The Student Room Group

Family don't let me revise at home

I'm in year 13 doing my alevels and whenever I'm at home my family just don't let me revise. I know how important this year is for me and that I need to get as much revision done as possible but my siblings are Older than me and they just sit listening to music out loud and watching stuff out loud my dad always makes unnecessary noise and my siblings are always being selfish saying stuff like they didn't complain when they did their a levels. I just feel so out of everything I'm suffering from depression also, and I just can't talk to them about it either cos they're all not understanding.
My mums always favouring my oldest siblings and never see the wrong in them but when I do the slightest thing she complains and starts arguing.
It's called headphones and your own really loud music :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in year 13 doing my alevels and whenever I'm at home my family just don't let me revise. I know how important this year is for me and that I need to get as much revision done as possible but my siblings are Older than me and they just sit listening to music out loud and watching stuff out loud my dad always makes unnecessary noise and my siblings are always being selfish saying stuff like they didn't complain when they did their a levels. I just feel so out of everything I'm suffering from depression also, and I just can't talk to them about it either cos they're all not understanding.
My mums always favouring my oldest siblings and never see the wrong in them but when I do the slightest thing she complains and starts arguing.

Are there any libraries or quiet cafes nearby? Is there anyone else in your life who you trust to speak to about your mental health?
Stay at your school/sixth form library after school if you can.

I actually have the same problem; I just have to use headphones, as I am not comfortable in libraries.

I understand that this must be a hard time for you, especially because of your depression which I can fully sympathise with, recovering myself. If it really is impossible for you to revise, it may be a good idea to spend evenings at college/sixth form so that you can get work done there, and maybe go to a local library during your study leave to make sure you're getting peace and quiet. If, however, you do have to stay at home, it may be helpful to spend time in your room with headphones on (even without music playing) just to block out as much noise as possible. This is a very important time for you and it sounds as if you are being treated unfairly. Remember that you should stand your ground and help your family to understand where you're coming from, letting them know the consequences of a lack of revision.
Reply 6
Headphones are good, but if you are like me and can't study unless you are in silence. Get some noise cancelling headphones. Do wonders
Just revise in the local library. There's no point even trying to revise at home with those distractions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending