The increase in tax is not significant enough for people to pack up and leave.
The increase in tax is not significant enough for people to pack up and leave.

Hiking up corporation tax by more than third will see a lot of companies steer clear of the UK, and many of them will evacuate.
Hiking up corporation tax by more than third will see a lot of companies steer clear of the UK, and many of them will evacuate.

We still offer lower corp tax that other countries, it'll still be very competitive. So no, you're wrong. Once again, firms arent going to simply move to a completely different market. "A lot" is a very vague term as well.

Your understanding of economics is frankly abysmal and this is a waste of time, you're not on my level in terms of intelligence to put it bluntly. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest