The Student Room Group

Maths + Economics / Maths + Philosophy - Career Prospects

Guys, I study Maths, Physics and Geography at AS Level, plan to take A Level or at least an AS Level in Further Maths.
I want to study a degree relating to maths, it is one of the only things that really interests me. I've heard about Maths and Philosophy degrees, and I feel I am strong at writing essays and coupled with my interest in Philosophy, I feel it would be the best degree for me. However, I feel because you only really learn applied maths here, after such a degree, I'd only either be a teacher or unemployed putting it simply. Is this true? I could do maths and economics to boost my chances of the top jobs relating to maths etc. but I really dont think I enjoy economics. Honestly, are there good career prospects for Maths and Philosophy students or is it really just further study/being a teacher, instead of equipping me with skills that can get me in to any job which is what i'd like. Thanks
Original post by faisaluahmed
Guys, I study Maths, Physics and Geography at AS Level, plan to take A Level or at least an AS Level in Further Maths.
I want to study a degree relating to maths, it is one of the only things that really interests me. I've heard about Maths and Philosophy degrees, and I feel I am strong at writing essays and coupled with my interest in Philosophy, I feel it would be the best degree for me. However, I feel because you only really learn applied maths here, after such a degree, I'd only either be a teacher or unemployed putting it simply. Is this true? I could do maths and economics to boost my chances of the top jobs relating to maths etc. but I really dont think I enjoy economics. Honestly, are there good career prospects for Maths and Philosophy students or is it really just further study/being a teacher, instead of equipping me with skills that can get me in to any job which is what i'd like. Thanks

One of my friends who does Maths and Philosophy is going to work at Blackrock, the worlds largest Asset Manager so that is pretty good haha. I would take A level Further Maths then go on to study Maths and Philosophy if that is what you like, any Maths degree will help you immensely and it really does not matter whether it is a joint degree or not. Mathematics is definitely one of the most sought after qualifications in graduates so you really wont have any issues there!

Quick Reply

Latest