Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a levels:mickey mouse A grades vs proper subject B grades watch

ReputationRep:
    which is better? lots of people in my school got AAA with eg Drama IT and Art. others got BBB with math phys and chem. which is better?

ReputationRep:
    BBB, although personally I don't consider IT as mickey mouse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    which is better? lots of people in my school got AAA with eg Drama IT and Art. others got BBB with math phys and chem. which is better?
    i wouldn't consider Art as mickey mouse, considering what i have seen and heard from people who take Art at A level.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you want to be an artist then AAA, if you want to be an engineer then BBB.

I'm pretty confident I could do well in most "academic" subjects at A level if I were to go back and resit them today. I doubt the same could be said for drama, art or music were natural aptitude for the subject is more important than any knowledge/skills/understanding that can be taught.

In fact the GCSE grade I'm most proud of is my C for Art. It was the subject I most enjoyed and the one I put the most work into regardless of the limitations of my natural abilities in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Art isn't mickey mouse, the people I know doing art have to work damn hard even to get C's!

ReputationRep:
    Drama requires completely different skills than Physics, so a comparison cannot be easily made. However, i would say it is generally easier to gain an A grade in the former than the latter, hence i would admire the Physics grade B more.

ReputationRep:
    For me, A's in Drama or Art would be a much bigger achievement than B's in sciences or other 'traditional' subjects as I have a natural ability for the latter, whereas I'm hopeless at Art.

ReputationRep:
    For what though?

ReputationRep:
    while those adept at Drama would naturally find an A-level easy, and those with a talent for physics would have no problems with the technicalities of the course, the workload for Physics A-level is far beyond that of Drama. In this example I would favour the Physics grades.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vienna95)
    the workload for Physics A-level is far beyond that of Drama.
    And you're basing that assumption on...?...

Experience of both courses?
    Detailed study of the two syllibi?
    Unfounded prejudice?

ReputationRep:
    the workload for Physics A-level is far beyond that of Drama.
    I disagree, although I haven't done drama. I very rarely turned up for Physics lessons last year and I'd say the only time the work load was high is when we needed to hand coursework in. Which was once in the A2 year if i remember correctly. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to add that the content of the sylabi being easier does not make it easier to gain a certain grade in a subject.
    The exam boards take into consideration the ability of the pupils then setting grade boundaries, it is for this reason that in a subject such as drama you would be expected to show a highter standard of knowledge in the field than say, chemistry. This is because the information is not as challenging to understand, therefore they expect a student to have a better grasp of it.
    It also has to be taken into consideration that the majority of people doing drama A level will be talented and have a real passion for it, creative subjects mostly attract people who do have a real interest, therefore meaning that with the extra effort many people will gain a high grade.
    One could assume that the person who took maths A level must be very able to start the course but I believe that we have to be careful when saying so explicitly that in all cases an A grade in a traditional subject is above that on a non-traditional or creative subject.

ReputationRep:
    Neither is better. All A-levels are Mickey Mouse exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Neither is better. All A-levels are Mickey Mouse exams.
    Says the man who took his about 5 years ago!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Drama, IT or Art can be classed as 'mickey mouse' subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kez-man)
    I disagree, although I haven't done drama. I very rarely turned up for Physics lessons last year and I'd say the only time the work load was high is when we needed to hand coursework in. Which was once in the A2 year if i remember correctly. :rolleyes:
    and what did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And you're basing that assumption on...?...

Experience of both courses?
    Detailed study of the two syllibi?
    Unfounded prejudice?
    What I know.

ReputationRep:
    while those adept at Drama would naturally find an A-level easy, and those with a talent for physics would have no problems with the technicalities of the course, the workload for Physics A-level is far beyond that of Drama. In this example I would favour the Physics grades.
    At least at my school, the workload for drama (as in actual hours spent on the subject) was FAR greater than that for physics, as it seemed to be for most subjects that involved writing essays as opposed to working from a textbook. Of course this says nothing about the difficulty of either subject.

I don't think any of the subjects first mentioned were "Mickey Mouse", especially not art. I think maybe travel and tourism or media studies could be, I wouldn't rate those particularly highly. Music is certainly not an easy option. A friend of a friend at my school gained 2 Ds, an E and an A in his ASs last year - the Ds and E in maths, physics and chemistry and the A for travel and tourism! I would definitely rate the Bs higher in the first example.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    and what did you get?
    I got a B in physics with 3 hours of lessons, 1 hour practical and 1 hour homework a week over 2 years. I wouldn't say I was naturally talented at physics (but moreso than I am at Art/Drama). In my case we didn't even have a coursework component - just a practical exam (which was what that 1 hour a week of practicals was in preparation for).

ReputationRep:
    What I know.
    So what exactly do you know which leads you to believe that there is a higher workload for physics than drama?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.