Is my degree adequate for postgrad clinical psych. and which modules do you suggest?

Watch this thread
poisonapplepie
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Quoting from the Prospects website:

In order to use the protected title clinical psychologist, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which involves completing three years of postgraduate training leading to a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, or equivalent, approved by the HCPC.

My first question is whether my degree from the Open University is likely to allow me to gain admission to a PhD in Clinical Psychology.

My second question is a more or a recommendation on which modules I should take if I were to wish to purpose a career in Clinical Psychology.

Year 1

Choose one from:
  • Introducing the social sciences
  • Introduction to childhood studies and child psychology

Year 2

Choose 60 credits from (credits in brackets)
  • Counselling: exploring fear and sadness (30)
  • Living psychology: from the everyday to the extraordinary (60)
  • Psychology of childhood and youth (60)
  • Sport and exercise psychology: a case study approach (30)
  • The science of the mind: investigating mental health (30)

Year 3

Choose one from:
  • Exploring psychological aspects of athletic development
  • Issues in research with children and young people
  • Advancing social psychology
  • Counselling and forensic psychology: investigating crime and therapy

The course is from the Open University.

Thank you.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by poisonapplepie)
Quoting from the Prospects website:

In order to use the protected title clinical psychologist, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which involves completing three years of postgraduate training leading to a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, or equivalent, approved by the HCPC.

My first question is whether my degree from the Open University is likely to allow me to gain admission to a PhD in Clinical Psychology.
If you read the next paragraph on the Prospects website, it answers your question:

In order to get a place on a Doctorate course, you will need Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC), which is achieved by completing a psychology degree or conversion course accredited by The British Psychological Society (BPS). For a full list of GBC qualifying courses see the BPS Accredited Psychology Courses. Most Doctorate course providers are looking for a first class honours degree or a good 2:1, although some may accept a 2:2 if you have a relevant Masters degree or above.
So if the OU degree is accredited by the BPS, then yes. If it isn't, then no it won't permit you admission to the PhD. Check the OU course spec and if that is unclear, contact the OU and ask.

As long as you do a BPS accredited degree, the actual content will be less significant. If you have optional modules, choose those which reflect your interests and the field(s) in which you would most like to eventually work.

You should also be mindful of the following requirement, again set out on the Prospects webpage:

Work experience
A minimum of six to 12 months of relevant clinical work experience is essential in order to secure a place on a Doctorate course. Most course providers have specific requirements on the amount of experience they require or give advice on how to go about gaining the necessary experience.
Make sure that the degree you choose, also has a focus on gaining this vital experience.
poisonapplepie
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
OK thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (7)
14.58%
Quite well (22)
45.83%
Not so good (12)
25%
Terrible! (7)
14.58%

Watched Threads