Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a levels:mickey mouse A grades vs proper subject B grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    What I know.
    I got an A in Economics without even going to any classes, does that mean it's a micky mouse subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Says the man who took his about 5 years ago!!!
    Last year, actually...

A while back when they were one terminal exam, they were the pride of Europe and the hardest exam you ever took (not like pussy uni exams..).

Now you can retake modules, reject grades, etc... All very Mickey Mouse to me. I took all modules once and all my maths papers at once but my straight A's are worth no more than some fool who takes every exam ten times and rejects a few B grades along the way. It's stupid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    I got an A in Economics without even going to any classes, does that mean it's a micky mouse subject?
    Yes and no... They are all Mickey Mouse exams, but not Mickey Mouse subjects.

That honour should be reserved for art et al...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Yes and no... They are all Mickey Mouse exams, but not Mickey Mouse subjects.

That honour should be reserved for art et al...
    What's your reasoning for labelling "art et al" micky mouse subjects, and how would you define a micky mouse subject?

Last year, actually...

A while back when they were one terminal exam, they were the pride of Europe and the hardest exam you ever took (not like pussy uni exams..).

Now you can retake modules, reject grades, etc... All very Mickey Mouse to me. I took all modules once and all my maths papers at once but my straight A's are worth no more than some fool who takes every exam ten times and rejects a few B grades along the way. It's stupid...
    You take your example to the extreme, most people will only resit a minority of their modules and even fewer will resit any module more than once. You're saying that it somehow makes the A-Level better if only measures one day's performance, as opposed to a person's real ability. You're valuing exam method above knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Last year, actually...

i'm sure people who took the exams in the 1960s feel exactly the same about the 'terminal exams'. funny that.

ReputationRep:
    i couldnt tell you based on that information. at A-level, its certainly not one of the more celebrated subjects in terms of reputation.

ReputationRep:
    i couldnt tell you based on that information. at A-level, its certainly not one of the more celebrated subjects in terms of reputation.
    You've already asserted that you can label an A-Level according to it's workload. I'm making the claim that the idea of assigning an A-Level a generalised workload is erroneous. I think that the workload is subjective to the student, depending on the student's knowledge and abilities.

I've given as an example to this the fact that I taught myself the Economics A-Level with very little difficulty, and in one academic year. The workload isn't an absolute, and I fail to understand how you can seriously label subjects according to some delusions you have about them.

ReputationRep:
    reputation and difficulty are not directly correlated.

ReputationRep:
    But I don't feel this should be a burden upon students having to take A levels in this manner, blame QCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    reputation and difficulty are not directly correlated.
    of which im aware, hence the distinction in my post.

ReputationRep:
    You've already asserted that you can label an A-Level according to it's workload. I'm making the claim that the idea of assigning an A-Level a generalised workload is erroneous. I think that the workload is subjective to the student, depending on the student's knowledge and abilities.
    something which i took into consideration when actually asserting that from my knowledge, Drama required comparably less work in terms of meeting the required standards at A-level.

I've given as an example to this the fact that I taught myself the Economics A-Level with very little difficulty, and in one academic year. The workload isn't an absolute,
    no, but we can enjoy the liberty to discuss hypothetically.

some delusions you have about them.
    care to expand on that?

ReputationRep:
    of which im aware, hence the distinction in my post.
    [subjective]so which subjects do you feel have a good reputation but are not 'difficult'?[/subjective]

ReputationRep:
    [subjective]so which subjects do you feel have a good reputation but are not 'difficult'?[/subjective]
    not difficult for me?

ReputationRep:
    Those are impressive embellishments, for a recuperating frontal lobotomy patient.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure people who took the exams in the 1960s feel exactly the same about the 'terminal exams'. funny that.
    I wasn't born till a long, long time after the sixties, mon ami..!

I see your point though... Exams did used to be harder and the modern day standard of exams is insulting to our parents (mine would just about have got to do A-levels in the sixties (69) if civil unrest didn't make survival a more important pass-time than academic studying...

ReputationRep:
    not difficult for me?
    exactly, that's why most people only submit a rough idea of 'difficulty' through a perceived correlation between reputation and the former.

it's a bit of a non-starter as far as debates go. *would not dream of going near an Art A-Level*

(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Those are impressive embellishments, for a recuperating frontal lobotomy patient.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    exactly, that's why most people only submit a rough idea of 'difficulty' through a perceived correlation between reputation and the former.
    reputation and difficulty are indirectly correlated. based on an equivalent ability at either subject, from my knowledge and from what we can deduce from the associated reputation of said subject, I believe Physics merits a greater accomplishment.

ReputationRep:
    reputation and difficulty are indirectly correlated. based on an equivalent ability at either subject, from my knowledge and from what we can deduce from the associated reputation of said subject, I believe Physics merits a greater accomplishment.
    define difficulty. from who's point of view? how can we measure an 'average difficulty' without going back to mathematical ability/I.Q.

ReputationRep:
    define difficulty. from who's point of view? how can we measure an 'average difficulty' without going back to mathematical ability/I.Q.
    Physics requires skills that are not found in abundance throughout society, Drama requires skills that are plentiful, hence Physics is likely to be more difficult to more people than Drama.

ReputationRep:
    About resitting, ehh, I think it makes it a tad fairer, resitting is not that common. I have resat one module in my life, it was an economics module, I got a D, it was the highest mark in the class, this was a class where we all got As and Bs overall, most of us are going to oxbridge, and the ones who aren't are going to really prestigious universities, warwick/imperial/bath/LSE I think are the others. That D was completely freakish, nobody knows what happened to us. We all resat and I think the entire class minus one got As.

So yes, under the old system if you had a freak paper it was tough crap and that made it quite a notorious system. But that doesn't make it fairer. Or even harder, it just takes away credibility alot like resits are now.

Edit: I'm not arguing that alevels aren't easier, it seems clear to me they are, looking at older papers. I'm just saying that refusing resits takes away credibility just like allowing them does.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.