The Student Room Group

HCA job or Pharmacy job for medicine experience?

Should I stick with the HCA job I've done for two year's which I'm now tired of or go for this pharmacy dispensing job I've been offered? Will both give me good experience for medicine?
Original post by NatsP29
Should I stick with the HCA job I've done for two year's which I'm now tired of or go for this pharmacy dispensing job I've been offered? Will both give me good experience for medicine?

I m not in medicine but I work in pharmacy and generally dispensing would give you customer experience and basic knowledge on medicines but a hca job would be more applicable i would think.
Reply 2
For medicine, stick with the HCA job.
Original post by NatsP29

Don't take this the wrong way but after working as a HCA for 2 years you are tired, how do you know you won't get tired of Medicine after 2 years?
Reply 4
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Don't take this the wrong way but after working as a HCA for 2 years you are tired, how do you know you won't get tired of Medicine after 2 years?

I meant physically tired with the HCA job. We're the ones that do the manual handling, personal care, observations etc for 13 hrs a day. Medicine would be quite different. I'm actually interested in the medical side rather than nursing side.
Reply 5
Original post by NatsP29
I meant physically tired with the HCA job. We're the ones that do the manual handling, personal care, observations etc for 13 hrs a day. Medicine would be quite different. I'm actually interested in the medical side rather than nursing side.

Being a HCA is really strenuous, I agree with you. I would go with the pharmacy job, it gives you a change of scene and experience in a different side of medicine. In terms of the value in applying for medicine, you've already had long-term commitment in your HCA job and plenty of experience there that a lot of people applying won't have.
Reply 6
Hey :-) I think you've got more than enough experience with two years of the HCA job and the pharmacy job you've been offered would be useful in giving you a different perspective on healthcare and bolstering the work experience section of your personal statement when you apply.

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Reply 7
Original post by 6med
Hey :-) I think you've got more than enough experience with two years of the HCA job and the pharmacy job you've been offered would be useful in giving you a different perspective on healthcare and bolstering the work experience section of your personal statement when you apply.

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Cheers Alex! Exactly my thoughts too!! I'd still bank a few hours but would be more focused on the pharmacy and volunteering I greatly need!
Original post by NatsP29

I've done both jobs and HCA is the better option. Dispensing is really the most boring thing ever unless you're in a hospital and can do med recs and all of that. It's not as physically demanding as HCA though but likewise, not as rewarding either.
HCA all the way, more observational experience.
Reply 10
I just don't really think I can get anymore out of it than I already have. I've observed Doctor's rounds, helped to manage a deteriorating pt, met calls etc, I don't see the point of really staying if I'm not getting anything else out of it. It's become a bit samey and is just so draining. I'm fairly unhappy there atm and want a bit of a break tbh. I still have 6 years of a med degree and 2 years of qualifying, and to be physically exhausted at this point terrifies me.
Have you thought about changing wards or maybe being a HCA at a GP? This can give you additional responsibilities and a more varied pool of patients to care for. 6 months ago I moved from my boring vascular ward to an admissions unit that works closely with A&E and we get a large variety of both surgical and medical patients. I can also do venepuncture and ECGs now as well which gives me additional responsibility, and skills that will be useful in a future medical career.

The variety of patients is great, I often have something to look into after work that I've not seen before or don't know much about. The doctors (medics at least) are great at explaining things and answering any questions I have as well.

I really don't see how working in pharmacy will give you any additional benefits compared to being a HCA. Aside from the financial I suppose! I'd seriously consider finding a more interesting and varied ward before leaving the HCA work for good! :smile:
Reply 12
Well, I've wanted to do venepuncture for a while but my managers haven't been able to book me on. I've been wanting to leave for a while as it's gotten a bit samey. I'd like to go into A&E as that'd seem more exciting and hopefully i'd be fast-tracked onto venepuncture. I think I've just outlived my purpose. ward work is a bit strenuous at times and I really dislike being screamed at when a bed isn't made etc... Pharmacy experience would beneift me as They'd pay me for MCA qualification, and you'd have responsibility in taking in prescriptions, sorting the correct medicines into the sorting machine and hopefully go on to my dispensing qualification where i'd put together prescriptions before having them checked.
Reply 13
Original post by NatsP29
Well, I've wanted to do venepuncture for a while but my managers haven't been able to book me on. I've been wanting to leave for a while as it's gotten a bit samey. I'd like to go into A&E as that'd seem more exciting and hopefully i'd be fast-tracked onto venepuncture. I think I've just outlived my purpose. ward work is a bit strenuous at times and I really dislike being screamed at when a bed isn't made etc... Pharmacy experience would beneift me as They'd pay me for MCA qualification, and you'd have responsibility in taking in prescriptions, sorting the correct medicines into the sorting machine and hopefully go on to my dispensing qualification where i'd put together prescriptions before having them checked.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter how many procedures you get to do as a HCA like venepuncture, because you will get the opportunity to learn it on the course. It's a nice bonus for you if you enjoy it, and for your ward if you can do them, but I can't see how it would help your application.

Really, what you want is to be able to demonstrate that you have given your time to care for patients, and therefore that you can see that it's the right field for you. It's not about how many procedures you've done. The value to you will be in being able to articulate (in interview, in personal statement etc) how it has made you better suited to a caring role, leadership, better understanding the different roles in an NHS ward, etc etc. Not how to be a doctor - you will learn that at med school.

Pharmacy experience would probably not be as relevant as clinical experience, but I can see how it could help just in terms of having a change of scenery and a mix of experience of the world outside of school on your application/to talk about in interview (I worked in Primark for 2 years, and my experiences were beneficial). But again, I don't think it would be relevant in a medical context. You won't be making any medical decisions, and it won't help your application to learn about the commonest drugs because you'll spend 5 years doing that.

edit: one thing I would also recommend is to ask junior doctors and medical students questions. Asking them what they like about their job, what they don't, things they wish they knew at your stage, what they think about the current state of the NHS etc. You can show that you've taken the initiative to ask doctors to gain more information of the profession! You could speak to nurses, and ask them what they think makes a good doctor. That could also be useful to you.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending