Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a levels:mickey mouse A grades vs proper subject B grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    thats slating academics as looking down their noses at other subjects, then slating academics as being rather talentless elsewhere, then promoting arts as being harder, and academic subjects as being rather easy to perform in. where are you pointing out the prejudice and where are you not writing off academics in favour of art subjects? your opinion of arts is no better than mine of physics of which you called "misinformed" and lacking in "the basic facts". the difference being, i was quite happy to accept your opinion.
    I wasn't "slating academics" (to use your hideous colloquialism), merely pointing out that I find certain academics who do "look down their noses" at drama etc irritating. This in itself is "pointing out the prejudice".

I think you're also blurring the boundaries rather unfairly between academic subjects and arts. You make the distinction between "academic subjects" and "arts", though subjects such as History and English are both arts and academic subjects.

My opinion of arts is better than your opinion of physics (whatever that is) in that I have aimed to point out merely one way in which drama (I am talking about a specific subject, not the arts in general), could be considered harder than physics. And having studied A level maths, I'm hardly likely to write it off as really easy as you seem to think that I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tourniquet)
    If you're debating which subject is easier, surely it depends on the person. Some people are scientifically minded, and therefore find facts and figures easier to grasp. Some are more adept at the arts, and so will do well in english and drama.
    indeed, but what if we put ourselves in a hypothetical situation where those talents are equal to one another?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    So I don't think that drama involves more work than science.
    Though Vienna seems to think that science involves more work than Drama, not that they are equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    I wasn't "slating academics" (to use your hideous colloquialism),
    lol

merely pointing out that I find certain academics who do "look down their noses" at drama etc irritating. This in itself is "pointing out the prejudice".
    certain academics? or "people who study physics etc" and talking of prejudices, "which they couldn't do in a million years because anything outside the text book is a no-go area. It's so easy to learn science facts"

I think you're also blurring the boundaries rather unfairly between academic subjects and arts. You make the distinction between "academic subjects" and "arts", though subjects such as History and English are both arts and academic subjects.

My opinion of arts is better than your opinion of physics (whatever that is) in that I have aimed to point out merely one way in which drama (I am talking about a specific subject, not the arts in general), could be considered harder than physics. And having studied A level maths, I'm hardly likely to write it off as really easy as you seem to think that I'm doing.
    well that is an answer that would have originally provided greater and more modest clarity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    loads of people have put time and effort into put science subjects and artistic subjects and in my personal opinion both consume alot of time and require effort. however in my experience drama has consumed the most energy not just physically but mentally.
    i am not great at science but managed to get a bb at gcse despite a dd prediction. did i understand the revision guides? not really! did i learn formulae and rules? yes. with drama i HAD to know my lines. I HAD to work as a team. i HAD to understand theatre practitioners work and i HAD to read and analyse scripts and books if i had any chance of passing the exam.
    I didn't say you didn't have to do all these things all I said was that in my oppinion you have to put in an equal amount of time and effort into Science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Though Vienna seems to think that science involves more work than Drama, not that they are equal.
    no i dont. because i happen to refute your prejudicial points, does not mean i have any of my own.

ReputationRep:
    indeed, but what if we put ourselves in a hypothetical situation where those talents are equal to one another?
    If we were in this hypothetical situation, drama would still require lots of time for rehearsals, learning pages of text, learning about theatrical concepts, theories, studying pieces of drama, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    If we were in this hypothetical situation, drama would still require lots of time for rehearsals, learning pages of text, learning about theatrical concepts, theories, studying pieces of drama, etc etc.
    im sure of it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you didn't have to do all these things all I said was that in my oppinion you have to put in an equal amount of time and effort into Science subjects.
    and i agree with that. except i think drama is more physically and mentally tiring.

ReputationRep:
    and i agree with that. except i think drama is more physically and mentally tiring.
    same effort but more tiring? can you explain that?

ReputationRep:
    no i dont. because i happen to refute your prejudicial points, does not mean i have any of my own.
    the workload for Physics A-level is far beyond that of Drama.
    Are you still going to claim you don't think Physics has a greater workload?

ReputationRep:
    I think that they are equal in that sense. After my practical work for Drama I was physically and mentally tired but I was really tired when I did my practical work for science too because I was on my feet for hours doing the same experiment over and over and then I had to work out so much useing equations ect then write it up and it was also very tireing.

ReputationRep:
    I think that they are equal in that sense. After my practical work for Drama I was physically and mentally tired but I was really tired when I did my practical work for science too because I was on my feet for hours doing the same experiment over and over and then I had to work out so much useing equations ect then write it up and it was also very tireing.
    Awwwh......didums....

ReputationRep:
    same effort but more tiring? can you explain that?
    of course!
    you can put in equal amounts of effort but end up more tired from one workload than another?
    you can read a sicence book for hours and be tired but in my case rehearsals and scriptwork (both analysing and remembering lines and objectives) left me more tired.

ReputationRep:
    Are you still going to claim you don't think Physics has a greater workload?
    if you consider the context that i set that in, which was is not present in your assertion. namely, that at A-level and with talents being equal, the workload to acquire the skills required to succeed at Physics is greater than that to ACQUIRE knowledge from a drama course. in my opinion, naturally.

ReputationRep:
    if you consider the context that i set that in, which was is not present in your assertion. namely, that at A-level and with talents being equal, the workload to acquire the skills required to succeed at Physics is greater than that to ACQUIRE knowledge from a drama course. in my opinion, naturally.
    What do you have to support your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    of course!
    you can put in equal amounts of effort but end up more tired from one workload than another?
    no.

if the same object, with the same capacities of recovery is extered to the same amount of effort than the same object will experience the same level of tiredness.

you can read a sicence book for hours and be tired but in my case rehearsals and scriptwork (both analysing and remembering lines and objectives) left me more tired.
    so one was more effort than the other, for you.

ReputationRep:
    What do you have to support your opinion?
    as i said about two pages back, that which im aware of and my own knowledge. the basic and necessary principles of an opinion.

your opinion is strengthened in entirely the same manner.

ReputationRep:
    of course!
    Absolutely. When I use a running machine for 15mins (I don't go very fast) I am fit to drop. Then, I use a walking (sort of step machine thingy) for 15 minutes and I don't feel so bad. Imagine my surprise to find I actually burn of more calories on the walky step thing than the treadmill!

So there you go. A clear example of feeling much more tired doing less than more.

ReputationRep:
    no.

if the same object, with the same capacities of recovery is extered to the same amount of effort than the same object will experience the same level of tiredness.

so one was more effort than the other, for you.
    wtf?! no. one subjectwas more demanding, drama. i put in equal amounts of effort.if you knew me id allow you to assume i put in different amounts of effort but seeings as you dont im telling you the effort i put into my subjects.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.