What can somebody do with a pic of your registration?

Watch
rsd0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So today I was being tailgated by an idiot who can't drive. First of all, I was turning into a road where the lights several yards in front of me were turning red so I had stopped to allow people to cross slightly before the lights, the man leaned on his horn at me. Next, driving down a road and a kid went to cross at a zebra crossing but changed his mind so I had slowed down, again he leaned on the horn. Afterwards, we were driving down a road where I was doing 20mph as that was the speed limit and I have a black box. We stopped at traffic lights and I could see him in my mirror doing hand gestures and then decided to take a picture of my number plate! What can somebody actually do with this? First of all, I did nothing at all wrong. I passed my test last month so of course I'm more cautious. But of course somebody having my number plate is a little unsettling. I also remembered his number plate and wrote it down, I then searched it online and turns out he has an expired MOT. Is there anything else I should do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He can't do a thing with your number plate, fear not.

There's all sorts of morons on the road who think intimidating other drivers is perfectly acceptable - just wait till they rear end someone and have to face the insurance premium increases!

In terms of the expired MOT, other than perhaps reporting it on the non emergency number, there's not much you can do. The Police don't have the resources to investigate your report, but it will help them to build a case. I'd imagine an ANPR camera will get him caught soon enough though!
rsd0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)

There's all sorts of morons on the road who think intimidating other drivers is perfectly acceptable - just wait till they rear end someone and have to face the insurance premium increases!

In terms of the expired MOT, other than perhaps reporting it on the non emergency number, there's not much you can do. The Police don't have the resources to investigate your report, but it will help them to build a case. I'd imagine an ANPR camera will get him caught soon enough though!
Thanks for your reply! I agree, I've came across too many morons in such a short space of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
virgil1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends. If he can bung a copper a few quid he could get the registered address and pay you a visit.

There are other ways to get access to the DVLA's database, I think some private parking enforcement companies have access and you can actually request it yourself.
https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

However it's likely they were just wound up and wanted to take the photo to report to the police or moan online and may well have thought better.

I'd suggest you (or anyone) invest in a dash cam, basic models aren't expensive and they're a good protection.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)

I agree
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by virgil1)
It depends. If he can bung a copper a few quid he could get the registered address and pay you a visit.

There are other ways to get access to the DVLA's database, I think some private parking enforcement companies have access and you can actually request it yourself.
https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

However it's likely they were just wound up and wanted to take the photo to report to the police or moan online and may well have thought better.

I'd suggest you (or anyone) invest in a dash cam, basic models aren't expensive and they're a good protection.
A member of the public cannot just get details of a vehicle from the DVLA without reasonable cause, and they are VERY strict on what they class as reasonable due to Data Protection.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (104)
13.33%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.9%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
48.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed