Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a levels:mickey mouse A grades vs proper subject B grades watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    That's where I disagree. IT was the most piss-easy course I've ever taken. Bring back the old A-level Computing!
    Computing hasn't gone. And all this talk about easy subjects, surely a lot of this is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    ok ok stop all this ranting. i personally have done art, eng, math, phys chem. i guess it does depend on the individuals talents but nonetheless, the fact remains that some a levels are regarded as crap.what really annoys me is that uni's only ask 'what grades did you get' rather than 'what subjects'.

people at school are choosing mickeys like IT, philosophy, art and DT rather than traditional subjects like french, maths, english because they are thought too hard. this annoys me. i think 'hard' subjects should carry more UCAS points than crap ones. somone with AAA in drama, art is less intelligent than someone with AAA in math, chem and german

even tho people continue to fail these mickey subjects, had these same people taken propr subjects, they would have failed worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    somone with AAA in drama, art is less intelligent than someone with AAA in math, chem and german
    Define intelligence please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yeah, i don't get that eiether, surely its not proof eiether way, the guy with AAA in the arts might be able to get AAA in sciences too and vice verus!

ReputationRep:
    somone with AAA in drama, art is less intelligent than someone with AAA in math, chem and german
    :rolleyes: What a load of rubbish.

Besides, for all you know, they could have been quite capable of getting AAA in maths, chem and german but decided to take art and drama instead. Education should be persuing things that interest you, not just taking the 'hardest' possible subjects so you can boast about how much better you are than everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    how about IQ? and natural ability? and employability? any monkey can sit down with a paintbrush and splash about. as someone who cannot draw who has totally bulled there way through getting an A for art, i know. you can just hand in sheets of red paper in different shapes and say 'this shows my feelings about death. the square shows anger reflected by the angluar shape. the circle shows the never ending cycle of life and death.' an easy A.
    meanwhile the skills gained in math or english are by far superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Yeah, i don't get that eiether, surely its not proof eiether way, the guy with AAA in the arts might be able to get AAA in sciences too and vice verus!
    You get this with law degree candidates. I have approximately equal ability in art subjects and science ones from the oens I've taken - physics and politics.

ReputationRep:
    how about IQ?
    That's debatable. Check the IQ threads, IQ has eben criticised for many reasons. One I remember is that it only assesses one dimensional intelligence.

and natural ability?
    In what?

and employability?
    Degree or A levels?

any monkey can sit down with a paintbrush and splash about.
    Have you actually studied art? It's not just painting you know. I know there are bad problems with art in the Tate gallery such a cow split in half yet Neil Buchanon (sp) gets now credit for his big art attacks. I still remember his one made from banknotes

as someone who cannot draw who has totally bulled there way through getting an A for art, i know.
    I've noticed the same but for English. They can't write a good essay because they don't know the rules of the English language, they often pronounce words wrong as well. I've noticed better English from politics and law students at both degree and A level.

meanwhile the skills gained in math or english are by far superior.
    For what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    they may well have. but which do you think is more likely,the arts candidate succeeding in sciences or the science candidate in arts?dont we all know people in the current GCSE year who are shunning certain subjects becausthe are 'too hard'? why are math and chem classes predominantly 10 a* candidates whereas the arts students tend to be less able? and why do some schools 'advise' less able students against certain subjects as they are too hard? say for example you guys are right, and all subjects are equally hard.why is there this stereotype of the math student as brainy and the communication studies student as a dosser?

ReputationRep:
    What one person finds hard another will find easy. I had a classmate of mine who is excellent at maths and did 2 A levels in it along with physics and achieved AAA and is studying maths at Cambridge. Yet he said he will no doubt do poorly at law.

ReputationRep:
    What one person finds hard another will find easy. I had a classmate of mine who is excellent at maths and did 2 A levels in it along with physics and achieved AAA and is studying maths at Cambridge. Yet he said he will no doubt do poorly at law.
    Yeah... I have a friend who's fantastic at maths and physics, but said he wouldn't be able to history or english or media because he couldn't write the essays!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Engineer and i'd like to say now give me a paint brush and i'll show you a bad painting!

If you want to do an arts course whats wrong with doing arts a-levels? Doesn't make them mickey mouse cos the people who do them can paint and get good grades does it?

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually studied art? It's not just painting you know. I know there are bad problems with art in the Tate gallery such a cow split in half yet Neil Buchanon (sp) gets now credit for his big art attacks. I still remember his one made from banknotes
    I've noticed the same but for English. They can't write a good essay because they don't know the rules of the English language, they often pronounce words wrong as well. I've noticed better English from politics and law students at both degree and A level.
    i totally agree. i have studied both art and eng. i cannot draw. i just did the cutout shapes thing, splashed about paint... and got an A. in eng lit, all we were marked on was ability to refer to time periods and ability to construct a coherant arguement, grammar and spelling were an optional extra.

i bulled in both these subjects and got As.

in phys math and chem, i had to study hard non stop. it cannot be due to ability because i have straight a*s at gcse in all these, it has to be due to the 'dumbing down' of certain 'qualifications'

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Engineer and i'd like to say now give me a paint brush and i'll show you a bad painting!

If you want to do an arts course whats wrong with doing arts a-levels? Doesn't make them mickey mouse cos the people who do them can paint and get good grades does it?
    but thats just it!! people can pass art alevel at grade a without needing to have ANY ability. you can just splash paint around on as many sheets as you can, and as long as you can bull any reason for it, you get an A! i cant draw, and this is how i got my A! this is an outrage.

ReputationRep:
    but thats just it!! people can pass art alevel at grade a without needing to have ANY ability. you can just splash paint around on as many sheets as you can, and as long as you can bull any reason for it, you get an A! i cant draw, and this is how i got my A! this is an outrage.
    it's like the unmade bed and s**t like that.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you just had hidden talent in the arts world

I see what you're saying i mean you can't just ******** a chemistry paper, but then take drama, if you're no good you won't get an A will you?

ReputationRep:
    maybe you just had hidden talent in the arts world

I see what you're saying i mean you can't just ******** a chemistry paper, but then take drama, if you're no good you won't get an A will you?
    yea! anyone can rant scream and dress up! and what does this teach them? maybe self confidence, but does this warrant an alevel?

ReputationRep:
    I find these more impressive than some of the famous articles in the Tate Gallery

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...ie=UTF-8&hl=en

ReputationRep:
    the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience
    and a basic level of numeracy and literacy

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.