Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guessing this might have been asked before, but would you be for or against the introduction of an A* grade at A Level for students that obtain marks of over 90%. What would your grades have been this year if this had been implemented previously?

ReputationRep:
    It would be good at distinguishing between the good and excellent...but once you get to the point of being able to acheive that A, it wouldnt take much more work to get the A*...and some people have a bit of luck, so its easier for them. I dont think grades are everything though, so im against it. I think there should be other factors to distinguish between the more able pupils...the dissertation idea is much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    the dissertation idea is much better.
    What's to say that they didn't plagiarise it from the Internet, pay a professional service to do it for them, or get a bit of help from Daddy or their tutor?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It seems a little pointless to devalue every previous years grades for a very short term bonus. 14-19 education is going to be replaced in the next 5-10 years with a much more baccelaureate type system (http://www.14-19reform.gov.uk ) so why go to all the trouble to tweak the curriculum 2000 system further when it's due to be replaced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Guessing this might have been asked before, but would you be for or against the introduction of an A* grade at A Level for students that obtain marks of over 90%. What would your grades have been this year if this had been implemented previously?
    I don't think it's really worthwhile or necessary; the suggestion of access to UMS marks would tell a university more about an applicant's achievement than just adding another top grade to an already heavily criticised exam.

Having said that, if this were in place I'd just have got 3 A*s at A2, so maybe I should have voted for

ReputationRep:
    Having A*'s at A-Levels just does the same at GCSE, makes it harder for those who haven't gone to top schools to achieve the top grades. Not good.

ReputationRep:
    It would have a short term effect but how long until the media deem too many people are getting A*s at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    What's to say that they didn't plagiarise it from the Internet, pay a professional service to do it for them, or get a bit of help from Daddy or their tutor?
    well i think a teacher would be able to verify that... i know many girls from english who were found out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Definately in favour. I cant think of any selfless reason why anyone would be against this.

ReputationRep:
    Having an A* will be a tempory fix but soon the students and teachers will learn how to gain the top grades and more exam techinque will come into it, and the percentage of A* grades will increase gradually.
    Idealy we want a total reform that will bring back more value to the A Levels. The government are planning to do this but i'm not totally convinced with their plan, but that's slightly irrelevant!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Having A*'s at A-Levels just does the same at GCSE, makes it harder for those who haven't gone to top schools to achieve the top grades. Not good.
    Anyone who's good enough can get an A* regardless of what school they went to by just working independently. These days you have more and more people getting 9, 10, 11A*s at GCSE... if A*s didn't exist loads of people would have no motivation to bother working, as they'd find A grades easily accessible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It would have a short term effect but how long until the media deem too many people are getting A*s at A-level?
    You don't really see complaints that too many people are getting A*s at GCSE, as it's reserved for the top 6% or so of grades.

ReputationRep:
    well i think a teacher would be able to verify that... i know many girls from english who were found out!
    How's a teacher going to know if they got a bit of help at home from their parents? And I'm sure loads of teachers would cheat themselves if it's going to help to get their students into a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    The international baccalaurette is a very rigorous system. If youre not willing to work hard and if you are not an ‘all-rounder’ then youre not going to do well. I was going to do as it really appealed to me, but the work load is off putting…I need a life! I think the Alevel system is fine…its not fair to torture people. But I guess it’s a good way to ‘stretch’ the momentum, and really test them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    How's a teacher going to know if they got a bit of help at home from their parents? And I'm sure loads of teachers would cheat themselves if it's going to help to get their students into a top uni.
    well youre not going to get into a good univeristy with **** grades and an amazing dissertation...

ReputationRep:
    I think we could have + and -, this might help admissions know if a candidate is so close off their offer. Must be annoying to be denied an A on the basis of 1 or 2 marks out of 600.

ReputationRep:
    well youre not going to get into a good univeristy with **** grades and an amazing dissertation...
    Yes but someone with good grades and an amazing dissertation (thanks to plagiarism / paying an essay-writing service / external tutor / parental help / teacher) would beat someone with good grades with a good dissertation they wrote themselves without cheating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yes but someone with good grades and an amazing dissertation (thanks to plagiarism / paying an essay-writing service / external tutor / parental help / teacher) would beat someone with good grades with a good dissertation they wrote themselves without cheating.
    well tough ****...isnt that the same with your PS? and its only natural to get help from a teacher...they all help to an extent.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jools)
    Nothing - although that sort of misbehaivior is just as likely to happen under the present system for coursework.

It wouldn't be feasable for admissions tutors to question an applicant about every peice of coursework they'd submitted for all 3+ A levels - it would be feasable for them to quiz an applicant on their dissertation.

It's very easy to pick up plagiarism in a viva type situation.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time. In this whole reform debate, the government is completely ignoring actually educating people, in favour of a whole bunch of pointless targets and reforms.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.