Is F2 easier than F3 in Edexcel IAL, or is it the other way round?

Watch
Franklin123
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am going to take either F2 or F3, and I have been wondering which unit would be more suitable. I have no knowledge of both units and I would liketo know your opinion on each one.
python03
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Further Pure 2:
- differential equations
- inequalities
- method of differences
- polar equations
- de Moivre thm

Further Pure 3:
- vectors
- matrices
- hyperbolic trig (sinh/cosh/tanh)
- reductive formulae (not sure about the name)
- ellipses, hyperbolas, parabolas and shapes like that

I'm taking both and my opinion is that both similarly difficult (despite the common belief that FP3 is harder)
Justification:
they both cover a wide wide range of topics
these topics are difficult in their own way - FP2 and FP3 syllabus does not overlap

Verdict:
if you want to deal with matrices/vectors, go for FP3
if you want to deal with differential equations/complex numbers, go for FP2
Franklin123
Rep:
(Original post by leekn)
Further Pure 2:
- differential equations
- inequalities
- method of differences
- polar equations
- de Moivre thm

Further Pure 3:
- vectors
- matrices
- hyperbolic trig (sinh/cosh/tanh)
- reductive formulae (not sure about the name)
- ellipses, hyperbolas, parabolas and shapes like that

I'm taking both and my opinion is that both similarly difficult (despite the common belief that FP3 is harder)
Justification:
they both cover a wide wide range of topics
these topics are difficult in their own way - FP2 and FP3 syllabus does not overlap

Verdict:
if you want to deal with matrices/vectors, go for FP3
if you want to deal with differential equations/complex numbers, go for FP2
Thanks a lot. I wonder which will be more suited for me; I am going to attend engineering in university btw.
python03
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Franklin123)
Thanks a lot. I wonder which will be more suited for me; I am going to attend engineering in university btw.
Engineering... maybe both????? But realistically, vectors/matrices seem to be more common in engineering (I wouldn't know tho) like if you're taking Mechanics too then FP3 seems to be a bit more relevant?
Franklin123
Rep:
(Original post by leekn)
Engineering... maybe both????? But realistically, vectors/matrices seem to be more common in engineering (I wouldn't know tho) like if you're taking Mechanics too then FP3 seems to be a bit more relevant?
Thanks. It seems FP3 would be a better choice; me taking Mechanics units and all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (65)
22.81%
Note taking apps (6)
2.11%
Flashcards (55)
19.3%
Revision guides (16)
5.61%
Past papers (132)
46.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (11)
3.86%

Watched Threads