The Student Room Group

Tory attack video goes viral - 1.3 million views and climbing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moura
This really shows you how the tories view the general public: a bunch of stupid ignorant plebs that run off limited and basic emotion... i.e. fear. While there is certainly a fair number of people that do make me despair a bit on that front, it certainly isn't the majority. Let's hope we prove them wrong. The top comments underneath generally critising this video give me a bit of hope, considering it's on the Conservatives own facebook page.

On the other hand, Labourite propaganda is mostly derived from an attempt at emotionally manipulating the electorate. The Tories are racist, selfish, uncaring, have it in for children, the elderly, the poor, the few instead of the many and just about anything else that plays the right chords.

They run down our schools so our children won't be educated, hospitals will be closed down so we can all die in the streets while they gloat in their bloodlust, that's what we get from the Labourite loudspeaker. Pensioners will freeze by being means-tested for fuel allowance, the elderly will be abandoned to die because they just don't care. The Tory scum, that's it.

They may be all that or not, as far as political discourse goes though... it sucks at least as much.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by zhog
On the other hand, Labourite propaganda is mostly derived from an attempt at emotionally manipulating the electorate. The Tories are racist, selfish, uncaring, have it in for children, the elderly, the poor, the few instead of the many and just about anything else that plays the right chords. The Tory scum, that's it.

They may be all that or not, as far as political discourse goes though... it sucks at least as much.

Or you can just read their manifesto and listen to them speak and see that for yourself
Original post by Rakas21
I'm not one to tend to believe that these things have an effect because even the social media outlets themselves have struggled to work out just how to get a message they want across on a platform and we also know that people are at risk of speaking to echo chambers (Twitter notably leans left) however over the last 24 hours a targetted Tory attack against Corbyn (by the folks who masterminded Obama and the 2015 Ed and Salmond poster) has gained over 1.3 million views on Facebook and i have to admit is utterly brilliant.

One has to admit that it's a work of art whether one agrees with the content or not, for your average patriot it's just so damaging.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/conservatives/videos/10155027173824279/[/video]

seems to be having opposite effect than planned here is a damning statement from a former RAF officer on the video

"I'll take him thanks, far less of a risk to National security than the woman who was warned 2 years ago that her swingeing cuts to the Police force was putting our security at risk. Her response? To treat the officers who had the integrity and bravery to tell her like naughty schoolchildren.
She is an empty husk of a politician who lashes out when challenged, and is prone to knee jerk changes of direction when things look like they may not be going her way (see dementia tax). "
Reply 83
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I feel that the best way to success is to provide a positive vision. I still don't think the conservatives are going to lose this election, but it is clear they have learned nothing from Trump or Brexit. The Remain camp offered no positive vision of a future in EU, they did nothing but paint the alternative as something terrifying and unthinkable. Clinton's camp offered no positive vision for a better America, they did nothing but paint the alternative as something terrifying and unthinkable. And now the conservatives are doing exactly the same thing. Their repetitive "strong and stable" crap is a bit on the brighter side, but the subtext is that voting for anyone else will give you a weak, unstable government, so even this is not particularly positive.

I largely agree with the jist of this post. Although i see the logic of the Tory strategy i too am much more into the kind of positive, aspirational campaign as opposed to the dull but possibly efficient campaign.

I felt at the last election for example that Cameron was at his best when let loose to talk about what he himself believes (the kind of liberal Tory stuff) because it was then that he became passionate, i also preferred the honesty of 'we'll have to make tough decisions' and credit to him, i always believed that he really did come into politics to make the country a better place in his mind. In that same vein i would like to see May be less wooden and to talk about her narrative (the vicars daughter should go down very well), why she believes in a One Nation brand of Conservatism than the Thatcherism unleashed that we have seen.

In that same vein on policy i can understand going for a minimal policy campaign, but there should have been some cost neutral sweetners to play on. She could have for example lowered the upper rate to £100k and used that money to raise the basic thresholds.

That said, i still expect the Tories to win comfortably.
Original post by Bornblue
A lot of people on both the right and the left warned that if were to go ahead with the Iraq War that we would destabilise the region, create a power vacuum which would enable terrorist groups to thrive and pave the way for further wars in the future.

They were absolutely correct.

Saddam Hussein ran a genuine fascist state, using weapons of mass destruction against ethnic Kurds and was expansionist through the it's annexation of parts of Kuwait and iran. Never mind the authoritarian and murderous state he ran for his own people. We don't start that that war and America/UK would still be getting bombed and you would still be blaming themselves for it because they didn't intervene
Original post by asdfg323
Saddam Hussein ran a genuine fascist state, using weapons of mass destruction against ethnic Kurds and was expansionist through the it's annexation of parts of Kuwait and iran. Never mind the authoritarian and murderous state he ran for his own people. We don't start that that war and America/UK would still be getting bombed and you would still be blaming themselves for it because they didn't intervene

When did Sadam bomb us?
Childish tactical games

Old tories
Same tactics
Original post by STEMasterRace
Both Iraq and Syria were peaceful and safe for westerners before the war.

The war was badly planned as Bush and Blair thought they were the modern day Roosevelt's and Churchill's and while they did defeat Saddam's army in a swift manner what they did not do was install a stable government, making the country, and to a greater extent, the entire regional breeding ground. For terrorist ideologies.

Iraq and Syria were peaceful that's true. They were peaceful because they were run by tyrannical dictators to whom human rights were fiction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Interestingly enough the video is now at 2.4 million views, splendid penetration.

Many people who've watched it will be Labour voters who were not going to vote Tory and still aren't. Many people watching it will be Tory voters who are still voting Tory. Many people will probably be people who cannot vote in this election.

There was an anti-Tory NHS advert which was nearing 10 Million views.
Reply 90
Many people who've watched it will be Labour voters who were not going to vote Tory and still aren't. Many people watching it will be Tory voters who are still voting Tory. Many people will probably be people who cannot vote in this election.

There was an anti-Tory NHS advert which was nearing 10 Million views.

Of course. You can see in this thread that the people calling it desperate were all voting Labour anyway and the people that like it were all voting Tory. The game is how the intelligence stuff plays with the undecided's (i suspect the foreign stuff is already priced in).

Can't say i ever saw that one. Was it an actual Labour one?
Reply 91
Original post by Underscore__
Iraq and Syria were peaceful that's true. They were peaceful because they were run by tyrannical dictators to whom human rights were fiction

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given that the Arab Spring started in Tunisia before spreading it's arguable that it would have still occurred. One wonders how many chemical weapons Assad would use if the west left him to it and equally how many people Saddam would slaughter had a rebellion started.
Original post by Rakas21
That's quite a utilitarian perspective that fails to take into account a key point in psychology. There is a difference between maximum utility and satisfactory utility.

The Tories have missed their deficit targets... but they have reduced it at a level most people have deemed broadly satisfactory. Same with immigration, they have missed targets but people are broadly satisfied that the Tories are the ones to trust here.

If it's any conciliation i believe it's an advantage all incumbents have (if you have a 7 year record of at least trying to do something then people will trust that your not going to go on a spending spree even without figures). What Labour must do is make people trust them, if they don't do that then it does not matter what ideas they have.

You told me you would have problems voting for policies you liked if you didn't think they could be delivered. Seems you have no such qualms when they are Tory policies. Maybe Labour couldn't deliver all of their promises to their desired completion, but they would go a long way in the right direction.

What's the difference?
Original post by Rakas21
Of course. You can see in this thread that the people calling it desperate were all voting Labour anyway and the people that like it were all voting Tory. The game is how the intelligence stuff plays with the undecided's (i suspect the foreign stuff is already priced in).

Can't say i ever saw that one. Was it an actual Labour one?

No it wasn't an official Labour one. Was a group of independent doctors.

This is a fascinating election for polling by the way. Really depends on whether the young and previous non-voters turn out. Comres and ICM think not, the other pollsters think so.
Reply 94

This is a fascinating election for polling by the way. Really depends on whether the young and previous non-voters turn out. Comres and ICM think not, the other pollsters think so.

Interestingly enough those pollsters showing 6-7% leads apparently require a turnout of ~85% to be correct because the votes are being drawn from DK/non-2015 voters.

ICM may be a bit harsh but i suspect that if the EU referendum could only provoke a 72% turnout then we can probably rule out anything above 75%.

Depends who can generate more enthusiasm, the robotic May or the populist Corbyn. I would still be putting my money on the Tories even in the event of high turnout, simply because of how many seats Labour need to flip in England with Scotland out of the picture. Best case scenario for them is to force a minority government.

One definite upshot of this election however will be the probable swing of some Scottish seats from SNP to Tory, which will put a real dent in the plans for indyref2. Out of all the parties, the SNP have the most to lose.
All the Tories have to do to win the GE is say "Brexit means Brexit. Vote for us for a hard Brexit".

Theresa May is shooting herself in the foot.
Original post by Hugh_Jass
All the Tories have to do to win the GE is say "Brexit means Brexit. Vote for us for a hard Brexit".

Theresa May is shooting herself in the foot.

She has done half that by promising a hard shafting, seems to be working still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like how the labour-conservative gap keeps apparently shrinking in an election May called to increase her majority.

She tried, bless her.
Reply 99
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I like how the labour-conservative gap keeps apparently shrinking in an election May called to increase her majority.

She tried, bless her.

She's still highly likely to increase her majority. The Tory vote is ~45%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending