Edexcel IGCSE history (Germany 1918-1945)

Watch
Monmo74
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've realised that I don't know the difference between the Weimar Republic and the Weimar constitution so could somebody give me a quick like bullet point answers for a B(4 mark on consequences) question on each do I can understand what the difference is? Thanks!

Ps. I have looked it up but all of the answers seemed a bit convoluted and confusing >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teutonic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...ev_print.shtml
BlueHighlighter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although I'm studying with WJEC, the content should be pretty similar.
First, start with the Weimar Republic. The Weimar Republic was the name given to the government that was set up after WW1. They were named after the fact that they met in Weimar not Berlin (due to riots). I've outlined some key things about the Weimar Republic; please take note of what your exam board requires you to know:
Spoiler:
Show
  • The Weimar ran from 1918-1933; up until the Nazi's gained power.
  • The Weimar was ran, in most, by the Social Democratic Party. There were, however, coaliton governments.
  • Fredrich Ebert led the Weimar at first, with Paul von Hindenburg taking over in 1925.

Secondly, the Weimar Constitution. This was the constitution of the Weimar Republic; the rules they had to follow and the way the Weimar was run.
Spoiler:
Show
  • The government of the Weimar was known as the Reichstag and Reichsrat.
  • The Reichstag was the part of the government that made laws, however, those laws could be rejected by a 2/3 majority in the Reichsrat.
  • The President was head of state and head of the armed forces. However he did not run the country.
  • The Chancellor was elected by the President and was usually from the majority party in the Reich; he ran the country.
  • With a 2/3 majority of the Reichstag (not Reichsrat), the president could be removed from his position.
  • The president could rule by emergency decree with Article 48. However the Reich could block this, the president was able to dissolve the Reich.
  • Article 48 was a massive flaw in the Weimar; it allowed Hitler to legally remove civil liberties, freedom of speech, etc. from Germany after becoming Chancellor in 1933.

Take from that what you will. Those are in no way an exhaustive list of what the WR and WC were; but it's the most important. But I must reiterate, check with the exam board what you must know.
Monmo74
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by BlueHighlighter)
Although I'm studying with WJEC, the content should be pretty similar.
First, start with the Weimar Republic. The Weimar Republic was the name given to the government that was set up after WW1. They were named after the fact that they met in Weimar not Berlin (due to riots). I've outlined some key things about the Weimar Republic; please take note of what your exam board requires you to know:
Spoiler:
Show
  • The Weimar ran from 1918-1933; up until the Nazi's gained power.
  • The Weimar was ran, in most, by the Social Democratic Party. There were, however, coaliton governments.
  • Fredrich Ebert led the Weimar at first, with Paul von Hindenburg taking over in 1925.

Secondly, the Weimar Constitution. This was the constitution of the Weimar Republic; the rules they had to follow and the way the Weimar was run.
Spoiler:
Show
  • The government of the Weimar was known as the Reichstag and Reichsrat.
  • The Reichstag was the part of the government that made laws, however, those laws could be rejected by a 2/3 majority in the Reichsrat.
  • The President was head of state and head of the armed forces. However he did not run the country.
  • The Chancellor was elected by the President and was usually from the majority party in the Reich; he ran the country.
  • With a 2/3 majority of the Reichstag (not Reichsrat), the president could be removed from his position.
  • The president could rule by emergency decree with Article 48. However the Reich could block this, the president was able to dissolve the Reich.
  • Article 48 was a massive flaw in the Weimar; it allowed Hitler to legally remove civil liberties, freedom of speech, etc. from Germany after becoming Chancellor in 1933.

Take from that what you will. Those are in no way an exhaustive list of what the WR and WC were; but it's the most important. But I must reiterate, check with the exam board what you must know.
This is really helpful thank you! ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads