Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a levels:mickey mouse A grades vs proper subject B grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    yes. you are wrong.
    So I am completely incorrect in saying that it is necessary to devote more time to a subject such as drama, which requires extensive rehearsal time out of college hours, than it is necessary to devote to physics, which simply involves the regurgitation of physics facts onto an exam paper?

My friends who studied drama were in college until 9 o'clock for several nights a week practising and learning their lines. They also had to do extensive revision for a total of 4 written papers on top of this. Does A-level physics require you to do this? I studied A-level maths, which is broadly similar, and I say for this that the answer is an emphatic 'no'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    So I am completely incorrect in saying that it is necessary to devote more time to a subject such as drama, which requires extensive rehearsal time out of college hours, than it is necessary to devote to physics, which simply involves the regurgitation of physics facts onto an exam paper?

My friends who studied drama were in college until 9 o'clock for several nights a week practising and learning their lines. They also had to do extensive revision for a total of 4 written papers on top of this. Does A-level physics require you to do this? I studied A-level maths, which is broadly similar, and I say for this that the answer is an emphatic 'no'.
    yey ...someone who appreciates how sodding hard drama is!
    oh i remember those loooong nights.....grrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    Although I don't study drama, I find it annoying when people who study physics etc look down on subjects such as drama which they couldn't do in a million years because anything outside the text book is a no-go area. It's so easy to learn science facts and reproduce them in an exam, and I do speak from experience here, whereas it's not so easy to do something artistic such as convincingly portray a role or to produce a series of paintings.

ReputationRep:

that is your opinion. i respect that. i had hoped you would have afforded me the same courtesy void of any direct refutation. my objection relates/related to nothing you now suggest here, as the quote makes clear.

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't study drama, I find it annoying when people who study physics etc look down on subjects such as drama which they couldn't do in a million years because anything outside the text book is a no-go area. It's so easy to learn science facts and reproduce them in an exam, and I do speak from experience here, whereas it's not so easy to do something artistic such as convincingly portray a role or to produce a series of paintings.
    i find it annoying when people right off scientific or more academic subjects as regugitating "some concepts" out of a book having "grasped" them, but each to their own. surprisingly, the same people who find it necessary to defend the arts from unqualified labelling of being mickey mouse.

ReputationRep:
    here here.
    although i respect the fact that subjects such as maths and physics require a good level of intelligence i would like more people to understand that just because something isnt written in text doesnt mean it is less important. i did better in drama than maths but found the drama exam harder. using ones imagination is often harder than reproducing learnt fatcs and figures.

ReputationRep:
    that is your opinion. i respect that. i had hoped you would have afforded me the same courtesy void of any direct refutation. my objection relates/related to nothing you now suggest here, as the quote makes clear.
    You're digressing into pedantry as per usual.

ReputationRep:
    i find it annoying when people right off scientific or more academic subjects as regugitating "some concepts" out of a book having "grasped" them, but each to their own. surprisingly, the same people who find it necessary to defend the arts from unqualified labelling of being mickey mouse.
    Having studied academic subjects, I'm not "writing them off", merely pointing out a common prejudice held amongst certain people.

ReputationRep:
    You're digressing into pedantry as per usual.
    i dont like straw men. in this case ill take your unusually succinct reply as an acceptance of my argument

ReputationRep:
    here here.
    although i respect the fact that subjects such as maths and physics require a good level of intelligence i would like more people to understand that just because something isnt written in text doesnt mean it is less important. i did better in drama than maths but found the drama exam harder. using ones imagination is often harder than reproducing learnt fatcs and figures.
    This is exactly what I'm saying! I found English Lit more difficult than Maths for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's not that hard! I've been treading the boards for years and I'd much rather do that than tackle mathematical problems.

ReputationRep:
    i dont like straw men. in this case ill take your unusually succinct reply as an acceptance of my argument
    As if.

ReputationRep:
    Having studied academic subjects, I'm not "writing them off", merely pointing out a common prejudice held amongst certain people.
    where?

"I find it annoying when people who study physics etc look down on subjects such as drama which they couldn't do in a million years because anything outside the text book is a no-go area. It's so easy to learn science facts and reproduce them in an exam, and I do speak from experience here, whereas it's not so easy to do something artistic such as convincingly portray a role or to produce a series of paintings"

thats slating academics as looking down their noses at other subjects, then slating academics as being rather talentless elsewhere, then promoting arts as being harder, and academic subjects as being rather easy to perform in. where are you pointing out the prejudice and where are you not writing off academics in favour of art subjects? your opinion of arts is no better than mine of physics of which you called "misinformed" and lacking in "the basic facts". the difference being, i was quite happy to accept your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I don't think you realise how hard science subjects are. I did biology and chemistry and I had to give up my lunchtimes and after school times to carry out my practicle work and if it was as easy as just regugitating facts onto an exam paper then it would be easier to get high grades in science than if actually is. Doing sciences involves a lot of understanding. My AS level was in Drama and theater studies so I know that it takes time outside school to reherse I spent loads of time learning my lines of the play that we did in y12, however although it was difficult in my personal Oppinion it is not any more work than I had to put into my other subjects because the after school time was concentrated in pockets around the year where as the science work was spread thoughout. So I don't think that drama involves more work than science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, it's not that hard! I've been treading the boards for years and I'd much rather do that than tackle mathematical problems.
    I think that it does boil down to one's own opinion and personal strengths, though my aim was not to condemn certain subjects, merely point out one way in which drama could be considered more difficult than science disciplines.

ReputationRep:
    As if.
    well, my naivety and goodwill had not considered personal obstacles in that sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Firstly I don't think you realise how hard science subjects are. I did biology and chemistry and I had to give up my lunchtimes and after school times to carry out my practicle work and if it was as easy as just regugitating facts onto an exam paper then it would be easier to get high grades in science than if actually is. Doing sciences involves a lot of understanding. My AS level was in Drama and theater studies so I know that it takes time outside school to reherse I spent loads of time learning my lines of the play that we did in y12, however although it was difficult in my personal Oppinion it is not any more work than I had to put into my other subjects because the after school time was concentrated in pockets around the year where as the science work was spread thoughout. So I don't think that drama involves more work than science.
    again, that makes sense to me. i had originally made an assessment based on an equality of talent, since this is understandably subjective and preferably negatable.

i have just taken both drama and art at AS level and got B's in both subject which i am pleased about. Although i feel disappointed about drama because i messed up one of the papers and just missed a C which brought my grade down. I got a very good A for my practical which i spent 6 months working on, and then weeks and weeks staying behind for hours after school rehersing and building set costume and stuff. It was so time consuming and the same with preparation for my art exam. However i am pleased with these grades because a lot of the work comes from my own creativity. I believe had i chosen to take science based subjects i could have gained A's because i am good at them and have the ability to learn facts. I get satisfaction from being creative however creativity makes getting high grades very difficult because it requires a lot of depth and knowledge that can't be learnt entirely from a book in order to do well. However i would like to point out i understand that other subjects require extra time and learning depth and thinking so really no subjects are better than other subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    loads of people have put time and effort into put science subjects and artistic subjects and in my personal opinion both consume alot of time and require effort. however in my experience drama has consumed the most energy not just physically but mentally.
    i am not great at science but managed to get a bb at gcse despite a dd prediction. did i understand the revision guides? not really! did i learn formulae and rules? yes. with drama i HAD to know my lines. I HAD to work as a team. i HAD to understand theatre practitioners work and i HAD to read and analyse scripts and books if i had any chance of passing the exam.

ReputationRep:
    If you're debating which subject is easier, surely it depends on the person. Some people are scientifically minded, and therefore find facts and figures easier to grasp. Some are more adept at the arts, and so will do well in english and drama. Not that it really matters...an A level's an A level and we all have different paths we want to follow :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.