Turn on thread page Beta

a levels:mickey mouse A grades vs proper subject B grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    define difficulty. from who's point of view? how can we measure an 'average difficulty' without going back to mathematical ability/I.Q.
    im not measuring it or defining it. i assume whatever it is, the student has an equality of it to allow me to make a further assessment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    im not measuring it or defining it. i assume whatever it is, the student has an equality of it to allow me to make a further assessment.
    then i'd have to agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    which is better? lots of people in my school got AAA with eg Drama IT and Art. others got BBB with math phys and chem. which is better?
    I would say that the BBB is more impressive. I think that it is harder to get higher grades in Sciences not because the A-level is harder but because of the style of questioning. Which most of the science A-levels that I sat the questions were short question worth a maximum of 4-5 marks. This means that your knowledge is tested in detail and you have to know the subject very well. There is very little room for waffle. Where as in more Artistic subjects there seem to be a lot more essay questions where you get the marks for your style of writting and there are many points that you can make within the essay to pick up marks.

I don't know if this makes sense :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I would say that the BBB is more impressive. I think that it is harder to get higher grades in Sciences not because the A-level is harder but because of the style of questioning. Which most of the science A-levels that I sat the questions were short question worth a maximum of 4-5 marks. This means that your knowledge is tested in detail and you have to know the subject very well. There is very little room for waffle. Where as in more Artistic subjects there seem to be a lot more essay questions where you get the marks for your style of writting and there are many points that you can make within the essay to pick up marks.

i understand and i think it makes a great deal of sense.

ReputationRep:

It makes no sense whatsoever. Upload a load of waffle in an English Lit A2 exam and u'll score no higher than a D, if you're lucky. You have to know the texts inside out since one is not permitted to take texts into the exam and since the examiners could ask anything they like about the text. In maths, you know vaguely what's coming up on the paper, e.g. in pure 3, you know there'll be something on vectors, implicit differentiation, etc, but in English, they could ask you on something you haven't even thought about, with no access to the text. And with regards to your point about getting marks for style of writing, this will be a couple of marks at the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    It makes no sense whatsoever.
    i understand and i think it makes a great deal of sense.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    We disagree yet again.....call it a personality clash.

ReputationRep:
    We disagree yet again.....call it a personality clash.
    I supported your argument. You write waffle it can cost you more in essay type subjects such as politics, law, history etc. I can only speak for A level law and politics though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I supported your argument. You write waffle it can cost you more in essay type subjects such as politics, law, history etc. I can only speak for A level law and politics though.
    This is true.

Coming back to the original post, I also find it irritating when people say that drama is a "mickey-mouse" subject. I don't study drama, but have friends who do, and can say that it's extremely time-consuming in terms of rehearsals and learning lines, whereas in physics, you can learn the concepts and that's that. The concepts may be more difficult to grasp in physics than in drama (though this is subjective), but you cannot say that there is a lighter workload in drama because it's simply not true - there are also several written papers which involve the detailed study of drama.

ReputationRep:
    but you cannot say that there is a lighter workload in drama because it's simply not true - there are also several written papers which involve the detailed study of drama.
    You can apply this to art and music too

ReputationRep:
    It makes no sense whatsoever. Upload a load of waffle in an English Lit A2 exam and u'll score no higher than a D, if you're lucky. You have to know the texts inside out since one is not permitted to take texts into the exam and since the examiners could ask anything they like about the text. In maths, you know vaguely what's coming up on the paper, e.g. in pure 3, you know there'll be something on vectors, implicit differentiation, etc, but in English, they could ask you on something you haven't even thought about, with no access to the text. And with regards to your point about getting marks for style of writing, this will be a couple of marks at the most.
    I know that you cannot waffle completely I just think that you can waffle more in essay based questions. For example I found it easier to pick up marks in my Biology essay paper than I did in the shorter question paper. I just feel that it gives you a bit more freedom to answer the question where as some of the shoter question papers you have to be very exact to get the mark. So like I said I don't think that arty subjects are easier I just think that it can be easier to pick up some of the marks because of the style of Questioning.

ReputationRep:
    I know that you cannot waffle completely I just think that you can waffle more in essay based questions. For example I found it easier to pick up marks in my Biology essay paper than I did in the shorter question paper. I just feel that it gives you a bit more freedom to answer the question where as some of the shoter question papers you have to be very exact to get the mark. So like I said I don't think that arty subjects are easier I just think that it can be easier to pick up some of the marks because of the style of Questioning.
    But you can't compare a biology essay paper to an English or History A level. You cannot waffle AT ALL - it will be awarded no marks. Essays have to be focused and concise, and the texts are very difficult with extremely abstract concepts (e.g. Keats), so waffle would simply get you nowhere.

This debate could go on forever. I could say to you that I believe science exams offer you more freedom to answer the question in that one can always guess or think through a logical solution - one cannot guess their way through an english lit paper for example.

I have studied both maths and english lit A levels, and can say that english was definitely the more challenging and downright scary exam paper compared to maths, which is a relative safe haven considering that the paper is more predictable.

ReputationRep:
    But you can't compare a biology essay paper to an English or History A level. You cannot waffle AT ALL - it will be awarded no marks. Essays have to be focused and concise, and the texts are very difficult with extremely abstract concepts (e.g. Keats), so waffle would simply get you nowhere.

This debate could go on forever. I could say to you that I believe science exams offer you more freedom to answer the question in that one can always guess or think through a logical solution - one cannot guess their way through an english lit paper for example.

I have studied both maths and english lit A levels, and can say that english was definitely the more challenging and downright scary exam paper compared to maths, which is a relative safe haven considering that the paper is more predictable.
    I suppose it is really just down to personal ability and what you are good at. I know that I found my Geography A2 which was completely essay based easier than the shorter questions that I faced in Biology and Chemisty.

ReputationRep:
    whereas in physics, you can learn the concepts and that's that.
    well, no.

but you cannot say that there is a lighter workload in drama because it's simply not true .
    i have already given my opinion for the comparison of both at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    It makes no sense whatsoever. .
    if her point makes no sense whatsoever, how can you reply to it?

ReputationRep:
    well, no.
    Care to elaborate?

i have already given my opinion for the comparison of both at A-level.
    "Opinion" - not fact. And I'm telling you that your opinion is misinformed and that you lack the basic facts.

ReputationRep:
    if her point makes no sense whatsoever, how can you reply to it?

I meant the theory behind it was nonsensical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    which is better? lots of people in my school got AAA with eg Drama IT and Art. others got BBB with math phys and chem. which is better?
    im doing drama
    its not a micky mouse subject.ive never worked so hard in my life and yet been so well rewarded by something.

ReputationRep:
    Care to elaborate?
    yes. you are wrong.

"Opinion" - not fact.
    thats what i said, yes.

And I'm telling you that your opinion is misinformed and that you lack the basic facts.
    oh? where? incidentally, im telling you that your opinion of my opinion is misinformed and that you lack any facts.

ReputationRep:

I meant the theory behind it was nonsensical.
    ok then.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.