Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a levels:mickey mouse A grades vs proper subject B grades watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Absolutely. When I use a running machine for 15mins (I don't go very fast) I am fit to drop. Then, I use a walking (sort of step machine thingy) for 15 minutes and I don't feel so bad. Imagine my surprise to find I actually burn of more calories on the walky step thing than the treadmill!

So there you go. A clear example of feeling much more tired doing less than more.
    hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Absolutely. When I use a running machine for 15mins (I don't go very fast) I am fit to drop. Then, I use a walking (sort of step machine thingy) for 15 minutes and I don't feel so bad. Imagine my surprise to find I actually burn of more calories on the walky step thing than the treadmill!

So there you go. A clear example of feeling much more tired doing less than more.
    here here howard know what hes talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    as i said about two pages back, that which im aware of and my own knowledge. the basic and necessary principles of an opinion.

your opinion is strengthened in entirely the same manner.
    OK, I am just wondering what your belief that the skills for Physics are less-easily attainable than those for Drama is based upon.

My original hypothesis that Drama may in some respects be more time-consuming (if all talents are equal) was based upon my observance of my Drama friends spending 16 hours a week rehearsing, then going home to revise for hours for the written papers, and my physics friends spending 8 hours a week revising and answering homeworks set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    wtf?! no. one subjectwas more demanding, drama. i put in equal amounts of effort.if you knew me id allow you to assume i put in different amounts of effort but seeings as you dont im telling you the effort i put into my subjects.
    the demand of a subject = the reward obtained from 1 unit of effort.

if drama was more demanding than physics as you say, by twice as much for example then,

drama(2) = effort/result

physics(1) = effort/result

if you applied equal effort then we could expect the result for physics would be twice as great BUT you still applied the same effort!!!

at the same time if you want to acheive the same grades in both but one is more demanding than the other,

drama * same result = effort required for drama
    physics * same result = effort required for physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    My original hypothesis that Drama may in some respects be more time-consuming (if all talents are equal) was based upon my observance of my Drama friends spending 16 hours a week rehearsing, then going home to revise for hours for the written papers, and my physics friends spending 8 hours a week revising and answering homeworks set.
    Don't forget to factor in the practicle papers that you get for science too

ReputationRep:
    the demand of a subject = the reward obtained from 1 unit of effort.

if drama was more demanding than physics as you say, by twice as much for example then,

drama(2) = effort/result

physics(1) = effort/result

if you applied equal effort then we could expect the result for physics would be twice as great BUT you still applied the same effort!!!
    No. I didn't say drama was more demanding. I said it was more time-consuming. There's a difference. I'm saying that some people may feel that, due to the practical nature of the course, it is necessary to invest more time in order to produce the same outcome. I know that it took more time to rehearse and practise my A level music repertoire than it did to make sure I could regurgitate and understand all the facts in Stats 2, which has equal weighting.

ReputationRep:
    No. I didn't say drama was more demanding. I said it was more time-consuming. There's a difference. I'm saying that some people may feel that, due to the practical nature of the course, it is necessary to invest more time in order to produce the same outcome. I know that it took more time to rehearse and practise my A level music repertoire than it did to make sure I could regurgitate and understand all the facts in Stats 2, which has equal weighting.
    i was actually responding to icklehc.

ReputationRep:
    i was actually responding to icklehc.
    Well for what it's worth I happen to agree with you in response to icklehc, though I'm still wondering what your belief that the skills needed for physics are less easily attainable etc etc is based upon, rather than it just being "your opinion based upon what you think is correct without having first-hand experience".

ReputationRep:
    Well for what it's worth I happen to agree with you in response to icklehc, though I'm still wondering what your belief that the skills needed for physics are less easily attainable etc etc is based upon, rather than it just being "your opinion based upon what you think is correct without having first-hand experience".
    my opinion is based on my experiences and my beliefs and any knowledge that I have obtained, thats what makes it my opinion.

without having first hand experience?

ReputationRep:
    my opinion is based on my experiences and my beliefs and any knowledge that I have obtained, thats what makes it my opinion.

without having first hand experience?
    And that's why there is no such thing as a micky mouse subject. It's entirely subjective as to whether any given subject is either difficult or requires a lot of work. It is therefore impossible to make any absolute comparisons between them. An attempt to classify a subject as a micky mouse subject or otherwise is either subjective or false, since it depends in the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    And that's why there is no such thing as a micky mouse subject.
    i cant find any correlation. whether i believe one subject is mickey mouse or not does not render it impossible.

It's entirely subjective as to whether any given subject is either difficult or requires a lot of work. It is therefore impossible to make any absolute comparisons between them. An attempt to classify a subject as a micky mouse subject or otherwise is either subjective or false, since it depends in the individual.
    and thus reputation comes into its own.

ReputationRep:
    i cant find any correlation. whether i believe one subject is mickey mouse or not does not render it impossible.

and thus reputation comes into its own.
    A subject being micky mouse or not is an absolute property. Until you can define a way of classifying subjects as micky mouse or not in a non-subjective way then you can't assert that any subject is a micky mouse subject.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are on a hiding to nothing by trying to claim that one A-level is harder than another.

imh experience A-levels in the sciences require the absorption of lots of knowledge and the way they are structured lends itself to spoon-feeding teaching style. A-levels in the arts encourage more natural creativity and critical thinking (which comes at a later stage in science), whilst the knowledge base is less the intellectual challenge is still as demanding (if not more so). It's apples an oranges really.

It's difficult to give an unbiased opinion, I've always seen the arts as difficult subjects, but that's because I have more of an aptitude for science.

ReputationRep:
    A subject being micky mouse or not is an absolute property. Until you can define a way of classifying subjects as micky mouse or not in a non-subjective way then you can't assert that any subject is a micky mouse subject.
    the number of students able to acheive the same pass mark in one subject being significantly higher than another.

if you took an average 6th form and put them all through Chemistry and then IT or media studies or PhysEd, you could get a clear example of why one is considered to be 'mickey mouse' and the other not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Neither is better. All A-levels are Mickey Mouse exams.
    What would you say the same about someone who has gained A's in all units without resits ?

Physics and all other subjects are demanding in their own way...
    I havent done a single art or drama subject but have done all the sciences and know if i were to do arts I wouldn't have gained A grades...The subject if it doesnt suit you it just wont work out..If someone's slow in the physics department, of course it will be demanding for them as they may have to put much more effort into the subject to gain the same grade as someone it suits!

ReputationRep:
    the number of students able to acheive the same pass mark in one subject being significantly higher than another.

if you took an average 6th form and put them all through Chemistry and then IT or media studies or PhysEd, you could get a clear example of why one is considered to be 'mickey mouse' and the other not.
    Rightio. From the Edexcel provisional GCE data; the proportion of entrants achieving A's. Rounded to 1 d.p.

Art and Design - 31.4%
    Chemistry - 29.4%
    Drama and Theatre Studies - 14.4%
    Economics - 35.4%
    ICT - 10.8%
    Mathematics - 37.4%
    PE - 11.9%
    Physics - 28.0%

Sure thing vienna. As always, your extensive knowledge proves to be entirely correct :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Rightio. From the Edexcel provisional GCE data; the proportion of entrants achieving A's. Rounded to 1 d.p.

Art and Design - 31.4%
    Chemistry - 29.4%
    Drama and Theatre Studies - 14.4%
    Economics - 35.4%
    ICT - 10.8%
    Mathematics - 37.4%
    PE - 11.9%
    Physics - 28.0%

Sure thing vienna. As always, your extensive knowledge proves to be entirely correct :rolleyes:

Do you have any information of the proportion of people getting the lower grades. Because from my experiance of the subjects there is normally quite a large divide in sciences there will be a proportion who do well and then many others will do very badly where as in Drama there seem to be a lot more B's and C's just from my experiance and fewer U's

ReputationRep:
    Rightio. From the Edexcel provisional GCE data; the proportion of entrants
    the word in bold.

i dont think that comment is really necessary, especially in light of the fact that a) my knowledge had nothing to do with the original suggestion b) you spent all afternoon digging out data that cannot be applied to that suggestion. c) your track record of proving my wrong. the EU butchers bones spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.education.guardian.co.uk/...285751,00.html

"Mickey Mouse" Subjects have lower % of A grade than so-called "respectable" subjects. AAA is AAA is AAA. So AAA. Screw you arrogant people who are unable to accept that there are people who do things they enjoy rather than that that won't be sneered at...

ReputationRep:
    Looking at grades achieved is all very well but look at drop out rates. At my college there is a significant difference between those enrolled at AS maths to those who take those exams, and this continues with the A2.

I believe maths has the highest rate of this.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.